First AK47 - Need just a little guidance/opinions...Arsenal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    There are so many options out there now. Imo the siagas are still some of the best out there. You buy them already ready to rock, and the conversions to put pistol grip etc on them is really easy. I bought a siaga 5.45 as my first ak platform and have a 7.62 now. The other option is to look at guns other people have imported or built. Have to be careful with what you pick. Last 2 options are to have someone build you one from a nice kit, and you can pick all the nice stuff you want, or to build one. I'm at the final stage where I'm just going to build one myself. I have a so so kit to practice with first, then I'll get a nicer kit to build after some practice.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have an Arsenal I bought secondhand (SGL 21-61) and I love it.

Just give the gun a look over for canted sights and a bad coating job before you buy it.
    Arsenal no longer offers the Russian made SGL's (the best they had and I own several). All they offer now are Bulgarian guns. They all have crap finishes except the milled guns in my experience. If you're worried about the finish, get it refinished. Other than that, they are rock solid if you get one with straight sights and good triggers. Lately their Bulgarian triggers have been problematic. Swapping it out with a G2 resolves those issues.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The best made import AK without a doubt is the Russian VEPR. They're the most consistent, best made rifles I've ever owned. The down side is they're heavy. The upside is their finish and barrel quality is consistent (this isn't true with Saiga's as their barrels vary wildly in quality).

sensor5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    I have a C39 V2 and it shoots great and is well built. I did A LOT of research before buying and found a lot of positive reviews online. I too checked out the Arsenal AKs, but the price difference is tremendous. For the price of the Arsenal, one can buy a C39 and many quality ak47 mags.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Looking at these two options - only difference is that one has the Quad Rail and the other has the normal polymer. Anyone have opinions on the Quad Rail? They are supposedly the same weight.

pix535311592.jpg

pix175815788.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Never had that rail, read quite a bit about it. Arsenal put a lot of work into it, and it seems to be pretty solid. I think the rifle is more aesthetically pleasing with the polymer as well as being more comfortable to handle, but if you need to mount stuff to it, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the railed version.

Looking at these two options - only difference is that one has the Quad Rail and the other has the normal polymer. Anyone have opinions on the Quad Rail? They are supposedly the same weight.

pix535311592.jpg

pix175815788.jpg

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Never had that rail, read quite a bit about it. Arsenal put a lot of work into it, and it seems to be pretty solid. I think the rifle is more aesthetically pleasing with the polymer as well as being more comfortable to handle, but if you need to mount stuff to it, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the railed version.

That's the part that's making it difficult to decide...I don't necessarily need to mount stuff on it - but might want the option to do so at some point. The two versions are close in price - but if you buy the Arsenal quad rail separately - the price is almost $200. I am also a little concerned about heat with the quad rail.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You could buy the one with the quad rail, and then buy the factory furniture on the secondary market, and be able to install it if you don't like the quad rail.
    I have seen brand new "take offs" fairly frequently pop up on forums.

I have two Arsenals, SLR-107 FR and an SLR-106 FR, they are both great rifles.

harb7676

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I decided to buy another AK and I have been doing quite a bit of research.
    I handled all the Century products at the NRA Show and I thought they all seemed fine. However after reading the reviews and reading about people with excessive wear after a few hundred rounds I decided to go else where for a new AK. I figure if you are going to spend the money spend the money on a quality product like anything else that you are less likely to have problems with.

I decided to go with a DDI from Atlantic. I am awaiting its arrival!
    I already own a WASR, I am kind of mixed on it. I like to shoot it but it just feels and looks kind of slapped together. I say if I was going to buy one AK, I would just spend the money and get a high quality one.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Got the one with the quad rail.:ar15::rockwoot:

Nice, I think you are going to be very happy with that rifle

...Is that a milled side folder?

That is currently how the Bulgarians build them for their troops, pretty cool that they are making a semi auto version to sell here in the states

I decided to buy another AK and I have been doing quite a bit of research.
    I handled all the Century products at the NRA Show and I thought they all seemed fine. However after reading the reviews and reading about people with excessive wear after a few hundred rounds I decided to go else where for a new AK. I figure if you are going to spend the money spend the money on a quality product like anything else that you are less likely to have problems with.

I decided to go with a DDI from Atlantic. I am awaiting its arrival!
    I already own a WASR, I am kind of mixed on it. I like to shoot it but it just feels and looks kind of slapped together. I say if I was going to buy one AK, I would just spend the money and get a high quality one.

I have heard nothing but good reviews on DDI. It sounds like they are making a real quality product.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    SLR107, SLR104/5, and SLR106 = stamped

SAM7 = milled

they did sell a SLR101S for a brief period of time that was milled, but then switched the name back to SAM7.

There are no *factory milled* AK74s. There are aftermarket AK74 milled receivers you can buy and build your own mill AK74. CNC Warrior has made then in the past.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Ah.. So that's a 7.62x39 rifle. That's part of why it was so puzzling to me. The muzzle brake (74 style), milled receiver and side folder had me scratching my head. Ha

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Haha.. So.. What would you call it exactly..? It's not an AK47, it's not an AKM.. It's not an AK74.. It's not an AK-101 or whatever series. So would the 5.56 just be considered it's own rifle?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom