First AK47 - Need just a little guidance/opinions...Arsenal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Haha.. So.. What would you call it exactly..? It's not an AK47, it's not an AKM.. It's not an AK74.. It's not an AK-101 or whatever series. So would the 5.56 just be considered it's own rifle?

Off the top of my head, I can't remember what the longer version is called, but the stubby one is an AR-M4 SF :drool:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    it's a milled AK47 variant. All bulgarian milled rifles (commercial and military) have a 90 degree gas block with either a standard FSB and 14mm threads OR AK-74/AK-103 style FSB/muzzle brake. Arsenal USA calls it either a SAM7SF-84 OR just an SAM7SF: SAM7SF SERIES, 7.62, milled receiver rifle

Arsenal Bulgarian calls it an AR-M9F: http://www.arsenal-bg.com/c/556x45-...ngth-415-mm-44/556x45-and-762x39-mm-ar-m9f-44

Here's some AK info for your spank bank: Assault Rifles - Arsenal JSCo. - Bulgarian manufacturer of weapons and ammunition since 1878

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Looking at these two options - only difference is that one has the Quad Rail and the other has the normal polymer. Anyone have opinions on the Quad Rail? They are supposedly the same weight.

Wood(polymer) or metal, either way it will get hot after you put enough mags through it.
    If you go with the polymer version and want the "rail", if all you are planning is to add an optic you can get a railed gas tube replacement in the future.

tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    But for a starter AK, I would recommend a Saiga, vepr, or a maadi. Those are true Russian AKM and high quality. Century is junk while Arsenal is too expensive. Another good brand is DDI.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    While maybe made on Russian equipment the maadi is Egyptian built. They are rough looking but function fine for the most part. There are some models of maadi to avoid that were built here in the US by century. The misr-90 is the mossy famous because it's a Chinese front end stuffed into an Egyptian back end. Maadi aks have some of the worst machining and tolerances I've ever seen in any AK but once they're together they function just fine.

tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    While maybe made on Russian equipment the maadi is Egyptian built. They are rough looking but function fine for the most part. There are some models of maadi to avoid that were built here in the US by century. The misr-90 is the mossy famous because it's a Chinese front end stuffed into an Egyptian back end. Maadi aks have some of the worst machining and tolerances I've ever seen in any AK but once they're together they function just fine.
    Agree! Most Russian AKM are for real combat, not for wall hanger. I would pick any Russian or Maadi over any other AK any day except Arsenal. Arsenal AK is beyond excellent and their price are worth it.

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    For a starter AK I'd have to say WASR before they get too stupid price wise. CHF barrel, import, and newer ones are much better built than they used to be. But if you have no issues with the price difference then you can't go wrong with an Arsenal

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom