• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I know it's early, but I am singularly (maybe even plurally) surprised no one has mentioned Obama saluting Marines with a coffee cup in his hand? I'm still on the road (NorthWest), so it's 3hrs later here. This is INGO, si?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It was covered in another thread. It's not deserving of its own thread. He's under no obligation to even return a salute. Was it any worse than this guy?

1977079_10153196494694745_2461586176858191487_n.jpg

Really nothing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not in the boat of "But Bush!"-ing anything O does. He's good enough at that. It's not exactly the highest form of political discussion when all one does is say "But Bush did it". That doesn't excuse it.

And I'm not just referring to this silly coffee thing. I mean the many, many, many things going on... the much larger things. Saying "But Bush" as though it's a valid excuse for bad decisions doesn't add to the discussion or solution.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    They both should have been aware that they will be on camera and prepare accordingly, i.e. lose the coffee cup, give the dog to an aide. Least of our concerns, but tacky.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I put this under the same category as presidents putting their feet on the Oval Office desk. Also, like GP1A7R said, it doesnt make it right just because someone else did it.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I put this under the same category as presidents putting their feet on the Oval Office desk. Also, like GP1A7R said, it doesnt make it right just because someone else did it.

Yes, huh!

"Well, you see, officer, that other guy was speeding so I was just following the flow of traffic."
    "That's nice, here's your ticket!"
    "Darn JBT's..."

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I'm not in the boat of "But Bush!"-ing anything O does. He's good enough at that. It's not exactly the highest form of political discussion when all one does is say "But Bush did it". That doesn't excuse it.

And I'm not just referring to this silly coffee thing. I mean the many, many, many things going on... the much larger things. Saying "But Bush" as though it's a valid excuse for bad decisions doesn't add to the discussion or solution.

I agree.. For me, using the "but Bush..." Argument just cements how the accountability is there, it's just the other side handing it out. If Bush had a Marine on umbrella duty while giving a speech the GOP would say "hey he's the leader of the free world we can have someone hold an umbrella for him" but when Obama does it it's "DAGNABBIT ONLY COMMIES DO THAT!!"

As for the saluting, while it should be done properly it really isn't that big a deal.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I agree with pretty much everything said here. Some aide should have mentioned this to him and removed the cup before he exited. I'm sure he's got lots on his mind. I don't care what Bush did. Symbols are important.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The point behind the "but Bush" argument is this. When Obama does it, only his haters are offended. When Bush does it, only his haters are offended. In almost every case, it's only a minority that gets offended so there's no need to correct the action. If people would get offended at like actions of everyone, there might actually be enough to affect some real ****ing change instead of running around the conference table.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The president is just a performer for you to get mad at. An entertainer. He'll do his tricks for a few years and then he'll be replaced by another. Americans get to feel empowered that they had their voice heard.

The ironic part is that in every regard Obama is just a continuation of the status quo; the inevitable downward spiral that was set in motion long ago. He has presided over the same old cronyism, welfare state, diminishing freedoms, bailouts, and war. Not to mention personal elitism. Its all been done before. "But Bush" posts are to give people -- especially GOP partisans -- some of that lost perspective. They obviously missed a lot of these same outrages during the last presidency.

America has serious problems, but instead of focusing on the big picture, people are captivated by Obama's salutes, how he says the pledge, and whether he wears a flag pin. IMO these are intentional distractions to keep potential opponents and activists neutralized. Go ahead and stew about something trivial while the agenda moves forward unopposed.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    We know he doesnt have to do it. The reason they do it is respect. And the reason Obama does it, is political. This is a gaffe, he hates doing it, he hates our military. This is just him doing what he does. It is disrespectful. If you are going to salute a serviceman, then do it, dont put your latte in front of your face and look like you are better than everyone else. Its just more of the same crap from him. Bush loves our troops and we all know it. Its a different story with obama.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have plenty of problems with the President, but this isn't one of them.

Somewhere, deep in my past, I remember being told never to salute, or return a salute unless in uniform. Frankly, a guy in a business suit returning a salute looks goofy regardless of what is in his hands....except for Reagan (who started this saluting in street clothes thing to begin with).

Reagan-40-Salute.jpg

Top Bottom