• Status
    Not open for further replies.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    "Are you kidding me? DUI's get thrown out EVERY DAY on the smallest technicality. There is a billion dollar industry from defending DUI cases. I used to work on my off-hours doing DUI OT and have been in court with some of the best DUI attorneys in the country. You got the money, you WILL get off." - Denny347

DUI's getting thrown out due to the actions of an attorney whose job it is to find fault with the evidence is one thing, but the evidence against Bisard is inadmissable due to the (questionably intentional) actions of a fellow officer - HUGE DIFFERENCE! This has got cover-up written all over it. You can disagree with me all you want, but this thing stinks to high heaven and with the union defending him on top of it, given the perceived cover-up, just adds another layer of disgust. Given the level of disgust throughout the state regarding this matter, apparently I'm not the only one that feels this way.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Guilty until proven guilty. :patriot:

The thing that is somewhat different in this case is that there was evidence of his guilt, which was tainted by police action. He had the blood test, which proved that he was intoxicated. However, the police had the blood drawn at a non-approved location, and then the blood sample was kept in some officer's pocket for some period of time.

He could be found not-guilty on a technicality. And that technicality was caused by the same people who are paying his legal fees.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Guilty until proven innocent I see.

Is not having every defense part of the Justice system? What does having a FOP lawyer do to make the charges any less?

At least afford the guy the rights that everyone else is afforded.

I'm all for that. I just somehow doubt that if I was drunk on the job, speeding to get to somewhere I didn't have to go, while texting someone about mustard stains on my clothes, that my fellow employees would manage to eliminate the most damning evidence against me, and then pay for my legal fees.

So, let's recap: he's a government employee, who was investigated by government employees who managed to botch the investigation; he will be prosecuted by a government employee; defended by what amounts to a government employee; and judged by another government employee.

Sounds fair.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    So, let's recap: he's a government employee, who was investigated by government employees who managed to botch the investigation; he will be prosecuted by a government employee; defended by what amounts to a government employee; and judged by another government employee.

Sounds fair.
    He won't be defended by a government employee. The FOP, which is not a government agency, is paying his legal fees. Do you think that with the FOP footing the bill they will opt for a public defender? I don't think so. Also, I don't know much about the justice system, but I've seen enough Law and Order to think that a judge issuing a ruling isn't going to happen here. I'm sure there would be a jury, right? :patriot: It's good when some of the safeguards thought up so long ago still work as intended.

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    DUI's getting thrown out due to the actions of an attorney whose job it is to find fault with the evidence is one thing, but the evidence against Bisard is inadmissable due to the (questionably intentional) actions of a fellow officer - HUGE DIFFERENCE! This has got cover-up written all over it. You can disagree with me all you want, but this thing stinks to high heaven and with the union defending him on top of it, given the perceived cover-up, just adds another layer of disgust. Given the level of disgust throughout the state regarding this matter, apparently I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Apparently, the FBI didn't find any evidence of a cover-up. Maybe you know something that they don't? Or are they involved in the cover-up, along with the firefighters, medical staff and witnesses who interacted with Bisard on the day in question? :rolleyes:

Bisard's actions were reckless, and caused an unnecessary death. Responding to a low level warrant service with lights and sirens, while running high speeds on surface streets, was against policy and completely without due regard for motorists. I feel that he should be convicted for reckless homicide, given the information available regarding the incident.

But I don't think there was any intentional cover-up. I try not to look at things through a filter of seething hatred for anything government related, though, so I may be at odds who those who see a Nazi behind every tree.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    So!!
    Why bother with a trial?
    Since Everyone knows he's guilty, lets just toss his ass in jail for life.
    We shouldn't be bothered with the mess and cost of a trial now that Everyone knows he's guilty.
    Someday I want to meet this "Everyone" bastard.
    He seems to know all there is to know.

And you do? Are you 100% sure he did nothing wrong?

Did I strike a nerve?

That is the weakest "veiled" attempt to name call by the way.. now who's the real bastard?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Guilty until proven guilty. :patriot:

well that's the way a lot of the police treat us citizens. so why not get a taste of it too? treating us like criminals for the ruse of officer safety is some bull s***. i could seriously give a crack less if a cop feels in danger because he cant violate my rights. if you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. Denny, this isn't directed at you.

its no surprise the FOP is paying his legal fund. I just hope it bankrupts them. I feel sorry for the cops who have to pay FOP dues that didn't wanna support this deusch. more cops covering for dirty cops is all this is. we need to write and call the NEW prosecutor after January and get this jack ball charged with the DUI charge again. the prosecutor is an elected official so lets see how many terms he wants.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Just something to consider. I hope our lab is not in the same boat.
    Toxicology gaffes likely to affect cases | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Diefferent oceans. Serves one county. State serves an additional 91 counties. Marion Co lab was created to help avoid the logjam and processing in the glorious C.C.B.

Lab issues have been with chain of custody and human error not the tests themselves. "Science" encompasses a broad array when shoe horned in the legal context. When a chain of custody is broken it is often labeled "Bad Science". When it is really just dumarse people screwing up their jobs with no significant impact upon the data produced in testing. Its just dumbarse people cancelling out precise results with sloppy behavior. In a lab you could just toss it and run a new batch. Not so Indiana. This is why Indiana needs to move to confirmatory datamaster testing. Do it twice. Same with blood work.

Other State's do it why shouldn't we in the interest of Good Science? This is where the defensibility of DUIs comes in. Run one test in Indiana. Period. We should make 'em blow a second time after 20 minutes and then you have a statistical mean. Avoids all the ridiculous nitpick about deep lung air and light refraction and all the other voodoo lawyers get paid to pander on about.

Even a new Mercedes will sometimes go "click" when you turn the key. Don't know why but it does. Having the officer purge the machine prior to running a test is not more validating than verifying the tube is still hooked up.

Our whole State program is a joke. :twocents:

I just hope this Bisard case at least sheds some light on what fundamental changes need to be made for effective prosecution AND the effective defense of the accused.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Was he drunk? We don't know. Eyewitness reports say absolutely not. A botched blood draw says he was falling down drunk. Something isn't kosher, sure. In my heart, I tend to suspect the blood draw being faulty more than all of those folks lying. Cover-ups of this size are difficult because people just don't do a good job of coordinated deceit.

Was he responding to a call that was a non-emergency in an emergency manner (high rate of speed?) Reports indicate yes.

Was he potentially texting/email *while* engaging in emergency-response-mode when it wasn't an emergency? Reports indicate yes.

Did an innocent man die due to the errors in judgment by Bisard? Reports lead me to that conclusion. It certainly was no fault of the motorcyclist.

Was there something Bisard knew or felt about the non-emergency call that made him wary for the other officers and motivate him to react in an emergency manner? Maybe trial will tell us.

Should the FOP use their private funds to defend Bisard? I've got no dog in that fight (except maybe when they calll me and ask for donations.)

In my view, police officers put themselves in the situation that, in the course of doing their job, they are opened up for civil lawsuits.

My job? Even if I make a mistake or err in judgment, I'm unlikely to be sued. Heck, if I make a mistake today and the coach-to-quarterback encrypted systems go down for the game. Big trouble. Potentially effecting the financial well-being of cities and NFL franchises. Still, nobody dies. No one is hurt. I'm very unlikely to be sued.

Police officers - well, I would want to pay into a fund that defends me against every lawsuit filed against me during the course of me trying to do my job to the best of my ability.

If I shoot someone in self-defense, you can bet I'm still gonna get the best lawyer I can afford. I would probably think less of the FOP membership if they voted *not* to allow Bisard access to their legal aid fund.

In short - if he made an error in judgment (distracted by emailing and driving faster than warranted) that caused the death of an innocent man, then the city will pay. They should. Should Bisard pay for this? As much as any other citizen who made the same mistake while - say - rushing home due to something they perceived as an emergency. I've made mistakes - I'm fortunate that no one has died as a result.

Unfortunately for the IMPD, the details of this event just look bad. It could look, in passing, like they are protecting a drunk officer who mowed down an innocent, intentionally botched the investigation and are now paying to defend him from their private funds.

I'm just afraid the IMPD will continue to suffer from this impression - even if it is wrong.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Apparently, the FBI didn't find any evidence of a cover-up. Maybe you know something that they don't?

I know that:

1. Most people take more time ordering lunch than that FBI "investigation".

2. I know that the cell phones, text messages, e-mails of law enforcement, illegal radios of IMPD were not checked and not a single person was put in front of a grand jury.

FBI was a cut out, nothing more.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I know that:

1. Most people take more time ordering lunch than that FBI "investigation".

2. I know that the cell phones, text messages, e-mails of law enforcement, illegal radios of IMPD were not checked and not a single person was put in front of a grand jury.

FBI was a cut out, nothing more.
    They want a look at my personal e-mail, phone records, text msgs...better have a warrant. Dept does not issue those devices. They will need PC to get a warrant. They did go through all laptop msgs for everyone at the scene and looked at the messages sent/received for the entire day. They can look at dept e-mail...i'm sure they did. However, that is as much as they can do without a warrant...as you know.

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    They want a look at my personal e-mail, phone records, text msgs...better have a warrant. Dept does not issue those devices. They will need PC to get a warrant. They did go through all laptop msgs for everyone at the scene and looked at the messages sent/received for the entire day. They can look at dept e-mail...i'm sure they did. However, that is as much as they can do without a warrant...as you know.

Well, at least you'd think he'd know that. :):

But now that he has announced that the FBI investigation took less time than lunch, which would mean that the FBI is also corrupt or incompetent, at least we know whether his assertions are based on logic and deductive reasoning, or sheer emotion.

You know the old defense attorney rule regarding facts and the law, don't you? If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table.

I'm thinking Kirk's table has some pretty big dents in it.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    They want a look at my personal e-mail, phone records, text msgs...better have a warrant. Dept does not issue those devices.

then,,,they shouldnt be in the squad car...!!!! we need to know EVERYTHING theyre doing while theyre on our clock...

They will need PC to get a warrant.

i would think police would cooperate with police....without making other police get a warrant...

i would think that police would do everything they could to uphold the standards of the profession...

They did go through all laptop msgs for everyone at the scene and looked at the messages sent/received for the entire day. They can look at dept e-mail...i'm sure they did. However, that is as much as they can do without a warrant...as you know.

not if the police willingly cooperate...what are they hiding???

what do the cops always say to try to get you to consent to a search??? ---do you have something to hide???

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    @machete, would you let them go through your personal phone records, texts, and emails without a warrant?

They certainly have no qualms asking to search your car if you have a burnt out light bulb. You have nothing to hide right?

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    They certainly have no qualms asking to search your car if you have a burnt out light bulb. You have nothing to hide right?

No Sir, I do not want you to search my vehicle, and I am not hiding anything.

Like it or not, just because we are LEO does not mean we give up our rights.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    but thats not what i asked. the question is would you let them search your personal phone records,texts, an emails without a warrant?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom