• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Interesting thread on reddit where fast food workers talked about what to stay away from. What do you avoid?

1. Subway seafood - Fake crab meat and mayo
    VaVPQ.png

2. Wendy's Chilli - Meat from patties that sat on grill to long
    oEzLq.jpg

3. Arby's Roast Beef - Disgusting when raw
    uPuoG.jpg

4. Burger King Fish Sandwhich - Oil used for frying is black like motor oil
    lzH4Y.jpg

5. McDonald Sweet Tea- 1 pound of sugar per gallon

9r0je.png

6. KFC Buffalo Chicken snackers

"KFC shredded buffalo chicken snackers are made with the "expired" chicken that sat in the heating bay for too long and can't be sold to customers. Also, the coleslaw. The sauce was often mixed by hand into the lettuce with someone who had gloves that came to their wrists. When finished they would have sauce up their forearms." -reddit

9Chpr.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I cooked up many a chili meat. Once pulled off the grill, it gets put in a pan on the counter like the sandwich toppings. It sits there until it gets full and goes back to the walk in for the next days chili. A good grill guy that can keep just the right amount of meat going will take all day to fill that pan.

I still occasionally eat their chili.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I cooked up many a chili meat. Once pulled off the grill, it gets put in a pan on the counter like the sandwich toppings. It sits there until it gets full and goes back to the walk in for the next days chili. A good grill guy that can keep just the right amount of meat going will take all day to fill that pan.

The meat can sit in the walk in for 31 days before making chili with it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Cooking oil.....

I remember when no matter whether you ordered fries, fish, or chicken at LJS, it all tasted like fish.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Interesting :D

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Anyone else work or worked in fast food?

I did a couple years ago.

The Mcd sweet tea is actually one pound of sugar for FIVE gallons. But I can see how an employee there might not be able to tell the difference....;)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Interesting :D

There had to be meat on the grill at all times. Depending on how busy as to how much meat goes on. The idea is that there is a fresh perfectly done piece of meat to go on the bun as soon as its ordered and the toppings are being put on.

At a moderately busy time, you'd have 4 columns of 4 patties each for both 1/4# and junior meat. The left column was the last meat put on and the right column is ready to serve. If the meat is overdone and not ordered, it gets pulled off for chili meat. 19 years later, I bet I could take over the grill and get the hang of it again pretty quickly.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    After a couple of decades I bet I could work grill at BK with no problems, just like hornadylnl. But I don't recall black grease at BK, either (white cubes of vegetable shortening that melts to a green color. Can turn a clear black if you burn it. Gets dirty, but no big deal-2 days for fries then it moves to the everything else fryers and fries get fresh oil). We had a very tightly run, clean store. I typically closed and cleaned everything. Nasty job, don't ever wanna do it again. Grease caked floors, grease soaked skin, the smell in your car and clothes....Yeah, no thanks.

I still eat it every so often, but I don't eat convenience food much anyways. The worst things I remember happening were 1. the guy we paid $1 to stick his tongue to the freezer wall and then we left him in there crying, 2. the maintenance guy laying in water from a leaky steamer with power on and shocking himself into unconsciousness, 3. cleaning up after nasty customers, and 4. cleaning a fryer when the stupid things wouldn't drain because of all the crumbs in the bottom (put the glove on and reach into the 350^ oil to unclog it).

Edit:Won many a bet from sticking my hand into scalding water and holding it there-push your palm to the bottom of the basin and put weight on it to reduce feeling and blood flow. Also, onions in a 110V outlet and the other hand on a stainless counter does not hurt you but will give a jolt to the next guy you grab if he doesn't have a hold of the same counter. Hmm, maybe that's...that's...th...th...that's what happened to me.

Last edited:

pfinley82

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frankton
    I work in commercial kitchens. KFC is False on booth. They have gloves that go half way up the bicep. Snacker chicken is specifically for the snackers. It comes to them pre cut.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I had Wendy's chili last Monday for the first time. It was great. I'd eat it again as long as I didn't [STRIKE]buy a finger and put it in the chili[/STRIKE] get sick from it. I mean, it's not like they leave the burger meat out for days before they use it.

Top Bottom