• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Picked a full pickup load of oak and cherry logs from the community brush drop-off yesterday. All about 4' long and 8 to 10" in diameter. I'll section them up and split them this weekend. Ought to see me through a few fires in the pit.
    Thats a good idea. Never thought of checking stuff like that

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Picked a full pickup load of oak and cherry logs from the community brush drop-off yesterday. All about 4' long and 8 to 10" in diameter. I'll section them up and split them this weekend. Ought to see me through a few fires in the pit.
    4' long you say? It's almost like the guy that cut it up knew it could be rescued from the chipper by a lucky soul such as you and turned into 16" firewood.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    When I had a tree service top 5 trees a few weeks ago so the garden would get more sun, I was amazed of their poor clean up trimming. Most every thing 3” and under they put in my burn pile. Pile got too big so started another pile. I burnt the burn pile the other day as I am currently flush with firewood but recut the second pile before I threw it in the burn pile. Got a decent amount of wood from it. I’ll cut down to about 1-1/2” diameter for firewood. About a week earlier, I cut down about a 16” dead oak and took about a 12” branch (80+ rings) from another oak. It took me about the same time to clean those as it took the crew of 4 to do a poor job of cleaning up the 5 trees they topped, about 7” diameter was the largest. I start at the top of the cut tree and cut at the 1-1/2” diameter point. Those pieces are easy to gather and take to the burn pile. What is left is a clean area around the tree that is easily cut into firewood. IMG_1206.jpeg
    The tarp in the background is to keep the garden plants from the radiant heat. Learned a few years ago the hard way I needed that! You can see the second brush pile I recut in the background on the right.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When a tree comes down in my woods I generally push all the brush and small stuff into a pile with the tractor. It's one of the things the Classified Forest folks like to see during an inspection as it provides wildlife cover. As I find tires on ground that I've purchased recently, these go on the bottom of these piles. Most all of my firewood is the trunk and larger branches.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    055f81527ed4f18febe60f5f3a7f674d.jpg

I cut and split 3 kubota loads (1/3 cord?) of Cherry today. Now that I have a gas splitter, I like cutting and splitting it the woods and leaving the mess out there. Handle it once to split and once to stack.

Top Bottom