• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    After sending 16 starlings to their snowy graves today, and countless varmit and squirrel hunts, as well as thousands and thousands of rounds at cans, wine bottles, paper targets, and anything else you can think of, I have come to realize that my favorite rifle, and even gun ever, is my Marlin 60 .22lr. I bought it new with saved up money when I was 13, and put a pretty nice sling on it, and from then on out its been everywhere. Its my go to gun for just about anything, and is reliable as just about anything I've shot. What is it about a good solid .22 that makes you just fall in love with it?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the m60's are great, but get dirty real fast so you have to keep the actions clean... i have one my dad "gave" me.... havent fired it though... my favority long gun is probably my ruger 10/22....

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Just got done posting this in the best deal you've ever got on a firearm thread.....

My ex's dad handed me an old Marlin just like that. A late 70's with the 17 rd tube and stamped squirrels. The bolt was stuck open and it hadn't been cleaned in yrs. He says "If you can fix it, you can have it." Easy fix---> he didn't know there was a manual bolt hold open on those older models! She shoots like a dream and the price was right at $0.00!:rockwoot:

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Yeah Indygunworks in my experience they like to be kept clean and dry. No heavy oiling or anything, just a simple wipe down of the action once in awhile and they'll run like a sewing machine.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I gotta go with my 10/22 also...I bought mine new with my own money back in 1972....my first gun...I still shoot it and it still works great....knid of like your first real kiss, you never forget and it always keeps a special place with you....In fact I like the 10/22 so much I recently bought a nice used 2nd one....

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You have to tell them when you're out shooting alone with the rifle. If it tells the others when you return, it is dismissed as just "benchrest talk."

A Marlin 60 was my first rifle 26 years ago. I mourn the loss of the original and replaced it a couple of years ago.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    My Noble Mdl 20F.....single shot .22....When I was 12, I mowed lawns to get the money to buy it. I don't shoot it much anymore, but it will always be one of my favorites.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I had two, one was a custom .22 mag with beautiful wood. It was the rifle I always had in the truck. The other was a custom 7x57 on a mauser action that was one of the best hunting rifles I ever had. Well balanced and very accurate. I miss both of them.

jwdeal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    My favorite

I got a Winchester 94 22 xtr.. I love the gun and have owned it for almost 3o years now,, the only problem is , it soooooo pretty I hate to take it out and take the risk of damage

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    for me it's my Marlin model 25N...also my first gun ever...still the most accurate open site shooter I have owned. It's the one on the bottom...

IMG_0605.jpg

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Well, I've GOT a couple of 60's, sort of. The first my dad bought from the muncie n kmart in about 68 or 69. I spent many days with it along the Mississinewa river south of Albany. He gave it to me, and I soon after passed it on to my youngest, who, of the two, has more fun and is thus better with a .22. The older has one that I won at a raffle. I managed to come up with two H&R .410's, and one year at christmas, told them both they each had a rifle and a shotgun now. The younger still likes to shoot hers whenever she is out at my dad's and thinks of it. So is spends lots of its time out there. The elder is just now getting into the fun of shooting again. Thanks to her boyfriend and his :rolleyes: Sigma .40. I know, I know, lots of people like them, I'm just not one of them. Anyhoo, till they get out of the Antichrist's house (their mother) and get their own place, I'll just hold on to the long guns for them.

My OWN favorite? Still gotta be the 336A. Shoots great, doesn't kick like my little Winchester 94 did, and reaches out and touches them. I am so hoping they legalize them for deer before I'm too old to hunt.....

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    my first gun was my marlin 99c 1952,its the older version of the 60.its the most accurate open sight gun i have next to the comp rifle i use to shoot its like i cant miss lol.i love that gun now my little guy is learning just how fun it is.

Top Bottom