• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok Glock owners. You put up a LOT of hype about the glocks and I just don't get it.... :dunno:

Either they are inaccurate as all beat hell or I just ain't used to the CRAPPY trigger!!!! :laugh: (Disclaimer: That was an attempt at sarcasm. note the smilie Diehard Glock fans will not be amused. Edited for the nut who didn't get it.) At least it didn't BLOW UP on me! :): I did have 2 stove pipes though. That was disappointing....

ANYWAY

I went to Atterbury today, er, yesterday, whatever you want to consider it right now at 2:55am... :) I brought my Baby Eagle and my G19. Both in 9mm. We got set up about 5 minutes before cease-fire so I decided to do a function test with the targets already there. BANG BANG BANG just like a Glock should. Good. 15 rounds and not a problem at all. I reload the mag and wait to place my targets.

I placed 2 targets, one high for the G19, one low for the BDE. I set up with the Glock and put three down range. :scratch: I knew the new night sights were offset a tad but DANG! Not one on target?!?! Ok, compensate, three more. 1 on target, 5" low and right. Breath, control trigger. Slow trigger pull.... BANG. :scratch: 7" low and left. Ok. I'm NOT this bad a shot. BANG BANG. 2 on target, one high, one just an inch right of bullseye.... Better. I let the rest of the mag go and I'm all over the page.

I am NOT this bad a shot.

Screw it. I lay down the G19, pick up the BDE.....

BANG BANG BANG! 1.5" group just 3 inches low of the bullseye. Better. 3 more, one bullseye, one hole, 1" group. Told you I was a better shot than that.

:shoot:

After 3 more mags with the G19 I figured out that not only were the sights off, but that trigger is HORRENDOUS!!! I don't know how you guys do it! There's SOOOO much overtravel in the trigger I had to pull it 3/4th's the way back just to keep control of the pistol and even then my shots were off. I couldn't produce 1 good group. I think I should have went with a 1911 instead.

So I'm appealing to the vast knowledge of the board. What should I do. I'm not going to carry a gun that I'm not confident shooting. My BDE has had no failures after I put 300 rounds through it and I can shoot 1" groups or better with it, but I can barely hit the broad side of a barn with this Glock.

Keep in mind I've only been shooting pistols for about a year or so now.

Should I keep the Glock and make _________ modifications to it, or should I find something that better suits me? :dunno:

Side note: Glock owners, don't hate. It's just my experiance. :)

:patriot:

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    After 3 more mags with the G19 I figured out that not only were the sights off, but that trigger is HORRENDOUS!!! I don't know how you guys do it! There's SOOOO much overtravel in the trigger I had to pull it 3/4th's the way back just to keep control of the pistol and even then my shots were off. I couldn't produce 1 good group. I think I should have went with a 1911 instead.Keep in mind I've only been shooting pistols for about a year or so now.

After you fire a shot with the Glock just let up on the trigger a millimeter or so. You will feel the "click" of the trigger reset and will take away the overtravel.

Also, this could be a case of a particular gun just not being for you or it could be a case of not being familiar with it yet. In this instance you're comparing a gun (Baby Eagle) that you've owned and practiced with for a while to one that you've never even shot (nor any of that type). If you take it out shooting a few more times, especially utilizing any tips the other Glock guys give you, and you're still not happy then maybe Glocks just aren't for you. Best of luck either way!

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    You should try a 3.5 pound trigger connector. They are cheap enough that if you still don't like it you are only out 10ish extra bucks and from my experience(limited experience but have shot a couple before and afters, one of which I put into my fathers g30 myself) they will give it a clean crisp break with no travel in it at all. IMHO it is really worth a try before giving up on it all together.

MidwayUSA - Scherer Connector Glock All Models 3-1/2 lb

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Got a Glock 38 a while back and the trigger felt like it was 8 or 9 pounds and horrible. Thorough cleaning and 25 cent trigger job improved it substantially. I then replaced the 5.5 # connector with a 3.5 and for my taste it's perfect. Not sure what is going on with the malfunction situation but I've never had one fail to function. I would think it would be more likely to be a magazine problem than a problem with the 19? I did have a 26 that needed the rear sight moved to the right as far as it would go to make it shoot to the sights and but other than that they have all shot to the sights at 7 yards, one ragged hole if I'm doing my part. If you don't get a better offer I would be happy to take a look at it sometime for you and show you what little I know about them. Don't give up!!

