Fanatical religious terrorist incident Colorado Springs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If you spend much time on Youtube watching videos, you could get the idea that "battle rife" is the more accepted term for the guns that we're talking about.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Please explain the dishonesty. To say auto-loading is more accurate than saying semiautomatic. And even that's meaninless to the masses.

Seems like a distinction without a difference to me. We simply need to stop letting the other side define terms. Both "semi-automatic" and "autoloading" have the scary term "auto" in them. Why be afraid to use either one?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The point is the emphasis is on the term "auto" so its scary.
    Yes, while technically correct, they intentionally use it for the benefit of those who don't know that the MAJORITY of todays firearms ARE "auto".
    They push the argument that all AUTOMATIC anything firearms are evil and need to go away.
    diane fineswine or one of the usual gun grabbers try to push this every time.

The editorial board of the Times seems dimly aware that "assault weapons" are not machine guns, since it says they are "modified" (albeit "barely" or "slightly" modified) versions of guns used by soldiers. Likewise Collins, who correctly calls the guns she wants to eliminate "semiautomatic," meaning they fire once per trigger pull—unlike machine guns, which fire continuously, or assault rifles, which can fire either way. But Collins, who claims "semiautomatic weapons are totally inappropriate for either hunting or home defense," clearly does not understand how broad that category is, encompassing any gun that fires, ejects the empty casing, and chambers another catridge when you press the trigger. The semiautomatic weapons that Collins deems "totally inappropriate for either hunting or home defense" include many different models of hunting rifles and virtually all modern handguns except for revolvers.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/12/07/obama-wants-to-ban-assault-weapons-but-d

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So? There are plenty of basic concepts I don't grasp. He is a phenomenal supporter of the Second Amendment, the constitution, and states rights. I could Not care less if he knows the difference in Full auto, semi auto, and a revolver.

I probably could have guessed we'd disagree on Levin,
    Here he is going off on a caller, hes not slipping on a minor detail, he seems to not grasp a basic gun concept.

Starts at 1:01:00
    December 2, 2015 | MARK-CM

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So? There are plenty of basic concepts I don't grasp. He is a phenomenal supporter of the Second Amendment, the constitution, and states rights. I could Not care less if he knows the difference in Full auto, semi auto, and a revolver.

It's not even his ignorance I take issue with, it's his arrogant, loud, defiant attitude despite being objectively wrong. I don't care how strongly you support the 2nd amendment there's still a wrong way to go about defending it and he went about it in the wrong way.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Seems like a distinction without a difference to me. We simply need to stop letting the other side define terms. Both "semi-automatic" and "autoloading" have the scary term "auto" in them. Why be afraid to use either one?

I prefer to call mine "single shot" to appease the panicky intellectual children out there. After all, there's only a single shot for every pull of the trigger.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

My point is not about semantics or what we should call it. It's that I don't hear dishonesty in that exchange. I heard Levin rudely argue semantics with a caller. I didn't hear the "conspiracy" or whatever that you heard. Just that he disagrees with the label the industry has given "semiautomatic" firearms because it confuses people into thinking it means the weapon is capable of spraying bullets. I'm not sure what he'd rather have us call it when I don't need to actuate anything after firing a round to get another round chambered. I'm not at all afraid of the term "auto". I know guys who call their 1911s "auto".

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Was reading a WaPo piece about the two guns tied to the neighbor and they were making a point of describing the rifles as 'military grade'. was wondering if this will become the propaganda of choice. Even more meaningless but just as scary to the sheep. Trying to make the distinction that this type of rifle should be military/LEO only, perhaps?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's not even his ignorance I take issue with, it's his arrogant, loud, defiant attitude despite being objectively wrong. I don't care how strongly you support the 2nd amendment there's still a wrong way to go about defending it and he went about it in the wrong way.

I think Reagan's 11th commandment applies here by extension

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My point is not about semantics or what we should call it. It's that I don't hear dishonesty in that exchange. I heard Levin rudely argue semantics with a caller. I didn't hear the "conspiracy" or whatever that you heard. Just that he disagrees with the label the industry has given "semiautomatic" firearms because it confuses people into thinking it means the weapon is capable of spraying bullets. I'm not sure what he'd rather have us call it when I don't need to actuate anything after firing a round to get another round chambered. I'm not at all afraid of the term "auto". I know guys who call their 1911s "auto".

How about 'sequential'? It's accurate for racing gearboxes why not guns. On the tranny you move the same lever through the same arc and it shifts one gear then resets and is ready for the next shift. On a gun you pull the same lever through the same arc and it fires a round then resets ready to fire again.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Was reading a WaPo piece about the two guns tied to the neighbor and they were making a point of describing the rifles as 'military grade'. was wondering if this will become the propaganda of choice. Even more meaningless but just as scary to the sheep. Trying to make the distinction that this type of rifle should be military/LEO only, perhaps?

Military grade I'd have a problem with. That is clearly not there as a technical qualifier but is used to imply they should only be available to the military.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, this thread...wow.

'Bout time to rename it "The thread of many topics".

I dunno if it was this or another thread where I said that after 900 posts a thread gets to be about anything it wants.

Military grade I'd have a problem with. That is clearly not there as a technical qualifier but is used to imply they should only be available to the military.

We like our AR's to be mil-spec. If we take "grade" to mean "quality of standard", then some of them kinda are "military grade". Of course the literal meaning isn't what's implied. They certainly mean features. I just heard Juan Williams argue that these assault weapon's semiautomatic-ness is somehow more deadly than a semiautomatic hunting rifle. And I don't think we could conjure any gun nomenclature that would stop people from assuming stupid **** about guns. I mean these idiots think that a "bullet button" turns the thing into a fully automatic rifle, for crying out loud. As I said elsewhere, if they're that ignorant about the subject they don't belong in the debate!

On the tranny you move the same lever...

Dude, I try not to judge. But that may be something you should keep to yourself. :):

Top Bottom