First time I had to draw my handgun (in this state)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    HI! You're missing the point. Completely.

The point

which you missed

is that the OP, put his gun in this guy's face for knocking on his door at 2:30 am for having his hand in his pocket. Did the visitor threaten them? I didn't see that anywhere. No, he knocked, with one hand, apparently. The visitor is alive because the OP showed mercy on him.

That's what you're missing. How stupid that sounds.

I think an easier alternative would have told him to get lost, minus the barrel in the face.
    Look at you thinking you're so smart.

I got it. I get that there's a subset of sheeple who think that self defense is subject to the whims of regulations and laws. I get that in order to avoid running afoul of those laws, it is prudent to act in accordance with them. I also get that some unknown douche on my property at 2:30 in the morning is a threat by default and I have every right, whether the law wants to recognize it or not, to meet that threat how I see fit.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I also get that some unknown douche on my property at 2:30 in the morning is a threat by default and I have every right, whether the law wants to recognize it or not, to meet that threat how I see fit.

You can do what you want. It doesn't mean that it's right, or legal. However, you're escalating a situation and that is not SELF DEFENSE. You're life isn't threatened by someone standing outside your home.

W O W

It's fine, you can do what you want, all I was saying is that it could get you in trouble.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ah, the good, old-fashioned INGO dogpile: when it takes more than one person to criticize, you need the INGO dogpile...

What do you call the, late to the party, second wave? Those who back the bad behavior just to stir the pot? Those who err on the side of pointing their guns at "potential" threats?

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Let me guess. You were the guy outside and that's how you know so much about what was going on?
    No ma'am, I'm not an illegal. To honestly answer your obviously sarcastic comment, I know so much about it because I, and many of my friends and family have been in OP's shoes. Was a firearm handy in case things went south? Darn tooting! Did we wave a gun in someones face and demand they leave or face the wrath of a .45? Noooope.

All of my family are from the south. Drunks knocking on doors in the early morning hours are not that uncommon.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Look at you thinking you're so smart.

I got it. I get that there's a subset of sheeple who think that self defense is subject to the whims of regulations and laws. I get that in order to avoid running afoul of those laws, it is prudent to act in accordance with them. I also get that some unknown douche on my property at 2:30 in the morning is a threat by default and I have every right, whether the law wants to recognize it or not, to meet that threat how I see fit.
    Too bad OP knew the man, and so did his girlfriend.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    All of my family are from the south. Drunks knocking on doors in the early morning hours are not that uncommon.

Then it probably would seem less threatening to you than say, someone who is NEVER awakened by a knock at 2:30am. See?

I still say there are way too many variables to crucify the man, despite his douchey behavior in this thread.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    No ma'am, I'm not an illegal. To honestly answer your obviously sarcastic comment, I know so much about it because I, and many of my friends and family have been in OP's shoes. Was a firearm handy in case things went south? Darn tooting! Did we wave a gun in someones face and demand they leave or face the wrath of a .45? Noooope.

Thank God I don't live in the south then. It would get old having to draw my gun so often.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You can do what you want. It doesn't mean that it's right, or legal
    Can you define "right" for me? Can you point me to the universal standard that tells me that meeting a trespasser in the dark of night with an unholstered firearm is "wrong?" Legality is a whole 'nother ball game. And you can't judge legality without a specific set of circumstances. But I think I'm fairly safe when I say that I can legally confront a trespasser on my property with an unholstered firearm, even one that is pointed at him because he IS a potential threat.

However, you're escalating a situation and that is not SELF DEFENSE.
    Damn straight, I am. I am meeting a threat. Self defense IS escalation.

You're life isn't threatened by someone standing outside your home.
    We aren't talking about someone standing outside my home. We're talking about finding a stranger trespassing on your property at o'dark thirty. And he is going to be treated as a threat until I can ascertain otherwise. I have the legal authority to use force. You may not like it, but that includes using a firearm when confronting an unknown who has no right to be where he is.

Yes, I know. Not everybody can embrace this level of freedom; it gets scary at times because it means we have to be responsible for ourselves.

