• Status
    Not open for further replies.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You are right. But do you believe in taking chances on the safety of your family? My neighbor for instance. He is a lawyer and a complete hot head. He blows up for no reason on his wife. He is a prime example of someone who should never be allowed to own a gun. He makes comments such as "That guy deserves to be shot." Or even better "I would shoot him myself" Those comments are serious. If I found out he had applied for a handgun license, I would call the state police myself and tell them to deny it. I would go as far as to get a lawyer involved. A hotheaded person and a gun dont mix.

Unfortunately, sometimes we all pay the price for the actions of a few. Gun laws are a small example of that.

You seem to think that the world can be made to be safe.

1. It can't.
    2. Attempts to make it so result in tyranny.
    3. The result is an unsafe world without freedom and it's usually more unsafer than when you started.

For some problems there are no solutions. Trying to find a solution often results in a worse problem.

I don't want to take chances with the safety of my family. I believe the policies you suggest would be doing so.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Why? If you have no criminal record or mental problem, and aren't considered a hothead you would be fine! You would have no issue owning a gun!

So hotheaded persons need not apply.

What other kinds of defense would you suggest we need to provide to be given permission to carry?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Why? If you have no criminal record or mental problem, you would be fine! You would have no issue owning a gun!

Please address my point.

My point is that the assumption that I must first be approved by the government in order to exercise a right I was born with is tyranny.

Would you consent to a search of your house just to make sure you don't have something illegal and dangerous there? As long as you don't have anything like that, you'd have no issue!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Why? If you have no criminal record or mental problem, you would be fine! You would have no issue owning a gun!

TRUE!!!!!!

Unless of course some busybody thinks you are a hot head and calls the state police in an attempt to get your license denied.

BUT what are the chances that that would happen right!?? :dunno:

:n00b:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    You are right. But do you believe in taking chances on the safety of your family? My neighbor for instance. He is a lawyer and a complete hot head. He blows up for no reason on his wife. He is a prime example of someone who should never be allowed to own a gun. He makes comments such as "That guy deserves to be shot." Or even better "I would shoot him myself" Those comments are serious. If I found out he had applied for a handgun license, I would call the state police myself and tell them to deny it. I would go as far as to get a lawyer involved. A hotheaded person and a gun dont mix.

Unfortunately, sometimes we all pay the price for the actions of a few. Gun laws are a small example of that.

That is arrogant and asinine on the face of it. How's the view from your pedestal? I can tell you one thing: were you to call the ISP in an attempt to have my LTCH denied/revoked, you would be looking down the barrel of a "legal shotgun" when I file suit against you for Libel. I mean seriously...are you ok? You would choose to involve yourself in another person's life (a hothead and ATTORNEY no less!) and attempt to control it? :n00b: And people say those who OC are seeking attention :rolleyes:

Luckily, it's NOT your decision as to whether or not "a hotheaded person and a gun" mix. You need to accept that you are responsible for YOUR actions, and yours alone. There are plenty of "may issue" states that would suit you better I'd wager.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Who gets to decide who has a "mental problem"?

I hear almost daily that the radical tea party members who cling to guns and religion have mental problems.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    We often wonder on this site how we end up with some of these annoying, useless, and anti-freedom laws. Behold the mindset from which they spring.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That is arrogant and asinine on the face of it. How's the view from your pedestal? I can tell you one thing: were you to call the ISP in an attempt to have my LTCH denied/revoked, you would be looking down the barrel of a "legal shotgun" when I file suit against you for Libel. I mean seriously...are you ok? You would choose to involve yourself in another person's life (a hothead and ATTORNEY no less!) and attempt to control it? :n00b: And people say those who OC are seeking attention :rolleyes:

That isn't libel. I'm not saying, just saying. Libel is when a lie is printed that injures your character.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What other kinds of defense would you suggest we need to provide to be given permission to carry?
    I'd venture it depends on the mood he is in and if he can borrow a cup of sugar.
    Unless of course some busybody thinks you are a hot head and calls the state police in an attempt to get your license denied.

True dat.
    That is arrogant and asinine on the face of it. How's the view from your pedestal?

Luckily, it's NOT your decision as to whether or not "a hotheaded person and a gun" mix. You need to accept that you are responsible for YOUR actions, and yours alone. There are plenty of "may issue" states that would suit you better I'd wager.
    Yep yep.
    Who gets to decide who has a "mental problem"?

I hear almost daily that the radical tea party members who cling to guns and religion have mental problems.
    Exactly, the slope isn't just slippery, it's steep.
    We often wonder on this site how we end up with some of these annoying, useless, and anti-freedom laws. Behold the mindset from which they spring.

BINGO!

Again with the agreements Dross... :dunno: been so long since we disagreed I'm starting to forget why.. well what ever it was, I had to be right ;)

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    It sucks to read a hot thread all the way to the end only to find that the best arguments have already been made. It's like showing up to the barfight in time to watch the glass being swept up.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    TRUE!!!!!!

Im sorry, but if you make threats on peoples lives and talk about shooting people, you should NOT have a gun. A mentally sane person would not talking about killing people.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    I believe the term is "slander."

Its not slander when its true and when it is documented and verified from multiple sources.

You think the state police dont verify information before making decisions? Its not like they took one persons word for it and that was what they based their decision on!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Its not slander when its true and when it is documented and verified from multiple sources.

You think the state police dont verify information before making decisions? Its not like they took one persons word for it and that was what they based their decision on!

I wasn't commenting on whether or not it was actually slander, just helping with the correct word for what the guy was trying to say.

Still waiting on you to answer my last couple of questions, however.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Pilot, depend on what type of lawyer your neighbor is he might already be exempt, if he happens to be a deputy prosecutor he is exempt, IIRC

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    Please address my point.

My point is that the assumption that I must first be approved by the government in order to exercise a right I was born with is tyranny.

Would you consent to a search of your house just to make sure you don't have something illegal and dangerous there? As long as you don't have anything like that, you'd have no issue!

In this day in age, yes. You have to be approved. Does someone who has been accused of murder get to run free while they are on trial? No! Even though they are innocent until proven guilty, and have the right to a trial by jury, they still are held in jail to protect the rest of us.

No, I would not consent to a search of my home without a warrant. If they have a warrant, then some judge felt they had reasonable suspicion to issue the warrant.

You make it sound as if I will let the government walk all over me, and that is simply not true. But, the rest of us have the right to live without someone who has mental issues easily getting their hands on weapons as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom