• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Im not worried about that. I know they wont bring the plane down. What I worry about is the passenger who has a few drinks and decides to get stupid. We have enough to worry about up front without worrying about who has a gun in the back.

Its easy for someone to say how great it would be when they are sitting on the ground and making suppositions about what a great idea it would be. You are not the one who takes the responsibility of getting a plane full of people from point A to point B safely. Believe me, we have enough to worry about.

Hum... Sorry but don't buy that argument either. In Indiana (alone not sure about the rest of the states) we are allowed to drink (get wasted if we want to) and carry at the same time. By your logic then we should have heard news reports of drunked people shooting off their guns in bars when the bar tender refuses to give them more drinks or when the "hot" chick next to them says no.

I can't recall hearing about this in the news. I think VT is another state that has no law against drinking and guns and again nothing in the news.

I'm not saying there won't ever be a case like the one you stated. But that the probablity of that occuring is much lower than saying a passenger having a hissy fit over not getting a pillow.

Your agrument borders on the "lets us the scare tactic" that the ANTIs use all the time.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    And I thought I was ultra right wing!

There are certain places that guns don't belong. An airplane is one, bottom line. There are way too many people in a confined space for someone who is untrained to be allowed to fire a weapon off.

The Rambo attitude is what gives the anti-gun nuts more fuel for their fire.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

There are certain places that guns don't belong. An airplane is one, bottom line. There are way too many people in a confined space for someone who is untrained to be allowed to fire a weapon off.

well the idea is that the bad guy who wants to fire his weapon off doesnt want to because hes afraid of all the good guys on the plane that will fire theirs back at him! a plane or a city street is no different.
    your assuming that people will just jump on a plane and start shooting people, and i have to disagree. Im for carry of law abiding citisens everywhere, no limits. im sure it will never happen but it would be nice if it did.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

I personally cannot think of one single place that firearms should be prohibited from being carried.

Personally I am more nervous about drunk/drugged Pilots...
    This is at least a factual problem.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    well the idea is that the bad guy who wants to fire his weapon off doesnt want to because hes afraid of all the good guys on the plane that will fire theirs back at him! a plane or a city street is no different.
    your assuming that people will just jump on a plane and start shooting people, and i have to disagree. Im for carry of law abiding citisens everywhere, no limits. im sure it will never happen but it would be nice if it did.

I feel differently. I think there are areas that guns just simply don't belong. In no way am I anti-gun. But there are just some areas that only highly trained people are allowed to carry.

The majority of gun owners are not trained for chaos. They are not mentally able to pick a situation apart quickly and separate and evaluate details in a situation that required quick thinking.

There are some people with guns that should not have the right to carry one. People who make threats when they get angry and start grabbing for a gun should have their right taken from them. People with mental problems should not be allowed to carry. While this is the law, it is rarely investigated. You never know how someone will react in a situation, much less a plane full of people with an unknown number who are armed.

No, there are some places that should remain off limits.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I dont know who you fly for, but my company will fire anyone who gives TSA any problems.
    Giving the TSA jerks a hard time is pretty much company policy at my airline. All our flight crews receive the same training as the TSA screeners, so we know the rules and love laying some smack down on the TSA's little Adolphs that like making up their own rules. Of course we also know exactly how far we can push it before we'd get in trouble.

Here's a pretty hard-and-fast rule: The smaller the airport, the bigger d#$%s the TSA screeners are.

My last commute, the small-airport TSA weenie looks at my ID, scowls puts his hands on his hips and says (in a bullying tone), "I don't know that I've ever heard of THAT airline before." I just walked around him and said over my shoulder, "I'm sure there's A LOT of things you don't know!" All he could do was continue to stand there, slackjawed (like most of them are anyway).

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    Giving the TSA jerks a hard time is pretty much company policy at my airline. All our flight crews receive the same training as the TSA screeners, so we know the rules and love laying some smack down on the TSA's little Adolphs that like making up their own rules. Of course we also know exactly how far we can push it before we'd get in trouble.

Here's a pretty hard-and-fast rule: The smaller the airport, the bigger d#$%s the TSA screeners are.

My last commute, the small-airport TSA weenie looks at my ID, scowls puts his hands on his hips and says (in a bullying tone), "I don't know that I've ever heard of THAT airline before." I just walked around him and said over my shoulder, "I'm sure there's A LOT of things you don't know!" All he could do was continue to stand there, slackjawed (like most of them are anyway).

Yes, they think they are God. The majority are as worthless as mall security. One thing is to push a little, but another is to start yelling and putting on a show, which is what some pilots have been canned for.

What gets me is when pilots go through, or attempt to, with a bottle of water and coffee and throw a fit when they are told they have to throw it away. They know the rules and think that screaming the price they paid at Star Bucks makes them exempt from the policy.

Would you be comfortable with PAX carrying on any your flights?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I feel differently. I think there are areas that guns just simply don't belong. In no way am I anti-gun. But there are just some areas that only highly trained people are allowed to carry.

The majority of gun owners are not trained for chaos. They are not mentally able to pick a situation apart quickly and separate and evaluate details in a situation that required quick thinking..

It used to be said that only 1 in 5 soldiers fired their weapons in a firefight; the rest would freeze up. I don't know how true this is when we're training for CQB, but likely the vast majority of civilians on aircraft wouldn't participate in a firefight. However, it only takes one or two to take down a lone gunman and the more potential shooters your average drunk or trained hijacker has to worry about, the less good the odds look for pulling that gat.

Granted a modern airline is a complicated piece of machinery and misplaced rounds can do damage to systems, but frangible rounds could be developed (if they aren't already available) that would minimize damage to the structure while still doing their job. It's already been shown that several rounds through the pressure hull will not cause catastrophic damage to the aircraft or passengers and pilots are already sealed behind kevlar-strengthened cockpit doors.

I think your argument is the same that gun-opponents have kept saying about expanded LTCH issues everywhere; they predict chaos and blood in the streets, but it doesn't happen.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The majority of gun owners are not trained for chaos. They are not mentally able to pick a situation apart quickly and separate and evaluate details in a situation that required quick thinking.

so lets just disarm EVERYONE and then no one will be in danger. where have i heard that before? :rolleyes:

There are some people with guns that should not have the right to carry one. People who make threats when they get angry and start grabbing for a gun should have their right taken from them. People with mental problems should not be allowed to carry. While this is the law, it is rarely investigated. You never know how someone will react in a situation, much less a plane full of people with an unknown number who are armed.

No, there are some places that should remain off limits.

i also made one comment above in your quote in red.

actualy people who get angry and reach for their gun should just be SHOT. and if i had my gun i could do it, but if i dont then Im still gonna try to stop it but i might get killed in the process along with other innocent people. all those things you mentioned are already against the law. just like drunk driving or flying is, but it still happens all the time. people who try to use preventative measures like this to fight crime are only kidding themselves and not addressing the real problems.

More people have died from pilot error than have ever been killed from being shot on a plane. how about better training for pilots? you cant take away peoples rights just so you feel safer, it doesnt work like that in this country. well its not supposed too.

hypotheticly of coarse: if i came on your plane and started using my hands to cause mass death, would you vote to handcuff all your passengers?

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not to mention that pilots are subject to the same screening as passengers. It makes no sense what-so-ever. But you cant fight the system. If you do you just end up unemployed.

I dont know who you fly for, but my company will fire anyone who gives TSA any problems. So I grit my teeth and deal with it. I miss the days of being respected and allowed to pass in my uniform with my ID carrying my coffee and breakfast.

Monday morning the fun begins again with a 4 day trip away from home. At least overseas we are still respected somewhat. :rolleyes:

But I disagree 100% with passengers allowed to carry on board. No way. If something like that happened, I would be finding a new job. Its hard for me to trust the air marshals much less passengers with no security clearances much less training. Nope. I think that would be a very bad idea.

How is a person carrying a weapon in public any different than someone carrying a weapon on a plane?

Top Bottom