• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I should buy a nice/classic decent .22 pistol..........for when the time comes.
    Have used other stuff.

Colt Match target would be proper. Or maybe a High Standard of some sort.

Like my pets too much to just use a Ruger.

My old shepard/collie mix went bye bye via Colt (pops took him out).
    Learned some stuff back then....

Dig the hole first.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Tough Job. Had to put 2 pets to sleep. Our Vet does this No Charge to Customers, one of the Good Guys. I was appalled at what my In-laws paid for their Boxer to be Euthanized.

Same here. Our Vet is one of the Good Guys too. I cannot dispatch a family pet.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I had to put down our dog last Thursday. I am still hurting from this. My wife and I picked him out together. He was our first "baby" in a way because we treated him like a child from day one. He gave us the confidence to bring a human child into this world. He was 12 years old and recently had a stroke, we believe. His health and happiness declined rapidly in the last couple weeks and I couldn't stand to see him suffer anymore. It was one the hardest things I have ever had to do, but I feel if I am going to have animals its something I have to be able to. He is buried on the farm in the best place to watch the sunset.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I won't take another animal in to the vet to have it put down.
    One was enough.
    Previous I did the deed.
    Back to the old ways.
    My pet, my responsibility.
    Feel like I wussed out on having somebody else do it.
    Of course some folks might botch it, and make things worse.
    Having hunted and trapped, I can do it well.

The fam overruled on this last one.

Now with kids away at college, won't happen again.

The vet/staff were excellent. I just don't like the idea of a stranger involved.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    These are events I hate to hear about as they bring back painful memories.
    I take care of my own as it's personal to me.
    It's not easier by any means.
    I had 4 dogs I had to put down in 2 years. All were old.
    I had markers made and my pets have a permanent resting place.
    I swore to not get animals I would get attached to but that doesn't work.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Over the years, I have put down more pets than I want to count. Most of them have lived past their expected life span and they have always been considered a part of the family. My vet does an excellent job by putting them to sleep before giving them the shot. It doesn't make it any easier for me, but at least my pets were not panicked in any way and I am always with them until the very end. It's hard, but I owe them that much to help them in their time of need.

Dang it! Who started this thread? :(

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Last year we had to put down our cat Melana. We got her when we were married 3 months. She was the perfect cat for us. She was the best. We had her almost 14 years. Me and the misses still get upset when we talk about her or find something of hers. It's been over a year and it isn't any better.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    hope this helps.. with the passing of my dog 3 years ago and it still hurts... you have to think about all the good times and the memories you have with them. It sucks when they leave and the feeling stays quite awhile but try to think about the great times when the bad hit. I know this seems obvious but when your upset you dont always think normal. It takes time and you have that whether you like it or not. We all grieve in a different manor so dont expect an overnight change. It has been 3 years and it still bothers my wife and I. Not sure if this will work but watch it and hopefully it will make you laugh. Its our 2 springers (brothers).
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.schuller.14/videos/966742350213/

:rofl:

When we adopted Louie, the Foster said "he loves to be put on a harness and walked like a dog!" So, we tried it. It ended up like your dog, laying on the ground being drug along the floor lol

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I've had two dogs put to sleep and neither went according to text book. One didn't respond to anesthetic and I had to hold her head while vet administered the fatal shot. The other was unconscious but the vet couldn't get enough dosage into the vein to be fatal. After 3 shots it finally took a shot directly to the heart to end it. My current dog is 11 years old and given my track record I'm really dreading the final trip.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    Sorry for your loss Roadie, I had to put my beautiful yellow lab down a couple years ago after 13 great years. Poor thing could hardly walk and had lost all control of his bodily functions. Hardest decision I have ever made I cried like I had lost a child, vet ask if I wanted to be in the room, couldn't do it, took everything I had not to turn the truck around and go back and get him. Still miss him

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Did one myself and paid Vet for the other two....I will ALWAYS pay the Vet from here on out...I am not as tough as I thought I was..

Heart goes out to you brother....

My 12 year old got his first 8 pointer this year on youth weekend. Take a deer, groundhog, rogue varmint- no problem. As I get older, I cannot seem to dispatch a family pet. Something changes as I get older. And my man card is just fine.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Hang in there Roadie... We used to be 'no more pets'. Then one day I was coming home and saw a glance of something white pop its head up from the ditch. I kept going but something inside me said 'that looked like a kitten'... So I stopped, turned around and found these...
    InABasket.jpg Four Siamese kittens that someone dumped. (I hate dumpers).

We kept 2 and gave the silver tip and flame tip to ladies at the vet.

We should have a sign that reads 'beware of Siamese cats' on our front door. They'll growl when someone pulls into the driveway and are very protective.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks again everyone. This is what keeps me on INGO, a bunch of people that dont know each other, supporting other Members. You guys and gals rock

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Been there too sir. Like Hoosierdoc, I laid on the floor with my dog Ace for some time as he went. In the course of a week, he went from a healthy 3 year old golden retriever to not even being able to get in the car to go to the vet. This was probably 6-7 years ago and it still breaks my heart thinking about it. Another pet will never replace him, but it does help.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I often wonder why a dog only lives 20 years at the very most but a man lives 80 if he's lucky. Why cant we have the same dog all our lives? What is the purpose of loosing your very best friend several times in your life? They are better than wives but if you are lucky you get one wife compared to several dogs.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost my cat in January, after almost 19 years. I had her longer than I've had my wife. I used to joke about Miss Kitty being wife #1.

I didn't take her to have her put down though. She always hated going to the vet, and I was afraid the stress alone would kill her on the ride over. So I let her pass at home, in comfortable surroundings.

I miss her every day.

Top Bottom