• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    We do teach gun safety in our home and DO NOT allow any toy guns or BB guns in the home. Things are less confusing that way... All guns are dangerous!!!

Always been our policy as well. No such thing as toy guns or unloaded guns. Every gun is always loaded. No dry firing, no game playing.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Owning up to it doesn't bring dead people back to life.

AD List
    dburkhead 4 year old had his gun
    Flintlock shot his own foot.
    INRanger false fire fight
    Bubbajms his "buddy" accidently fired 4 rounds at the range
    SMiller using the trigger to "test" the safety
    jy951 "buck fever" booger hook on the trigger and another one on the safety at the same time.
    Greg.B using live amo in the gun room while working on the gun
    qwkdrwmgw his quick draw McGraw "friend" shot the VCR

The people who are careful enough to have not had or been involved in reckless shootings have increased their stock in my eyes. Only luck seperates these instances from the ones you read about in the paper. I don't expect pity reps for mistakes or give them.

I expect and give lashes and correction for mistakes and reps for success and high achievement.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Thanks for sharing-thankful no one was hurt. My 4yr and two 6 yr old grandkids really make me very cautious (nervous?) when they are around. Went to buy a pistol safe a week ago for this reason. I always thought they would never touch "poppy's" guns,but we all need a wake up call periodically.

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    WOW, I am glad you are all OK!!!

My turn, I was comming off duty one night after a 26 hours on in a row working a meth deal, walk in to the house went into my office area to take off my duty belt, and I really dont remember how my finger went into the trigger guard but it did and BANG, the G22 round went right into the floor.......

Everyone was asleep, but my wife was freaking out and the kids never woke up....

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Wow.... my jaw dropped as I was reading your post. I'm so glad that no one was hurt! I had an ND almost 25 years ago with a Colt Commander. I had cleaned the gun and put it back together and all was well. I put the mag in and worked the slide to load a round into the chamber. I dropped the mag and placed the gun on the table and then put another round in the mag. I pick the Colt up, looked at it and pulled the trigger.... BLAM!!!!! I was in disbelief at what had just happened and almost pulled the trigger again!!!! I got control of my senses and quickly went to see where the big .45 slug had gone. It went through the inside wall and out through the aluminum siding. Luckily there was a field next to the house and nobody around. It was a very humbling and emberassing moment to say the least. To this day I have no idea as to why I pulled the trigger. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad that onbody was hurt. We all, hopefully, learn from our mistakes.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Owning up to it doesn't bring dead people back to life.

AD List
    dburkhead 4 year old had his gun
    Flintlock shot his own foot.
    INRanger false fire fight
    Bubbajms his "buddy" accidently fired 4 rounds at the range
    SMiller using the trigger to "test" the safety
    jy951 "buck fever" booger hook on the trigger and another one on the safety at the same time.
    Greg.B using live amo in the gun room while working on the gun
    qwkdrwmgw his quick draw McGraw "friend" shot the VCR

The people who are careful enough to have not had or been involved in reckless shootings have increased their stock in my eyes. Only luck seperates these instances from the ones you read about in the paper. I don't expect pity reps for mistakes or give them.

I expect and give lashes and correction for mistakes and reps for success and high achievement.

You're correct; absolutely, in the fact that only luck separates these instances from the ones we read about. IMO, that's why we're sharing these stories; so that others can learn from our mistakes. I don't believe that anyone here expects 'pity reps'; I believe that everyone here expects others to listen and learn from our mistakes, and realize that just a moment of carelessness can result in a terrible accident. Perhaps our sharing these can be a reminder and jolt everyone back to that awareness level where we all should be at all times.

34oSc

Look, the guy admits to putting the gun within reach, then he says the 4yr old kept it pointed in a safe direction...
    Somebody call Child Protective Services. Pretty sure a crime has been committed-even if no-one is dead. Is THAT what we need? Another dead kid...maybe if Daddy's nuts had got blown off...
    If this guy's kid does it again next week(I know, I know, he says he's Eddie Eagle NOW)and blows her head off- how's all these "pity reps" gonna look entered into evidence? Not me, folks. This guy did a major screw-up, probably need to call the law.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Somebody call Child Protective Services.

Go for it. Tell them you read a story on an internet forum. Tell them you know for a fact that he lives somewhere in Indiana. Tell them you want him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Let us know how it goes.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Just to clarify my situation, "JackRyan", it wasn't really accidental - he meant to fire.. I was simply trying to relate how loud a firearm can be without hearing protection, and thus sharing my sympathy with being in a room with a discharging firearm without hearing protection. My buddy (which wasn't me, if that was an implication) DID neglect to wait until I was ready to shoot before he stepped up to the line...

Some people shoot without any hearing protection on a regular basis, and to them, there would have been nothing wrong with the situation. I prefer to not hear ringing for the next week, though..

And that being said, I saw a mechanical failure when I got my CCW in Ohio. We had to take a course that involved range time, and one of the other guys in the class had a revolver for his class firearm. Whatever mechanism holds the hammer back in single-action mode apparently failed, so when you pulled the hammer back, it would simply return to the forward position without any contact with the trigger.

jpserv

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Greenfield
    The wife would probably make me get rid of every gun in the house or she would leave if anything like that ever happened! Glad everyone is ok

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    People make mistakes. EVERYBODY makes mistakes. I applaud the guy's courage and honesty for relating his story here and trying to teach someone how quickly things can go wrong. He "fessed up" to his terrible mistake and is trying to teach us something. I am extremely careful with firearms and I've had a ND once as related in my earlier post. I learned from it and haven't had another since. Frankly I've never trusted those who say they have never made a mistake. Humans make mistakes, some minor, some major. Again I'm glad nobody was hurt and hopefully others can learn something from this.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm just glad you and your daughter and neighbors are all ok.

Look, you know you f'ed up. You admitted it. So thank God you guys are all right, change what you did wrong, and teach her. Nothing I, or anyone else, can say on here is going to hold a candle to the self beatings I'm sure you're giving yourself at this point.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Glad all is alright. Repping you for having the ballz to own up to it.

Its good to hear stories like this and lessons learned. It gives us all the chance to learn and reflect and do our hindsight about it. No one is immune to AD and ND. I thank my lucky stars that with 4 kids, 2 of which have emotional and mental problems, I have never had this experiance. If all goes well I never will but I know I'm not immune to it either. It could happen to any of us. Locks can be picked, keypad codes figured out, hiding spots found. Give a kid an empty house while you're outside working or napping and they'll go snooping. I know, I used to when I was younger.

To those who would want to call the cops, get real. You think it couldn't happen to you? You're dead wrong. Have you made any mistakes before? Of course. How about you go turn yourself in. Never done anything against the law AND dangerous you say? Ever swerved into someones lane on accident? Tailgated too close? Gotten into a fight? Drove drunk? Better go turn yourself in... :rolleyes:

Kudos to you David! :thumbsup:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not have children. On the other hand, every one makes mistakes. I realize that mistakes with guns, usualy do not end well. Never the less, we are all human. Just glad to see everyone is ok. Other then that I'm not going to say anything, it's not my place too. I have been shooting guns for quit a while now. As a kid I had bb, and pellet guns. My Dad always taught me safe gun handeling though. If I did something stupid it was gone. I also have military training. Well one day my Dad, and I where at the range. This was last year. I was shooting my Remington 597. I thought I had shot all 10 rounds. Well I pointed the muzle into the air, and pulled the trigger. Shot a round into the support beam. I thought, wow how stupid can I be. No matter how much training, or time behind a trigger you have, Everyone is still human and makes mistakes. All I can say is more caution deffently needs to be taken, when guns and children are involved. Again glad to see everyone is safe, and sound :)

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    My sad story of negligence...and I don't care who knows it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/149267-post40.html

There was only one perfect being.
    He didn't own firearms.
    Human beings are imperfect.
    We all make mistakes.
    I'm willing to bet that anyone who has handled firearms for a long period of time has or will make a mistake in his/her lifetime eventually.
    We learn from our mistakes.

34oSc...Don't be a dick. It doesn't suit you or the forum.

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Out deer hunting a few years ago with my son who I'll call "Austin" I was covering how to safey drop the hammer on a loaded single shot .20 ga. shotgun, as I had while it was unloaded earlier. Sure enough his thumb slipped, "POW" down goes the gun, up goes the heart rate. After a bit of time I had him chamber another shell, this time no slip and hopefully a little more educated, cautious and confident son emerged form those woods.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When I was geetting back into shooting: I was watching Cops and cleaning my old Beretta 92. Funny thing was the department being shown was the IPD (before IMPD). I used to "dry fire" at my TV for **** poor practice. I wasn't thinking and was a complete idiot. I yell, "he's got a knife" and send a handloaded 115gr Gold Dot into my TV, not understanding that it was loaded. I checked the walls and everything (all the while my ears are ringing). Funny thing is (yeah, its NOT funny, the situation) that the Gold Dot didn't penetrate beyond the TV. Sad thing was I was out a (albeit) crappy TV and I had to pick jacketing material out of my foot off and on for a week. I still find jacketing here and there when I clean up the room.

Moral of the story is: Always treat a gun as loaded, ENSURE it is loaded/unloaded ANYTIME you handle it and even if you leave the room to go to the bathroom, check it when you get back into the room.

Also, I learned a HUGE amount just from that situation. I could have killed myself, someone else, I am sure I killed the TV. It isn't terribly funny to me in that I could have seriously hurt someone and for the wrong reason. It gives me a bad image, but I wanted to get it out there so that people can learn from my ignorance and retardedness. Guns aren't toys, they are weapons.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom