• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    You know, you have a very good point, and that's the only part of what I posted that I'm divided on.

Some dude approaches me at a gas station, says he's starving, asks for money. I tell him no man, but I'll take you to the McDonald's across the street and buy you a meal, I could use a cheeseburger myself. He walks away. Guess he wasn't hungry after all? Maybe I should've offered the liquor store down the street instead?

Someone giving alms is free to put conditions on those alms. HOWEVER..I have a problem with the government doing this as a systemic thing. There will be problems with false positives, or legitimate use of opiates or methamphetamine as prescribed medication. There will be a problem with people switching to harder drugs and turning to crime to support addictions, or turning to crime as they fail and benefits are cut off. Some benefits such as disability are contigent on money already paid into the social security system through taxes, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that being conditional. I have a problem with the fact only SOME drugs being tested for, and others being perfectly acceptable. I have a problem with drug testing in general, consider it insulting and invasive; someone is perfectly free to drink however they want, but is punished for losing control and screwing up while drunk, and I believe this philosophy should be extended to other drugs. Might as well toss this particular objection onto the pile of other reasons why I think it's bad law.

And then, really, what's unreasonable? Once upon a time it was reasonable that a black guy counted for 3/5ths of a person when counting population. Once upon a time it was reasonable you couldn't vote if you didn't own a penis. Just saying reasonable is subject to interpretation and to change. My interpretation says the state may have the power to force me to **** in a cup so it can sniff it, but it doesn't have the moral right.

can i have a happy meal? :D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Which will be the next program to demand body samples from participants? Receiving Social Security checks? Attending public school? Being on Unemployment? Participating in Obamacare?

boiling-frog.png

Ahh, Fascism feels so good on my aching joints...

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Which will be the next program to demand body samples from participants? Receiving Social Security checks? Attending public school? Being on Unemployment? Participating in Obamacare?

boiling-frog.png

Ahh, Fascism feels so good on my aching joints...

Yeah those will probably have drug tests and the like too. There's also a pretty solid logical justification for doing so. The issue lies in the premise that the government should be offering these programs.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Yeah those will probably have drug tests and the like too. There's also a pretty solid logical justification for doing so. The issue lies in the premise that the government should be offering these programs.

I don't agree with any of those programs I mentioned, but if you are forced to pay for them, then you shouldn't be forced to give body samples to use them.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I don't agree with any of those programs I mentioned, but if you are forced to pay for them, then you shouldn't be forced to give body samples to use them.

Exactly. Since we're using taxpayer money to fund these programs then it's incumbent upon the government to use that money responsibly, ensuring that it goes to the right people, the system isn't being abused etc.

Dark purple..

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Exactly. Since we're using taxpayer money to fund these programs then it's incumbent upon the government to use that money responsibly, ensuring that it goes to the right people, the system isn't being abused etc.

Dark purple..

Who decides who the "right people" are?

Extrapolating this philosophy can lead to class favoritism, racism, etc.

I'd rather there be no redistributive programs in place to begin with.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I have very strong feelings on this subject but I dont think I can express them without getting banned for "racism."

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Who decides who the "right people" are?

Extrapolating this philosophy can lead to class favoritism, racism, etc.

I'd rather there be no redistributive programs in place to begin with.

So would I. But that isn't the case right now.

Regardless, the golden rule applies here: he who has the gold makes the rules. By extension, he who has the gold gets to decide who is a "right person." If the people of Florida have determined that drug users are not "right" enough, so be it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    They only have the gold because they stole it though.

Sets a bad precident, IMO.

You speak as if government is completely separated from the people. Are not the elected representatives of Florida the voices of the people of Florida? In theory, this is working exactly as it should. The people speak through their reps. Government isn't entirely unaccountable to the people, even if it seems like that at times.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You speak as if government is completely separated from the people. Are not the elected representatives of Florida the voices of the people of Florida? In theory, this is working exactly as it should. The people speak through their reps. Government isn't entirely unaccountable to the people, even if it seems like that at times.

That is democracy, not a representative republic.

Mob rule is tyrannical by nature, just lots of little tyrants instead of one big one.

I'm not in love with this Florida Law. It is Florida's perogative though.

Who will be the next class of "ner do wells" that are targeted? :dunno:

My logical guess is "illegals". You will have to provide proof of citizenship in order to receive any benefits.

While on their face, these aren't bad ideas, I just think that the unintended consequences will outweigh the near term gains, if any are found.

Top Bottom