• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayCo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2024
    Marion County
    As title implys, I'm wanting to know what everyone's favorite go to war pistol setup is. Thinking about buying myself a new setup for my birthday, and wondering what setups were good to invest in.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If “go to war” is what I think it implies. You may want to invest in something that is popular and has a lot of holster and magazine options. I feel everyone should own an AR-15 and a Glock in 9mm.

I am a 1911 fan, they make me giggly. But I keep a Glock 45 and Glock 26 as an option. Otherwise knock yourself out with whatever makes you happy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Is this even a question
    5642318_Pic2.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Best carry retention I've ever seen
    That gun is going NOWHERE, his limbs could get separated and his torso shall retain that gun. :laugh:

Real answer, my criteria for "overt warfare" sidearms is as follows:

-9mm
    -Full size frame, high capacity 17+
    -RDS support from factory
    -Cowitness backup irons
    -Full size light X300/TLR1
    -Very high reliability
    -Threaded barrel availability
    -Safariland makes a light bearing active retention holster for it
    -No barrel porting, comp, or cool guy lightening cuts due to debris concerns
    -Drop safe
    -No design elements that are excessively stupid or not user friendly

There's a lot of options. The G17MOS is the easiest layup. HK VP9. M&P 2.0. Walther PDP. Staccato.

Plenty more if specifically buying a Safariland 63-series isn't absolutely necessary. Beretta 92, 226, P30, the list just goes on. I honestly think the biggest restriction, apart from basic safety and reliability, is finding something with modern retention holster support including light and optic. No replacement for the latest and greatest Safariland, IMO. But if you do a little research, you can often find some unofficial cross-compatibility between guns that isn't listed on their website. My TP9SF Elite with TLR1 and 507c drops right in to a 6360 for the M&P.

Get what appeals to you, that you can shoot, and that you can afford. Capability matters more than brand. Does it run? Can you carry it effectively on your person? Does it have a light? Does it have a dot? Can you shoot that dot at night under NODs? Do you have a suppressor? Can you swap the suppressor on and shoot it at night, under NODs, without failures? Can you deploy that gun from your holster after getting blown free from your vehicle by an IED, while your rifle sling is trying to strangle you? It's not brand, it's capability. Buy what delivers capability for you, because you do not have a supply clerk telling you to STFU and take the only pistol they have available to give you.

Which is the actual reality for 99.5% of people who bring pistols to war.

Top Bottom