• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I informed after being involved in a minor accident a year or two ago (18-wheeler cleaned my mirror off with state trooper following). Officer let me out of the car without disarming to talk it over with him and the trucker. Easy now to see why trucker paid for damage on the spot, haha. Cop said don't reach for yours and I won't reach for mine. Pretty cool guy, actually.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Personally, I carry my firearm holstered between the center console and the passenger seat while driving, registration obviously in glovebox, and license in center console. I have yet to be stopped, but when it does happen, I will inform the officer I have a license to carry, and the location in relevance to the items he is asking for.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    License and registration please.

- sure officer, but I must inform you im a black belt in karate.

i have no intentions oh hiding my weapon from the officer. If he ask, I'll tell him where they are. If all he wants is license and reg, that's all he gets. Now if for any reason he asks me to step out if the car, at that point something other than a traffic citation is likely going on and at that point I'd offer it up. But as long as it's not relevant to the stop, I'm just not saying anything. Because it's not relevant.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Since we no longer have to keep the license on our person, his recommendation is full of ****. It's full of **** anyway, but it's even fuller now.

Whats the point of a LEO asking where it is if he's not planning on confiscating it?

i won't disclose. May not even answer the question directly if asked. It's a nunyuz issue.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I know many don't agree, but IMHO, the officer should be made aware of any weapon in the vehicle they might happen to find/notice in the course of a traffic stop. Rest assured, it WILL NOT go well for you if a LEO discover's a gun in your possession that they were not informed of.

What are they gonna do? How is it going to not go well for me?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hah! Maybe seven or eight years ago I was pulled over just north of Spencer when they were doing one of their special OWI enforcement things. It was the one and only time I was asked to exit the vehicle and the one and only time I've been asked about weapons. The silly phony statements and questions were a little irritating like the "you were weaving all over the lane" and the classic "You know your license about to expire, right" when I had a couple of years left before renewal.

When they asked me if I had a gun or any other weapons, I was a little tired of the "interrogation," so I responded "Of course I do."

Then one of them asked me where it was and I said, "Which one?"

He asked, "What do you mean, which one?"

So I then I clarified that since he asked me where my gun was, I needed to know to which of my guns he was referring. The look on their faces was priceless. Apparently the concept of a second gun never occurred to any of them.

So then the lead guy said, "Just don't go for it and we won't have any problems."

Hah.

Classic! Got into an aurgument with a very close LEO buddy of mine. At that time he took possesion and ran numbers on every gun he came across. (he no longer does this.) His excuse was that him having the gun was safer becaue he KNEW where the gun was. So I asked him about the backup weapon or other guns in the car. By the look on his face he sorta missed that one.

Or better yet a cop asking about my gun but completely forgetting about my wife in the vehicle with me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Classic! Got into an aurgument with a very close LEO buddy of mine. At that time he took possesion and ran numbers on every gun he came across. (he no longer does this.) His excuse was that him having the gun was safer becaue he KNEW where the gun was. So I asked him about the backup weapon or other guns in the car. By the look on his face he sorta missed that one.

Or better yet a cop asking about my gun but completely forgetting about my wife in the vehicle with me.

Indeed.

An individual who anticipated that such events can occur might even have something pre-placed specifically for surrendering upon demand in order to placate the sensibilities of such persons who feel the need to disarm private citizens "for their own safety."

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to be in the "inform the officer I was armed" camp, but there were too many stories where the driver did that, and it didn't work out very well for them.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm in the "don't mention it" category, but if the LEO asks where your gun is, are you legallly obligated to answer? If no, I'd answer vaguely.
    No. Ideally, you should be able to ignore the question, but we all know that for some LEO, exercising one's right to remain silent is probable cause to detain and search.

The "safe" middle ground is a non-answer response. Something to the effect of, "I have nothing illegal on me."

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I see these threads often on here. I've had an LTCH since 1988. Over the years, I've learned a few things about carrying a firearm.

