• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana

Shuck'lns sorry about the dupe Did not see the other one. I guess the difference between WWII artifacts and ancient artifacts threw me:( Neither article seems to really explain the whole of the action here. And unless they are just guessing what would make them think some items were "improperly" obtained. Said nothing about illegally obtained. And he hasn't been arrested (yet). This just smells a bit to me. There are apparently a number of newspaper articles written, so it's not like he was hiding anything. It looks more to me like some big museum maybe associated with the government somewhere found some technicality that will enable to put some of the artifacts in "their proper location" ...like maybe their museum would be a proper place....just say'in:rolleyes:.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Hmmm, they are there by his invitation.

I haven't read everything but I haven't seen that he called them. Where is that reported? Also, if I call you to say I have a TV that I bought off a guy and I think it's stolen, will that result in all of my electronics being catalogued and searched? Just not sure how it got to where it's at I guess.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I saw the pictures on the news, what are the huge black motor homes for? Looked like a easy half million dollars in hardware sitting out there for what, fossils?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I haven't read everything but I haven't seen that he called them. Where is that reported? Also, if I call you to say I have a TV that I bought off a guy and I think it's stolen, will that result in all of my electronics being catalogued and searched? Just not sure how it got to where it's at I guess.
    It hasn't been reported.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I would bet it comes down to the crap laws dealing with artifacts. You know? Buy an ancient Egyptian pot in Egypt. Get arrested because it's some sort of "cultural treasure". Nevermind all that will happen is it will sit in a warehouse somewhere, probably end up stolen and fenced by a corrupt official or smashed the next time the regime changes hands.

At what age do items automatically come under government ownership? Probably whenever convenient for the coffers of the state.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Look, all I'm going to say about this is that there is zero public information being released. So, any conclusions drawn are based on assumptions and personal biases. I'm waiving the SAME caution used in threads where a citizen shot a killed someone and news reports shed no light on the situation. Its good advise then and good advise now. Do not presume you know enough to make any informed decisions on this story. I tell people this almost daily at work. Both LEO and non LEOs alike.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    The collection was described by an anthropology professor as being equaled by only the largest museums.

Who cares? It's his property. The burden is on the State to prove he acquired anything illegally.

More :bs: coming to you live from the heartland of what now only bears a passing resemblance to America.

I would rather set everything I own on fire than see it fall into the hands of the State.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Put up your foil hats. The guy spent most of his life traveling and collecting, not always legally. Apparently according to an atf spokesmen on the news. The countries want their artifacts back.
    They are not saying he did wrong yet, but the people he bought from did.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    33a738c1aa7d10ab27a6ff187e00b8724cdf44a3ee534821a7aa0cdc4a64c5fd.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Who cares? It's his property. The burden is on the State to prove he acquired anything illegally.

More :bs: coming to you live from the heartland of what now only bears a passing resemblance to America.

I would rather set everything I own on fire than see it fall into the hands of the State.
    The burden is on the State to prove he acquired anything illegally? Childhood fantasy and bed time stories.

Top Bottom