• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    In the same situation, someone getting in my face, I will not back down.

When you shut up and get out of my face, I will walk away. If you start up again I will turn and face you until you stop.

I have had this happen a couple of times and have faced down gang bangers in Chicago. (it helps to have a big Bible)
    From what I read on ingo this is apparently not the appropriate thing to do. We still haven’t been informed what is but we know this isn’t it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If wearing a MAGA hat, one must retreat. Since they asked for trouble, right?

usa-trump_inauguration3.jpg

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Yeah, I agree, he was looking for something to "get into," and while I think the kids could have done better, I keep asking myself where the chaperones were? A bunch of kids from Kentucky in DC, mixing it up with loons and separatists? Not the smartest route in terms of safety. If my kids were in that situation, you'd better believe they wouldn't be going on any more field trips with the school, and there would be hell to pay.

The Bishop admitted to caving to outside pressure to rush to judgment and offered an apology to the students and their parents. So, although he was wrong to begin with, he: 1) admitted his error publicly and 2) asked for forgiveness from the ones he had wronged. Some people may not be too accepting of this, but as Roman Catholics, we recognize that everybody "sins," and the Bishop did what was required by Church teachings.

As to your particular take on what actions the students and their chaperones should have taken: sounds like the same sort of second-guessing you enjoy so much when people armchair quarterback the decisions you make on the street. And apparently you haven't seen the segment of the video of those students rushing off en masse when their buses showed up at the exact spot the students were told to wait for them.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think some people have gotten to the point that the video could show these kids helping the elderly, feeding the poor and rescuing puppies and kittens from kill shelters and they would still be doing it wrong. Hell we have our own members here that still bitterly cling to the notion that these kids “should have done better”. Remember when in doubt double down

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not directed at you in particular, but a chance to use another quote:

“When we say ‘we don’t know what we’d do under the same circumstances,’ we make cowardice the default position.” Kathy Shaidle
    That quote is non-sequitur bull****. It’s just a stupid sound bite. At worst when you say you don’t know what you would’ve done, it’s merely a failure of imagination. It doesn’t logically conclude with cowardice as a default. More facts not in evidence in that quote are required to make cowardice the default conclusion.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Bishop admitted to caving to outside pressure to rush to judgment and offered an apology to the students and their parents. So, although he was wrong to begin with, he: 1) admitted his error publicly and 2) asked for forgiveness from the ones he had wronged. Some people may not be too accepting of this, but as Roman Catholics, we recognize that everybody "sins," and the Bishop did what was required by Church teachings.

As to your particular take on what actions the students and their chaperones should have taken: sounds like the same sort of second-guessing you enjoy so much when people armchair quarterback the decisions you make on the street. And apparently you haven't seen the segment of the video of those students rushing off en masse when their buses showed up at the exact spot the students were told to wait for them.

If I allow my kids to take a school field trip, and next thing I know, they're facing off with White Supremacists and people who may be in an iffy mental state, in a city known for murders, with not a single chaperone in sight, I should ok with it? Yeah, I'm going to have an issue with that. If that's second guessing, then so be it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    AOC going after the lowest-hanging-fruit, generalizing Jim-****in'-Hoft as the GOP's "best and brightest". While it does allow you to generalize their idiots as the face of the party... it's also effective to her followers. They'll see what a person like Hoft says, and take it as the GOP's general platform.

Granted, it's not like they didn't think that way already.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1091001955886002179

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Sarah Sanders: God 'wanted Donald Trump to become president'

giphy.gif

[SUB]unrelated: 'in bruges' is a great movie[/SUB]

God called Nebuchadnezzar His servant.

Daniel 4:17 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
    This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well, yeah, but.....

Romans 13:1

Every leader everywhere is in the position to accomplish God's will in some way, shape or form, but this is not to say that along the way they don't exercise free will to do some pretty terrible things.

The interplay of sovereignty and free will, good for theological pondering, not great for political discourse.

To say "I am God's choice!" is hubris, to say that God has no part in the affairs of men is equally arrogant.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The artist didn't have the ca hones to depict the phoney Israelites.

That would have set off Chip.

Top Bottom