1. Don't put it in your glove box with your registration.
    2. Don't carry your wallet on the same side as your firearm. It may feel "weird" at first, but you get used to your wallet on the opposite side.
    3. Don't carry your LTCH directly underneath your driver's license. It is kind of a moot point now because of changes in the law and the linking of name/DOB with your LTCH, but I still keep it buried in my wallet.
    4. Don't offer any more information than you need to on a traffic stop. It keeps things short, sweet and simple.
    5. Stop speeding! Maybe because I'm getting older(47), but I usually see no reason to exceed the posted speed limit by excessive amounts. At most, I might run 5-7 mph over the limit on the highway. In town, I stick very closely to the posted limits. Also, check your license plate light. I routinely walk around my vehicle at night to make sure all my lights are working before I go somewhere.

I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but I have found most encounters with law enforcement are avoidable. That is the way I prefer things.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Normally, I would leave my gun on my hip. Friday, I was out buying suits, so I didn't want the hassle of keeping track of my gun while trying on pants. My relatives also weren't stoked with me leaving the firearm unattended at their place.
    I don't think I would have mentioned it if it had been on my hip, but this stop had me wondering.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Normally, I would leave my gun on my hip. Friday, I was out buying suits, so I didn't want the hassle of keeping track of my gun while trying on pants. My relatives also weren't stoked with me leaving the firearm unattended at their place.
    I don't think I would have mentioned it if it had been on my hip, but this stop had me wondering.

How do you know you'll get the correct pant size when you're not wearing your gun?

Your wordrobe should be sized to fit your firearm, as should your demeanor, your vehicle, your spouse, your training, your life, etc...
    Gun comes first. Work and build around it. If the gun becomes just a casual thing that you have around sometimes, then your name better be Chuck Norris.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here we go again. Why start a gun conversation if you don't have to?

In the last year, I've become the king of the verbal warning.

Number of stops: several.
    Percentage of stops carrying: 100%
    Percentage of times asked about a gun: 0%
    Percentage of times asked for the registration: 100%
    Percentage of times I volunteered that I had a gun: 0%

My 2 cents- DO NOT carry the registration with your gun. Don't volunteer, but don't lie.

NEVER START THE GUN CONVERSATION.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My opinion? I don't agree with his advice at least not in IN. But sounds like a good officer. Didn't take the gun for "his safety", and doesn't sound like he made a big deal of it.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Here we go again. Why start a gun conversation if you don't have to?

In the last year, I've become the king of the verbal warning.

Number of stops: several.
    Percentage of stops carrying: 100%
    Percentage of times asked about a gun: 0%
    Percentage of times asked for the registration: 100%
    Percentage of times I volunteered that I had a gun: 0%

My 2 cents- DO NOT carry the registration with your gun. Don't volunteer, but don't lie.

NEVER START THE GUN CONVERSATION.

you should adjust your driving habits

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Let them know when they need to know. In your GB, let them know so it doesn't appear that you're reaching. Step out... tell them so you can move slowly and deliberately. You tell them when you're certain they're about to find out another way. Otherwise, none of their business.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    How do you know you'll get the correct pant size when you're not wearing your gun?

Your wordrobe should be sized to fit your firearm, as should your demeanor, your vehicle, your spouse, your training, your life, etc...
    Gun comes first. Work and build around it. If the gun becomes just a casual thing that you have around sometimes, then your name better be Chuck Norris.
    He might be one of the smarter ones and OC, rendering the need to fit pants around the firearm moot.

On the other hand, not everybody carries with the same attitude. If someone wants to be casual about the firearm, let 'em. No skin off my back.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I may be tempting fate here, but I haven't been pulled over in years. I generally try to keep my speed down to "the flow of traffic", etc. But I recently decided to get one of those cheap visor pockets to store my registration and proof of insurance in in my truck--no more diving into the console or glove compartment and I always know exactly where it is.

Top Bottom