First time I had to draw my handgun (in this state)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    How was the OP breaking the law?
    o-rly__ruserious.jpg

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Not sure if srs?

As we were not there...the guy was on the OP's property is it really that clear cut? Not sure I'm in agreement is all. If the OP felt threatened and was acting to protect his girlfriend I'm not sure it's as clear as everyone is suggesting.

When the threat retreated (ceased) the OP did the right thing.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    As we were not there...the guy was on the OP's property is it really that clear cut? Not sure I'm in agreement is all. If the OP felt threatened and was acting to protect his girlfriend I'm not sure it's as clear as everyone is suggesting.

"Feeling" threatened and actually being threatened are two very, very different scenarios.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Maybe, maybe not. That would be for a jury to decide. Just sime fodder for thought....Odd that no one came and charged the OP after calling it in don't you think?

yea, i gues theyve got a confirmed azzhat on this guys property, so they figure its not worth it to get mad at him..nevertheless, be a lil more gun shy op...it might save ur azs someday

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    like i said...a lot is open to interpretation by the police and how the story is played out. the truth has less to do with it than makes me feel comfortable.

disclaimer for me i'm in for calling the cops and being ready from inside...i'd rather surprise than let him know i have a gun and now he knows where to get one.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Make it stop! Make it stop!

OP, the line? You crossed it. I'd delete the post if I was you. That's CLEARLY breaking the law, as was pointed out. Depending on the coat style and size, my elbow sticks out like I'm "gripping a firearm."

Best bet is to call LE and let them handle it.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I'd argue on that one that the man was trespassing and if he wanted to really push it trying to break into the house...with that said similar situation happened to me in california except my door was kicked in and you can read the whole thread here...https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ul-next-time-you-think-indiana-laws-suck.html

Tresspassing? Knocking on the door and greeted by the girlfriend.
    Kicked in the door...knocked...
    how are these situations similar at all?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Nope, we were not. We are just going by the story presented. The OP's girlfriend opened the door and was conversing with the man. Even if the OP thought his girlfriend was threatened, she apparently did not, so if he draws down on the guy, he's breaking the law. I know you Marines get certain liberties while in the sandbox, but the stuff don't fly back in the world.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Tresspassing? Knocking on the door and greeted by the girlfriend.
    Kicked in the door...knocked...
    how are these situations similar at all?

guess i didnt paint the broad strokes on this one...or i was too broad...anyways i was giving poor justifications he could have said..excuses really if it came to that. i'm not saying its true or right.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe, maybe not. That would be for a jury to decide. Just some fodder for thought....Odd that no one came and charged the OP after calling it in don't you think?

Not odd at all. OP said the victim was illegal. Illegal don't cotton to much interaction with LE.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    ****(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

Does somebody not know the rules?

"The gun is ALWAYS loaded" :cool:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    While I strongly believe that leaving the door closed would have been the smart choice, for everyone claiming he broke the law, I'll just leave this here:

IC 35-47-4-3 Version a
    *****Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    ****Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    ********(1) IC*35-41-3-2; or
    ********(2) IC*35-41-3-3.

****(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.

See below...

(e) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    IC 35-47-4-3 Version a
    *****Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    ****Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    ********(1) IC*35-41-3-2; or
    ********(2) IC*35-41-3-3.

does that apply at the gunshow?...actually, i know it does.....dont point it at somebody, point it at the ground or something

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

The op did almost NOTHING right!
    first, he let his girlfriend answer the door! WTH?!
    then he pointed a gun at the guy, and possibly (probably) his girlfriend too!
    how do you figure he felt threatened? Because the guy had his hand in his pocket and was crying?

Top Bottom