fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    did you let this aquarium cycle? Your denitrifying bacteria should be taking care of that ammonia with only 1 fish? Did you just do a water change? You need to check your tap water for ammonia, it may have to be treated before going in the tank.

Hadn't changed water recently

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ammonia is 0.50 ppm, Nitrite is 0.25 ppm, and Nitrate is 5.0 ppm

Biological system is back up and working...however, the rainbow fish doesn't really eat any food but maybe some finely crushed betta food.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    But you need to change the water to get rid of the excess nutrients in the water and to help dilute the ammonia and nitrite spike.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    You're cruising right along through the cycle....changing the water now will help increase the likelihood the rainbow shark lives through it but will prolong the process.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    But you need to change the water to get rid of the excess nutrients in the water and to help dilute the ammonia and nitrite spike.

You're cruising right along through the cycle....changing the water now will help increase the likelihood the rainbow shark lives through it but will prolong the process.

Yea...I gotta vacuum all the food the silly fish didn't eat. I also picked up some Seachem Prime, so that suppose to remove some of the bad stuff in the water and still allow my tank to cycle. I need some new idea what to feed the rainbow shark...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Try bloodworms, my fish devour them. I wouldn't worry to much about phosphates in your tank, your getting plenty of them from your tap water.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Yea...I gotta vacuum all the food the silly fish didn't eat. I also picked up some Seachem Prime, so that suppose to remove some of the bad stuff in the water and still allow my tank to cycle. I need some new idea what to feed the rainbow shark...

Prime FTW.

I tend to skim food out manually if there's ever overfeeding with those ridiculously small nets. Do a few dozen swipes/sweeps through the tank gently and see how much you can collect. It'll probably be more than you'd think. At least, I was always surprised at how much was actually floating in there.

I had great success with goldfish flakes for the red-tail/red-fin. If they get hungry enough you get can them to transition. If they're finicky, they die. Nature is a cruel mistress.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    They are freeze dried, but they are tiny, maybe a 1/4" long. They have them at Walmart, just don't get the brine shrimp, I haven't had anything that would eat those.

I have some omega one dried bloodworms...my old betta ate them good

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok...picked up about a hundred pounds of pool filter sand. I think I'm gonna like the looks of sand in the fish tank...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    100 lbs??? Not for the 10? That's gonna be one deep sandbed!:D

lol...no, 100 pounds for the 55 gal tank I'm getting on sunday. I'm thinking about putting 20 pounds or so in the 10 gal tank and see how the fish takes to it...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok, glad your not going to bury your aquarium under sand! You got everything ready for it?

the 55 gal? not yet...need to figure out if I can use real rocks to create hiding spots, I've been told you cannot use real rocks...or that what I thought I read. I removed all the gravel from the 10 gal....holy crap, it was filthy. Back to cloudy water again... :P

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    the 55 gal? not yet...need to figure out if I can use real rocks to create hiding spots, I've been told you cannot use real rocks...or that what I thought I read. I removed all the gravel from the 10 gal....holy crap, it was filthy. Back to cloudy water again... :P
    You can, just make sure it's clean... You can buy rock (probably safer) or use ones you find, but who knows what else your putting in the tank.

its amazing how much poop there is in all that gravel, I've had my 30 going for over 5 years, I'd hate to see the poo collection I've got down there!

Top Bottom