It's fine, you can do what you want, all I was saying is that it could get you in trouble.
    No, you were telling me and the OP that his choices and my choices were "wrong," whatever the hell that means. You were telling me that I had no right to defend myself. This is exactly the kind of ****-poor argument I was attempting to draw out. You operate on a set of premises without being honest enough to admit that you are doing so. As bad as that is though, you think that your premises are the only ones other people should use too.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Yes, sarcasm is one of the many services I provide.

Let me ask you this: why should the OP have to respond in the same way you did/do?

Let me ask you another question: which is worse, meeting an unknown trespasser with an unholstered gun or letting the dogs out in the yard to deal with him?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    I can't believe no one has jumped on the dogpile about him using a tubbaware gun. I'm just saying if you are going to be carrying a 45 why not a "real" one like a 1911.

I'm not trying to jump on the dogpile either, I just as others have, could point out what I would do differently. Then again at 2:30am I hope that I would have the correct frame of mind to do so. The OP stated that he target practices in his backyard (at least I believe it was the OP, the thread has gotten long), so i would be inclined to believe that he does not live in a suburban setting and more likely in a rural area. I do live in a rural area with no immediate neighbors or immediate highways, if someone knocks on my door at 2:30am it would be reasonable to believe that they mean to do me or my family harm. I would like to believe that I would ask them to leave first and not brandish my weapon until the need arose. I also however never wish to test the idea. I am glad the OP and his girlfriend are alive and well, now just go get you a "real" 45. :draw:

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Then it probably would seem less threatening to you than say, someone who is NEVER awakened by a knock at 2:30am. See?

I still say there are way too many variables to crucify the man, despite his douchey behavior in this thread.
    Truthfully, I never looked at it like that. While the OP may or may not have over reacted, I'm basing my observations off of personal experiences. What you say is valid.

I will refrain from posting any more regarding the OP, because my views on the subject may be skewed.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes, sarcasm is one of the many services I provide.

Let me ask you this: why should the OP have to respond in the same way you did/do?

Let me ask you another question: which is worse, meeting an unknown trespasser with an unholstered gun or letting the dogs out in the yard to deal with him?
    We called the cops. Dude spent a night in the slammer to sober up. While OP MAY have not had this ability with GF going to the door, he could have easily removed himself and his S/O from the situation, and called the police inside the home.

As for the second part, Unknown doesn't really work in this situation since Op and his S/O knew the male at the door. Which from what I could gather, was the only reason the girlfriend opened the door in the first place. Because she knew who was knocking

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I can't believe no one has jumped on the dogpile about him using a tubbaware gun. I'm just saying if you are going to be carrying a 45 why not a "real" one like a 1911.

I'm not trying to jump on the dogpile either, I just as others have, could point out what I would do differently. Then again at 2:30am I hope that I would have the correct frame of mind to do so. The OP stated that he target practices in his backyard (at least I believe it was the OP, the thread has gotten long), so i would be inclined to believe that he does not live in a suburban setting and more likely in a rural area. I do live in a rural area with no immediate neighbors or immediate highways, if someone knocks on my door at 2:30am it would be reasonable to believe that they mean to do me or my family harm. I would like to believe that I would ask them to leave first and not brandish my weapon until the need arose. I also however never wish to test the idea. I am glad the OP and his girlfriend are alive and well, now just go get you a "real" 45. :draw:
    You are correct, in that both my neighbors are over 300yds away from my home which sits on 5 acres (4 of it being timber). What can your 1911 do that my G30 wont? Ive HAD (3) 1911's so far in my life. I still have the topend of one squirreled away for a custom build some time down the road.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    My thoughts exactly.

Maybe it's like one of those Dos Equis commercials......"I don't often point my weapon at people, but when I do I prefer to do it in different states"

This thread is pure comedy.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist...
    46535624_zpsaf67f010.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    You are correct, in that both my neighbors are over 300yds away from my home which sits on 5 acres (4 of it being timber). What can your 1911 do that my G30 wont? Ive HAD (3) 1911's so far in my life. I still have the topend of one squirreled away for a custom build some time down the road.

No disrespect remauto1187. Considering the G30 is a 10rd capacity 45 I believe you will be fine (assuming a regular mag). To date have never had a scenerio quite like yours and never wish to. Carry on remauto1187, kudos on protecting your home, girlfriend and self.

Top Bottom