• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    How in the world did this country come to be when essentially there was no widespread pasteurization of milk until well into the 1800s.
    This is stupid.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    How in the world did this country come to be when essentially there was no widespread pasteurization of milk until well into the 1800s.
    This is stupid.
    Women gave birth every year and buried a lot more babies then we do these days.

Cats that live on dairy farms are happy cats, at least the cats were at the one I worked on during my high school years. I dislike cows less then the Amish, but it is a close race.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    By the way who has Keysor's Bicycle now?!

picture.php

this one?:): I think KG1 got it when E5Ranger went shooter.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    finally! I dont think amish should be able to "deal" with crime within their little villages or whatever they live in. They need to start paying taxes, im just glad the gov. is making them pay a wheel tax for their buggies.. I dont even know why i'm ranting no amish ever read this anyways.. haha if he does. good luck in jail and i hope you dont get made someones girlfriend, they may like your beard.

dingodog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Monticello
    OK. They broke the law. I get it.

There are many, many, many, more worthwhile ways the government could and should spend its money and resources.

But, I feel much safer now.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I don't think any foodstuffs should be made illegal as long as it is labeled properly.

On a side note, I was watching this show called "Flying Wild Alaska" and they were eating something called "stink flippper". They took a seal flipper, buried it in the ground for a couple of months and ate it after it had rotted. How is that legal if raw milk is illegal?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You lost me with this. They also breast fed their babies then. Are you saying the raw milk killed the babies?
    Yes, I answered your question in the historical context it was aksed, how did the country grow back then. More women also died giving birth and to this day not all women can breast feed their babies. Some things science can not change.

I would add, when I worked at the Dairy farm, we drank raw milk every day, it was part of our employment "deal." We also burned a lot of calories, the stuff is high in fat for a reason.

Once you start batching raw milk, comingling it and so forth, no you do not want to drink it, even from the same farm. All kinds of Sh** can get in it. You have to rely on the ethics of the person selling it to you.

This is a good read that I popped on Google. Compares today to the 1800's.

The 15 Things that Pasteurization Kills

None of this has anything to do with my dislike for the Amish.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Nicely done sir! :lol2:
    You do know the Japanese air dropped fleas on China that were infected with the bubonic plague? You read history right?

See, milk has a history in our common collective and a Federal bureau owns it now but there was a time when milk killed, just like fleas.

Today do we kill fleas to prevent disease or more for common comfort? I guess it depends on what books you read? My dogs never have fleas.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This guys mistake was not selling raw milk. It was selling raw milk across state lines. Interstate commerce, if the Feds don't like something this is the fallback for their controlling it.

I have no idea if raw milk is healthier or not. I do not think it is the governments place to tell people what they can consume though.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This guys mistake was not selling raw milk. It was selling raw milk across state lines. Interstate commerce, if the Feds don't like something this is the fallback for their controlling it.

I have no idea if raw milk is healthier or not. I do not think it is the governments place to tell people what they can consume though.
    Somewhere, right now in America, a Muslim just ate pork and does not know it. Now, I have no clue if that still means he is going to burn for it, but rest assured it happens. Even though it is aganst the law for that to happen. This is not an Amish issue, just an example.

Consumption by choice and food safety are two different things. The example above trancends both issues. God knows there was never an unethical Amish guy.

The Amish ignoring the same laws we have to live by, gets old, no sympathy for them at all. Send them to Israel, they have a lot in common but the Jews fight for their religious freedom.

Raw milk crossing state lines in any form, not going in my fridge. If I buy raw milk, I am standing at the source.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    I'm completely on the side of being able to freely buy or sell raw milk if that's what floats your boat, but I wouldn't give it to an infant. I personally know of several relatives that died before the age of 2 from raw milk (granted, this was a long time ago - they'd be grandparents today).

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Many families have a lot of infants in cemeteries that todays generation are completely unaware of their existence. If they go look, they may even see their name on a headstone of an infant. Circa 1850 to 1930.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Somewhere, right now in America, a Muslim just ate pork and does not know it. Now, I have no clue if that still means he is going to burn for it, but rest assured it happens. Even though it is aganst the law for that to happen. This is not an Amish issue, just an example.

Consumption by choice and food safety are two different things. The example above trancends both issues. God knows there was never an unethical Amish guy.

The Amish ignoring the same laws we have to live by, gets old, no sympathy for them at all. Send them to Israel, they have a lot in common but the Jews fight for their religious freedom.

Raw milk crossing state lines in any form, not going in my fridge. If I buy raw milk, I am standing at the source.

Why the hate on the Amish?

The main difference between them and the rest of us? They stood together and stood their ground on their principles and convinced the gov't to leave them alone more than the rest of us.

Kind of bolsters the argument that willing participation in "the system" implies consent of same.

Top Bottom