First AK47 - Need just a little guidance/opinions...Arsenal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Looking to pick up my first AK rifle. Have been doing a little research/watching videos on a couple of manufacturers/versions. I think I have it narrowed down between a CA C39v2 and an Arsenal SAM7SF.

Would just be a range fun and defense rifle. I have other types/styles of firearms - but no AK. I don't mind paying for quality and am a firm believer in buy once/cry once when it's worth it. I would like to mount a Trijicon MRO on it. I think I like the black furniture vs more traditional wood.

So - is the Arsenal worth the significant difference in cost? Is there another manufacturer/version I should consider instead? Not really looking for "buy the cheapest rifle and spend the difference on ammo, mags, training" type advice but rather more opinions on what rifle to purchase. Regardless of what rifle I purchase I will be buying magazines, ammo, and training. :yesway:

Are red dots like the MRO difficult to mount? One of the SAM7SF versions has a quad rail option. Thoughts on that?
    As always, I welcome your guys advice and opinions. Appreciate your time!:ingo:

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I have an Arsenal I bought secondhand (SGL 21-61) and I love it.

Just give the gun a look over for canted sights and a bad coating job before you buy it.

As for mounts, you can go with a railed rifle to begin with, or a railed top cover (Krebs makes an amazing one), or you can buy a rifle with a side rail and put a mount on it.

As far as which manufacturer to go with, they all have issues now and again, but there are some companies that have issues more regularly than others. One rifle will run different from the next based on how well it was put together also. I had an I.O. Inc that was really gritty on the action compared to my Arsenal even after polishing the rails and etc.

outak.jpg

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Arsenals are good to go. There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews with centurys us made rifles like the c39 and ras47, ddi rifles are another good option too. As for mounting a red dot, my favorite option is the ultimak railed gas tube.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Arsenals are good to go. There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews with centurys us made rifles like the c39 and ras47, ddi rifles are another good option too. As for mounting a red dot, my favorite option is the ultimak railed gas tube.

Does that keep the optic from getting too hot?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have an Arsenal SLR-107 that I really like. If you are interested in a milled receiver gun, you might check out DDI as well. They are much less than the SAM7, but may be hard to find. As for optic mounts, I like the RS Regulate side mount.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Does that keep the optic from getting too hot?

If you mount on the gas tube you can get excess heat, but unless you are trying to melt the handguards it should be alright.
    If it's a large concern a top-cover rail or a mount for the side rail will keep it away from the heat.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    On my ak74, im running a pa advanced micro dot on the ultimak and I havent noticed any problems yet. Not that doing any torture test on it, but ivotten it hot enough to where I couldnt ho the the rifle by the handguard but handguardcould touch the sight without any problems. The tube does get hot and I have to watch how high I place my thumb tho.

ItchySides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Wanatah
    I personally like Veprs, but they don't take standard AK furniture without some modification, esp the slant back receivers. Great rifles though, heavy & built like a tank. I have my first Arsenal coming in soon (104FR), can't wait. Stick with the Arsenal.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Arsenals are nice but expensive. I'm not convinced the premium is worth it, especially after all the problems during AKOUs testing. I would look hard for a ROMY G, Maadi, WASR, or a Century Polish 1960 if you want a milled gun.

knutty

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Go with the Arsenal, Century C39 and RAS are garbage.

I would buy one of the RS siderail mounts for mounting the red dot. AKs are front heavy as it is..... adding a rail, mount and optic really throws off the balance for me. I prefer the standard polymer front handguard.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You will be very happy if you buy an Arsenal. I'm the buy-once / cry-once type as well, and I have never been disappointed with one of their rifles I purchased. If you buy something like a Century, you are rolling the dice as far as quality goes. Any reason you want a milled rather than stamped rifle though? I personally prefer the SLR rifles, but I also really dig my SAM7.

The Trijicon MRO is a terrific optic, but they sit a little too high for most AK optic mounts. The only mount that I know of that will allow you to see the irons through it is the new Gen II Midwest Industries optic specific top covers. Check them out, the new Gen II rails look awesome.

The Aimpoint Micro is a little more versatile as far as mounts go, literally everyone makes one for it. My personal favorite is the RS Regulate, I'm using 4 of them currently. You could also mount the optic on the gas tube with something like the Ultimak, but that's about the equivalent to placing it on a bbq grill.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    You will be very happy if you buy an Arsenal. I'm the buy-once / cry-once type as well, and I have never been disappointed with one of their rifles I purchased. If you buy something like a Century, you are rolling the dice as far as quality goes. Any reason you want a milled rather than stamped rifle though? I personally prefer the SLR rifles, but I also really dig my SAM7.

The Trijicon MRO is a terrific optic, but they sit a little too high for most AK optic mounts. The only mount that I know of that will allow you to see the irons through it is the new Gen II Midwest Industries optic specific top covers. Check them out, the new Gen II rails look awesome.

The Aimpoint Micro is a little more versatile as far as mounts go, literally everyone makes one for it. My personal favorite is the RS Regulate, I'm using 4 of them currently. You could also mount the optic on the gas tube with something like the Ultimak, but that's about the equivalent to placing it on a bbq grill.

No, there is no reason I am looking at milled. Just seems like the SAM7 rifles are easier to find right now. Been having difficulty finding SLR's available to purchase. SLR a little less cost wise - which I am good with as well.

I wanted to to put the MRO on it because I already have it. Didn't really think about the mount being a challenge. Would an American Defense Low mount work for the MRO? I am hesitant to use the Ultimak for the exact reason you mention.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    No, there is no reason I am looking at milled. Just seems like the SAM7 rifles are easier to find right now. Been having difficulty finding SLR's available to purchase. SLR a little less cost wise - which I am good with as well.

I wanted to to put the MRO on it because I already have it. Didn't really think about the mount being a challenge. Would an American Defense Low mount work for the MRO? I am hesitant to use the Ultimak for the exact reason you mention.

That mount will work, just keep in mind that it will sit too high for you to see the iron sights through it. That's a big deal to some (myself included), and a moot point to others. If I were going to mount an MRO on one, I would hold out for the Gen II MI rails with the optics specific tops. Looks like they did a real nice job designing them.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a DDI with all the Magpul goodies and it shoots nice.

I have a RS regulate mount on it, and the latest Primary Arms Red Dot, it shoots a decent group from 100yards.

It wasn't fantastic when I first received it (contradictory to all the QC they supposedly do), some of the mags would fit way too tight. Their CS department handled it all fine, sent me a return label, and had the gun about 5 days. I'm pretty sure they ended up replacing the receiver on it, but whatever they did, it works great.

I want to shoot it a bunch more, then decide if I want to put a CMC trigger in it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom