• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Student pilot certificate is just a piece of paper. You cant do anything without a CFI holding your hand.

I have seen two people who passed their checkride, and got letters from the FAA saying they were not able to issue a pilots certificate for one reason or another. The background checks do work.

And I think they work the majority of the time with the LTCH app.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    You should call and ask what the adjudication process is. You would be surprised at how short the amount of time is to accept/deny the application.

With everything on computers how long should it take?

I had my criminal background ran by a friend a year or so ago and it took no time what so ever.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    With everything on computers how long should it take?

I had my criminal background ran by a friend a year or so ago and it took no time what so ever.

That is you. Some people it takes longer. Even with fingerprints, sometimes a name matches someone else and the investigation takes longer.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    You should call and ask what the adjudication process is. You would be surprised at how short the amount of time is to accept/deny the application.

Who should I call? The application process is spelled out in the Indiana Code. Meet certain criteria and you get your LTCH, don't meet the criteria and you are denied.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    Who should I call? The application process is spelled out in the Indiana Code. Meet certain criteria and you get your LTCH, don't meet the criteria and you are denied.

And for some people, questions get raised. And those have to be resolved first.

When people apply for a security clearance, the process is supposed to be quick. But when they run it and something odd comes up, it has to be checked. A security clearance doesn't even mean you will have access to a weapon, it just means you are able to be trusted with information that could cause damage to national security if it was in the wrong hands. The handgun permit application should require much more of an investigation than it currently does.

The man they showed on TV not long ago on WTHR is a prime example. He had been arrested and put in a mental hospital for being suicidal and depressed. He, of course, lied on his application and said he had never been treated for mental illness. He was denied the permit, but still was able to purchase a gun. The guy had plans to kill his ex. This shows a flaw in the background check process to begin with. The NCIC check should have shown this, but it didnt. Had the police not caught it, she could have been a victim. Its easy for a person to say that they dont care and make excuses for the process in which background checks are completed. But what if the woman was your mother/sister/wife/girlfriend/friend/co-worker/cousin... etc etc You would be angry at the system for him getting that gun.

In my opinion, the background investigation should be MUCH more thorough than it currently is.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I don't get mad at the system for what a person does, I get mad at the person. It's each individuals responsibility to protest themselves, IT IS NOT THE LEO's JOB TO PROTECT ANYONE!

IMO, we should follow the Indiana constitution and not need a License to defend ourselves.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The handgun permit application should require much more of an investigation than it currently does.

It's not a "permit", it's a "license" (since you drew the distinction between an airman's "certificate" and higher classes of pilots' "licenses").

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And HERE is where I have a problem. THIS is a prime example of how POLITICAL CORRECTNESS is destroying this country. I'll say this as simply as I can: I do NOT care if OCing makes someone uncomfortable. I. Do. Not. Care. I say this politely and firmly. It is the very epitome of selfish to expect gun-owners to conceal their firearm when they step into the public's view. I happen to find it offensive that it is considered "selfish" of me to exercise a right...a right which is in NO way harming another person. I am VERY uncomfortable with MANY things that I witness in public, but I concede that it is their right(s) and I leave it alone. Give respect, get respect, as the old adage goes.

And even MORE indisputable proof that my fears are completely justified.

I want all air traffic stopped. I should not have to look at another openly
    flown aircraft again as long as I live.
    OK maybe military jets because they are with the government and we can trust them completely.
    NO MORE civilian aircraft of any type.
    Civilians cannot be trusted with that kind of power and fear generating potential.
    If they continue to fly in the skies over my house they should expect to be hassled. :twocents:

Don't forget Chemtrails. :D

The man they showed on TV not long ago on WTHR is a prime example. He had been arrested and put in a mental hospital for being suicidal and depressed. He, of course, lied on his application and said he had never been treated for mental illness. He was denied the permit, but still was able to purchase a gun. The guy had plans to kill his ex. This shows a flaw in the background check process to begin with. The NCIC check should have shown this, but it didnt. Had the police not caught it, she could have been a victim. Its easy for a person to say that they dont care and make excuses for the process in which background checks are completed. But what if the woman was your mother/sister/wife/girlfriend/friend/co-worker/cousin... etc etc You would be angry at the system for him getting that gun.

In my opinion, the background investigation should be MUCH more thorough than it currently is.

If it was my mother/sister/wife/girlfriend etc I wouldn't be angry at the system. I would be angry at the person who committed the crime. There should be no system in the first place. No NCICs, no LTCH, no BATFEces etc. What was that part again? Oh that's right SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

Wait a minute... you've just spent several posts telling how very thorough the background check for a pilot is, even without something as rudimentary as fingerprints, and now you are complaining about the more thorough background check to exercise a Constitutional right?

Truth is something that bothers you not at all, isn't it? Again, this is a trait typical of anti-gunners.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Just fly in the clouds. Flying a plane out in the open is just asking for trouble.

Look at me. I have a plane.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

You must have a very small penis. How unfortunate.

bld038011.jpg

:D

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    Wait a minute... you've just spent several posts telling how very thorough the background check for a pilot is, even without something as rudimentary as fingerprints, and now you are complaining about the more thorough background check to exercise a Constitutional right?

Truth is something that bothers you not at all, isn't it? Again, this is a trait typical of anti-gunners.

The background check for a weekend pilot is much like the check for a handgun license. The background a professional pilot goes through is much more thorough.

I am I for constitutional rights. What I am NOT ok with is someone who is of questionable moral character or mental stability being allowed to hurt someone else based on his constitutional rights. There are some people who should never be allowed to touch a gun.

So yes, there are some people who should NOT have the right to bear arms. Someone who is mentally ill should not be allowed to own a weapon and someone convicted of violent crimes should not be allowed to own a weapon. Just because you have a right does not mean at some point it should not be taken from you if you abuse it.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    Just fly in the clouds. Flying a plane out in the open is just asking for trouble.

Were you trying to say something constructive or did you just want to see yourself type?

Again... childish comments. If you want to hold a discussion, do so in an educated manor. Don't act like a teenager, it just makes you look ignorant.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Were you trying to say something constructive or did you just want to see yourself type?

Again... childish comments. If you want to hold a discussion, do so in an educated manor. Don't act like a teenager, it just makes you look ignorant.

I really think my comments were much more ignorant and childlike. :twocents:

I deserve some recognition. Thank you.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I find that mocking a topic point succinctly via analogy is much more effective and entertaining than prattling on in a dry manner and losing the readers' interest.

It's not just about you, ya know? :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom