First time I had to draw my handgun (in this state)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    The op did almost NOTHING right!
    first, he let his girlfriend answer the door! WTH?!
    then he pointed a gun at the guy, and possibly (probably) his girlfriend too!
    how do you figure he felt threatened? Because the guy had his hand in his pocket and was crying?
    (e) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The op did almost NOTHING right!
    first, he let his girlfriend answer the door! WTH?!
    then he pointed a gun at the guy, and possibly (probably) his girlfriend too!
    how do you figure he felt threatened? Because the guy had his hand in his pocket and was crying?

Proper solution after this has occurred:

1. Place boot firmly on girlfriend's backside until it is clear of the door.
    2. Lock door behind her.
    3. Call police
    4. Find smarter girlfriend
    5. Profit

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    While I strongly believe that leaving the door closed would have been the smart choice, for everyone claiming he broke the law, I'll just leave this here:

See below...

How soon we have forgotten the IC code for trespassing. Sorry Chezuki, you're incorrect. The victim, was not asked to leave the property, either by the OP, a sign, the girlfriend, or any other agent of the property, until after he had pulled his firearm.... at least that is how the story reads.
    You kinda have to inform a person that they're trespassing before taking steps to remove them. If a guy walks onto you property, and you start pushing them off, without informing them they aren't wanted there, you have committed battery, not defended your property rights.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How soon we have forgotten the IC code for trespassing. Sorry Chezuki, you're incorrect. The victim, was not asked to leave the property, either by the OP, a sign, the girlfriend, or any other agent of the property, until after he had pulled his firearm.... at least that is how the story reads.
    You kinda have to inform a person that they're trespassing before taking steps to remove them. If a guy walks onto you property, and you start pushing them off, without informing them they aren't wanted there, you have committed battery, not defended your property rights.

:rofl:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    OP, these guys are pretty rough on you tonight. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for you and the GF and she will stay away from the door in the future.
    I know***I've been married for 27 years and women will do what they want to do. How did she feel about it? Did she feel threatened? Knowing the guy and his
    history of violence and desperation at that time of night, you knew there was certainly a danger there and things cold go bad quickly. I am glad you had your Glock. It probably
    changed the guys plans. It is against the law to point a gun at someone, but having it drawn at your side and visible is legal. The guy could have forced his
    way in, or grabbed the GF and things would have been ugly real quick if you were not prepared to defend yourselves. In the end, you took control and prevented a bad situation from getting worse.
    With the lessons you learned, you both will be better prepared to work together in the future. I am glad you get to sleep in your own bed tonight.

We are all waiting to hear the rest of the story and what happened to that guy.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    GF went outside and started talking to him so how was the guy tresspassing? OP went ouside and aimed his weapon at the individual. If the guy was armed and decided to draw his weapon and shoot op then that would have been a clear case of self defense even.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Let me clarify for everyone. He did not have his hand in his coat pocket to keep his hands warm. He had his left hand inside his partially zipped up coat which appeared he was holding on to something underneath his coat slightly above his waist.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

How is he not? If that guy called in a complaint, and the OP relayed to me the story exactly as it is presented here, I'd have no choice but to arrest him.
    Further, regardless of "who" owns the property, the girlfriend is an agent. By living there, she has equal rights to the common areas of the property (ie doorway/porch/driveway). At the point she opened the door, and began conversing with the victim, no reasonable person would believe that he was trespassing as she had not indicated such. EVEN if the OP, solely owned the property, he could not expel the victim due to the other person living there holding certain rights. At the point he pointed the gun at the victim's chest, he was breaking the law.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Another clarification. I would not have stepped outside armed or otherwise if the girlfriend hadnt already committed by going outside herself. I did not know she was going to do that until after she did. She has been told to never ever do that again.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let me clarify for everyone. He did not have his hand in his coat pocket to keep his hands warm. He had his left hand inside his partially zipped up coat which appeared he was holding on to something underneath his coat slightly above his waist.

I don't think, and I'm sure most others, you're a bad guy, but you certainly handled that the totally wrong way.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The OP is so full of fail that it isn't even funny. Both you and your girlfriend shouldn't have ever gone outside. It was nothing short of idiotic to draw on a guy based upon his "elbow position." A little common sense could have caused this entire situation to be avoided. :twocents:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What would LEO have done with said illegal had the OP detained him?

You mean what would I do with a person that has illegally detained someone, (illegal or not) at gun point, based on the premise of the guy having his hand in his pocket? That's probably the better question.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    maybe a little bit more context is need for my position that made me decide it was time to use force. The perp knows I do not like him because he is a woman beating pieced of doo doo and he knows he is not welcome around my home. He is also scared to death of me because his girlfriend has relayed that to my girlfriend before. That is why I decided he was desperate this morning and had to be out of his mind knocking on my door, knowing that I am home. Desperate people do desperate things. I dont know what he was on, I do know that he has a history with crack and meth. I didnt know at the time whether he thought his girlfriend was at my home and he intended to retrieve her or what....that is why I made a decision with all those facts and what I saw personally and chose to not take any chances. I drew my Glock and made him leave. I did not want to take a chance on him pulling anything out first.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    GF went outside and started talking to him so how was the guy tresspassing? OP went ouside and aimed his weapon at the individual. If the guy was armed and decided to draw his weapon and shoot op then that would have been a clear case of self defense even.
    EXACTLY!

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    You mean what would I do with a person that has illegally detained someone, (illegal or not) at gun point, based on the premise of the guy having his hand in his pocket? That's probably the better question.

I would hope that you would arrest them. Acting in such a way when you're armed just hurts every law abiding gun owner.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Well, yes that too. :)
    Just asking would the illegal have been jailed?

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    You might arrest him...but finding a prosecutor that would go after the OP "might" be an issue in this one.
    Just saying that I struggle with the absolutes everyone is throwing around.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Another clarification. I would not have stepped outside armed or otherwise if the girlfriend hadnt already committed by going outside herself. I did not know she was going to do that until after she did. She has been told to never ever do that again.
    You said you got up, grabbed your gun, THEN woke up your gf. How the hell did she get up, get dressed, and outside BEFORE you?!
    (or did she even get dressed?:naughty:)

BIG fail on your part!!!

Top Bottom