First time I had to draw my handgun (in this state)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    But he was responsible for pointing a loaded firearm at someone who did not show any intention of doing him harm. :popcorn:
    The responsibility to be responsible for someone else's irresponsibility is possibly responsible for these irresponsible posts.
    QUE, can you be responsible enough to help us out here?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Right, but how does that mean that she only had seconds to make a decision? My last post still stands. They had control of the situation, even after she answered the door (I thought we weren't supposed to focus on that). The OP could have easily pulled her back inside and closed the door.

You're right. In reality they had hours if not days or weeks to make up their mind as to what to do. And if they were wide awake they might have taken some of these hours, days, or weeks to decide to follow a different route. But it is common for people to make less than optimal decisions in less time than they should when unexpectedly woken from a sleep. Why are you insisting that anyone make the optimum decisions in this circumstance?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Somehow the GF just morphed into a liar with no prior set up. I wasn't aware that lawyers doubled as cheap stage magicians also.
    He said, "If she lies", not, "when she lies." Reading comprehension is key! One word makes all the difference. You see, he said "if" because it is a possibility. Him saying "if" does not equal him turning her into a liar.

What is the deal with people on INGO always looking to take cheap shots at cops and lawyers? Are y'all jealous that they have more experience and knowledge on these matters?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    You're right. In reality they had hours if not days or weeks to make up their mind as to what to do. And if they were wide awake they might have taken some of these hours, days, or weeks to decide to follow a different route. But it is common for people to make less than optimal decisions in less time than they should when unexpectedly woken from a sleep. Why are you insisting that anyone make the optimum decisions in this circumstance?
    Quit putting words in my mouth...again with reading comprehension problems. Show me where I ever said optimum?

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    One thing is for sure, the OP scared him sober and he probably had to change his pants after that encounter. I don't think he will be coming back around anytime soon.

This is a great learning lesson for the OP and others. I don't remember who recommended "The Law Of Self Defense" on INGO, but that book is very good and it addresses situations of this nature.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    He said, "If she lies", not, "when she lies." Reading comprehension is key! One word makes all the difference. You see, he said "if" because it is a possibility. Him saying "if" does not equal him turning her into a liar.

What is the deal with people on INGO always looking to take cheap shots at cops and lawyers? Are y'all jealous that they have more experience and knowledge on these matters?

If she's a Martian he can probably sell the story to National Inquirer. There was nothing to lead to the "if..." When you start playing that game then anything is fair game for any possible circumstance, up to and including "if the lawyer took money under the table to throw the case" then the OP gets off free and clear.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So you missed the part where I explained what I'd do if she told the same story as the OP, OR if she did not? Either not observant, or deliberately misstating to protect a point.

No experienced trial lawyer goes in assuming everyone always tells the truth and unprepared if they don't.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    If she's a Martian he can probably sell the story to National Inquirer. There was nothing to lead to the "if..." When you start playing that game then anything is fair game for any possible circumstance, up to and including "if the lawyer took money under the table to throw the case" then the OP gets off free and clear.
    Again, OVERUSE of exaggeration. You just love to overstate things to try and prove a point. The thing is that witnesses have been known to lie. Therefore, saying, "If she lies", is a completely reasonable statement and something a good lawyer should be prepared for. As of yet, there have been no viable documentations of Martian existence....therefore, that is not a reasonable example. Logic, get some.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    focusing in on the minor aspect, eh. ignoring the greater truth of the post.
    No, but I will address it if you'd like. Yes, I expect more from a gun owner. As a gun owner you should hold yourself to higher level of responsibility. U fortunately, too many gun owners own guns to try to look cool and are looking for a reason to draw. (Not saying that is necessarily the case with the OP).

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    So you missed the part where I explained what I'd do if she told the same story as the OP, OR if she did not? Either not observant, or deliberately misstating to protect a point.

No experienced trial lawyer goes in assuming everyone always tells the truth and unprepared if they don't.
    :+1: and ripping this gentleman for his earlier post is why I a convinced that there is a large segment of INGO with penis envy when it comes to lawyers and cops.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

Didn't miss it.... just didn't feel it was worthy to comment on. But if you insist...I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    :+1: and ripping this gentleman for his earlier post is why I a convinced that there is a large segment of INGO with penis envy when it comes to lawyers and cops.

"penis envy" eh.... why, I have not heard these words and attack outside, say, the Brady bunch.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Again, OVERUSE of exaggeration. You just love to overstate things to try and prove a point. The thing is that witnesses have been known to lie. Therefore, saying, "If she lies", is a completely reasonable statement and something a good lawyer should be prepared for. As of yet, there have been no viable documentations of Martian existence....therefore, that is not a reasonable example. Logic, get some.

Everyone, and I mean everyone has been known to lie, from the top on down. Yes, even the cops and the lawyers, especially the lawyers :):

Top Bottom