• ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    My condolences,

Recently had to put down our cat, she was only 5 but had sever kidney failure, it was pretty devastating for my wife and I. And to make it worse the same day my parents had to put down my childhood dog, a black lab named Samson. He was 15. Worst thing I've ever had to do. No shame in those tears.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Four dogs. It was the hardest thing we have ever done as a family, but I would not trade the time we had with them for anything in the world.

My condolences......

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One of my alpacas came down with meningeal worm earlier this year. I would have had to have been aggressively treating her while I was in the hospital with heart failure to have saved her. Ivory was a real sweetheart. The veterinarian and staff put more work into dealing with me having a very emotional response than they had to put into putting her down.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Too many times. I'm a big baby when it comes to this, I'm not embarrassed to admit.

Take a few days, make up your mind, and go get another one. It helps.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    2015-05-31%2016.53.54.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Sorry for your loss Roadie. We had to do the same last year with Frank. I never cared for cats either until my wife brought that crusty orange stray kitten home and he ran straight to me, climbed up my back as I sat at the computer desk, and perched on my shoulder. :(

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Almost 18 yrs my Himy.
    Was MY cat and a perfect pet.
    Family was pretty jacked up, for about a week.
    I cried for 3 days.
    Buried her in the back yard, couldn't go out there for a week.
    Still bothers the ol lady and it's been 6 months.

Taking her to the vet, just down the street (vet and staff wonderful)............I won't do it again.
    Nice burial at home blah blah blah.

Next time have everybody leave, dig a hole and just shoot and shovel.

Did that to other pets in the past, not as attached to them. Worked fine.

Back to older methods.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO the vet deal made it a bigger production, actually tougher (for me anyway).
    Lot easier to just go bang and cover with dirt.

It all sucks.

Faster is better for me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have had dogs/cats and other critters, ever since childhood.
    Still have 2 cats.
    As they expire, they won't be replaced.

I was lucky to have the best ever.........still miss her.

Am not going to go through that ever again.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have put two down, held them both crying until they were dead. No offense to the 1yo cat but the 16yo dog hurt a lot more. Laid on the floor with him for a while.

sorry for your loss.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    One of the best days in a person's life: The day that you find a great new pet, or when the pet finds you
    One of the worst days in a person's life: The day that you lose that great pet
    I haven't had to put down a pet since I was a kid of about ten (one dog euthanized for blasto micosis), and for some strange reason the rest of our pets died unexpectedly (there weren't really an signs of illness) of natural causes.
    My most recent addition is a stray calico kitten who jumped out of a bush where I work third shift on June 1, 2014.
    She's quite a lot like your Loui, i.e. a cat with some dog-like loyalty...meets me at the door each morning, hops up on my lap to curl up and go to sleep, likes to sleep at my feet when I finally turn in, etc.
    She's a healthy cat, so it's possible we could have her for for another 18 years or so, but it will be a terrible day when that time comes.
    No shame grieving for a wonderful pet, bro.
    If you'll recall, there's a little speech Bill Murray makes in the movie Stripes meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but very much true:

We're mutts.
    But there's no animal that's more faithful...that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt.
    Who saw Old Yeller?
    Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end?
    Nobody cried when Old Yeller got shot? I'm sure.
    I cried my eyes out.
    Yeah.

drylkuch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2016
    West Lafayette
    When I was a kid our dog broke the chain that he was on, ran into the street, and got hit by a car. He barely survived the crash but was in really bad shape. Dad decided the best thing to do was get out the 22 and take him out of his misery. It wasn't a good day for anyone.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My old female Doberman was becoming very weak. I came home from work one evening and saw that she wasn't eating or drinking, decided I would take her to the vet the next day to end her suffering, but then she passed that night.
    Have a senior dog right now, and I know our time with him is getting short. Some days he seems old and frail, other days, he acts like a pup and can nearly pull me off my feet. I think he's getting a bit senile. We have other dogs that would like to move up in the pack, but there is one big, tough female that protects him. It's the cutest thing...I remember him showing her around when she was a small pup, they've always been buddies.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Been there brother. I just plain sucks. When you and your family are maybe ready, go to a shelter and find a new furry friend that will be waiting for you.

Sorry for your loss...

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    hope this helps.. with the passing of my dog 3 years ago and it still hurts... you have to think about all the good times and the memories you have with them. It sucks when they leave and the feeling stays quite awhile but try to think about the great times when the bad hit. I know this seems obvious but when your upset you dont always think normal. It takes time and you have that whether you like it or not. We all grieve in a different manor so dont expect an overnight change. It has been 3 years and it still bothers my wife and I. Not sure if this will work but watch it and hopefully it will make you laugh. Its our 2 springers (brothers).
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.schuller.14/videos/966742350213/

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Had to have our dog put down a few years ago. Got him from the shelter about 10 years before. Came home one day and he had had a stroke. Tongue hanging out, eyes bouncing all over, and couldn't stand. Not sure if I would have preferred that we had more time or not. Vet said no chance of recovery so the choice was easy. I cried like a baby.

Top Bottom