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Practice your trigger pull and shooting in general.
    From the stovepipes it also sounds like you are limp wristing the Glock and contributing to malfunctions.

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    when i first started shooting glocks i went through a similar thing. Takes time to get used too. I would correct the sights if in fact they are off.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    If you figure it out, let me know. I am in the same boat; for whatever reason, I have never shot Glocks well. I can shoot just about every other type of gun way better than a G19 (XD, M&P, PX4, etc)

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    From the stovepipes it also sounds like you are limp wristing the Glock and contributing to malfunctions.

:+1:

Definately sounds like you are limp wristing it. I have some targets that show what the issues are based on where the bullets strike, it has terms like "trigger control" for a RH shooter if you are pulling to the left. Its diffecult to desribe, Ill see if I can scan and post one.

And yes, you will learn to only take the trigger out to the reset position, not fully out, this allows smoother pull of the Glock triggers. And the mechanics of the reset are the same, regardless of the trigger pull, so master the stock trigger first and then you can always change it out later.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Ok Glock owners. You put up a LOT of hype about the glocks and I just don't get it.... :dunno:

Either they are inaccurate as all beat hell or I just ain't used to the CRAPPY trigger!!!! :laugh: At least it didn't BLOW UP on me! :): I did have 2 stove pipes though. That was disappointing....

ANYWAY

I went to Atterbury today, er, yesterday, whatever you want to consider it right now at 2:55am... :) I brought my Baby Eagle and my G19. Both in 9mm. We got set up about 5 minutes before cease-fire so I decided to do a function test with the targets already there. BANG BANG BANG just like a Glock should. Good. 15 rounds and not a problem at all. I reload the mag and wait to place my targets.

I placed 2 targets, one high for the G19, one low for the BDE. I set up with the Glock and put three down range. :scratch: I knew the new night sights were offset a tad but DANG! Not one on target?!?! Ok, compensate, three more. 1 on target, 5" low and right. Breath, control trigger. Slow trigger pull.... BANG. :scratch: 7" low and left. Ok. I'm NOT this bad a shot. BANG BANG. 2 on target, one high, one just an inch right of bullseye.... Better. I let the rest of the mag go and I'm all over the page.

I am NOT this bad a shot.

Screw it. I lay down the G19, pick up the BDE.....

BANG BANG BANG! 1.5" group just 3 inches low of the bullseye. Better. 3 more, one bullseye, one hole, 1" group. Told you I was a better shot than that.

:shoot:

After 3 more mags with the G19 I figured out that not only were the sights off, but that trigger is HORRENDOUS!!! I don't know how you guys do it! There's SOOOO much overtravel in the trigger I had to pull it 3/4th's the way back just to keep control of the pistol and even then my shots were off. I couldn't produce 1 good group. I think I should have went with a 1911 instead.

So I'm appealing to the vast knowledge of the board. What should I do. I'm not going to carry a gun that I'm not confident shooting. My BDE has had no failures after I put 300 rounds through it and I can shoot 1" groups or better with it, but I can barely hit the broad side of a barn with this Glock.

Keep in mind I've only been shooting pistols for about a year or so now.

Should I keep the Glock and make _________ modifications to it, or should I find something that better suits me? :dunno:

Side note: Glock owners, don't hate. It's just my experiance. :)

Now that is some good thinkin...:D

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    check your trigger pull, when i first started shooting glocks i had a tendency to jerk the triggers since i wasnt used to it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I knew I'd get some interesting responses. :D :patriot:

Got a Glock 38 a while back and the trigger felt like it was 8 or 9 pounds and horrible. Thorough cleaning and 25 cent trigger job improved it substantially. I then replaced the 5.5 # connector with a 3.5 and for my taste it's perfect. Not sure what is going on with the malfunction situation but I've never had one fail to function. I would think it would be more likely to be a magazine problem than a problem with the 19? I did have a 26 that needed the rear sight moved to the right as far as it would go to make it shoot to the sights and but other than that they have all shot to the sights at 7 yards, one ragged hole if I'm doing my part. If you don't get a better offer I would be happy to take a look at it sometime for you and show you what little I know about them. Don't give up!!

I've always had an issue with DAO guns and the trigger pull. My S&W Sigma, my KT P11, couldn't get over the trigger pull. Luckily the Glock isn't AS BAD as those two.

I think you are spot on with saying the Stove pipes are mag issues. I purchased 2 extra G19 mags from Bradis, both 15rnds. They are Glock mags, but they are different from the original in two ways. They are just a TAD longer than the original two and on the front side they have a square piece of metal showing where the original two do not.

The two stove pipes I had came from those mags. No, I did not limp wrist it. For christ sakes it's only a 9mm! :): I never even limp wristed my Sigma and it was a .40! :laugh:

:+1:

Definately sounds like you are limp wristing it. I have some targets that show what the issues are based on where the bullets strike, it has terms like "trigger control" for a RH shooter if you are pulling to the left. Its diffecult to desribe, Ill see if I can scan and post one.

And yes, you will learn to only take the trigger out to the reset position, not fully out, this allows smoother pull of the Glock triggers. And the mechanics of the reset are the same, regardless of the trigger pull, so master the stock trigger first and then you can always change it out later.

I think I've seen that target on in digital form. Been a while. I do know my trigger control needs a LOT of work. It's just the DAO and the heavy pull I'm not used to. I plan on practicing with it a little more, but I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, DAO guns are not for me. I don't want to give up the reliability of this firearm though. It's not everyday you find on with the reliablility of the AK and the accuracy of an AR all in one gun.

Yes I was kidding about the Glock being inaccurate. I know better. :)

I'm going to work with this some more before I make a decision about keeping it or not. I've got some practice ammo set back just for times like this so I need to get to a range and practice some more. My wife and kids are driving me nuts so any chance I get to go shoot... :runaway:

:D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Now that is some good thinkin...:D

If I can trade this for a double stack 9mm 1911 that's reliable like this is, I'd probably jump on it. not right now though. I need to try this GLock out a couple more times. :thumbsup:

check your trigger pull, when i first started shooting glocks i had a tendency to jerk the triggers since i wasnt used to it.

Yes, I noticed I was letting the trigger all the way forward and then trying to jerk it back. I'll work on this.

With my BDE, the trigger pull in SA is VERY short so the reset is almost nill. It doesn't come all the way forward like the Glock and that's what I'm not used to.

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    yeah i dont think you have anything to worry about, good practice, be safe, and have lots of fun!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Ditto, I didn't think to mention the "limp wristing" but that is a real possibility. Sounds like we need to have a Glock seminar. I've NEVER had one that malfunctioned or wouldn't cut a ragged hole if I was doing my part.. Maybe I've just been lucky:dunno:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If you take it out shooting a few more times, especially utilizing any tips the other Glock guys give you, and you're still not happy then maybe Glocks just aren't for you. Best of luck either way!

If you figure it out, let me know. I am in the same boat; for whatever reason, I have never shot Glocks well. I can shoot just about every other type of gun way better than a G19 (XD, M&P, PX4, etc)

Great advice here. Some people just aren't that great with glocks. *raises hand* The only one's I was good with were the full size. And the larger those things get the uglier they are.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I've worked with a lot of new Glock owners on the range, and the two-stage trigger is what screws most of them up at first - especially if they're used to shooting other types of guns with smooth, continuous trigger pulls. The "short reset" method that has been described above is the key for your second and subsequent shots. For your first shot, the key is to only progress through the first resistance stage, pause at the second resistance stage as you go through your final steps of breath control and sight alignment, then complete the pull - focusing on allowing the "unexpected" firing of the gun as you proceed through the full trigger pull.

Regarding the lighter trigger, I have a 3.5 lb connector in my Glock 30 and I love it - the only down side is that when I shoot my other Glocks with stock triggers (Glock 21, 20 and 27) it takes some serious readjustment. It is a very significant difference.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Oh, and I forgot to mention my FAVORITE training tip for a new Glock shooter (or an experienced one, for that matter). The flat front sight on a Glock allows you to balance a dime on it without much trouble. Try dry-firing the Glock without knocking off the dime. My drill used to be that I had to do it 25 times in a row before I could quit. (Kinda like your dad making you hit 10 free throws in a row before you could go to dinner.) This is an EXCELENT training exercise for a Glock, because it forces you to pause at the second resistance stage and to use a very smooth, even trigger pull. Then at the range, actually imagine that dime on your front sight as you take your sight picture and begin your trigger pull. You won't believe the difference this exercise will make - I promise - because you will have developed the autonomous "muscle memory" necessary for the perfect, smooth trigger pull.

Personally, I used to do this all the time while watching TV. (Then again, I'm a bachelor who doesn't have to justify such activity.) And contrary to anything else you might have heard, you can dry-fire a Glock all day long and not hurt it a bit. [And insert here all the safety-related stuff you already know about dry-firing!]

Hope this helps!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom