• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Wow! Pride goeth before the fall. Good luck, Sir.

Don't need luck, I have confidence in my tools and my students.

Don't believe everything you see on TV. I have it on good authority that the scene in True Lies where Jamie Lee Curtis drops the Mac-10 down the stairs was staged.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    People calling themselves instructors who throw around loaded guns to prove a point, don't deserve the title. There are other ways to prove the point. Looks like there is good training and pseudo training that is just geared to prove who is mas macho. :noway:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    People calling themselves instructors who throw around loaded guns to prove a point, don't deserve the title. There are other ways to prove the point. Looks like there is good training and pseudo training that is just geared to prove who is mas macho. :noway:

So mike, in your expert opinion, what is the worst that could happen?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I think I almost dropped my XDM when I slipped and fell. It was the first time I've tried out the holster that came with the gun. It really is a nice holster unless you forget to tighten the screw to keep the gun inside. It was too loose and when I slipped and fell, the gun almost flew right out, but since I had a shirt cover it, the shirt caught it partly and held it in. I went home that day and tighten the screw and tried falling forward and backwards to see if the gun will come out. Hasn't happened anymore before I started wearing a Raven

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No safety rules are violated, no problem.

Who said "rules"? I just said "safety".
    Furthermore, if I am EVER in a "class" where the "instructor" flings a gun to the floor to prove a point about whatever...I'm up and leaving that second and demanding my money back.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

+1

Please don't feed the trolls.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Who said "rules"? I just said "safety".
    Furthermore, if I am EVER in a "class" where the "instructor" flings a gun to the floor to prove a point about whatever...I'm up and leaving that second and demanding my money back.

What is unsafe, in your opinion?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Murphy's Law - If something CAN go wrong, it will. Crap breaks, parts fail, yada yada yada.
    Stated in the simplest form I can think of... "**** Happens".

Tell me something... Just humor me for ONE question...
    Suppose that the next time you fling your gun to the ground to "teach a lesson", the unthinkable happens and it DOES discharge...and hits your student! What then??

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I guess my question is: What requirements have to be met before an individual can give training for pay in Indiana? Are there any particular qualifications other than having an ego as big as a house?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Ummm, yeah.
    You are taking away the only control of that device you have.

It only takes one "oh ****" to ruin a life.

Do your students think it's really cool?
    Do you think it's really cool.
    I hope I can be that cool someday, when do classes start?

tumblr_lwobb6bzHc1qfo50do1_250.jpg

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Ummm, yeah.
    You are taking away the only control of that device you have.

It only takes one "oh ****" to ruin a life.

Do your students think it's really cool?
    Do you think it's really cool.
    I hope I can be that cool someday, when do classes start?

tumblr_lwobb6bzHc1qfo50do1_250.jpg
    It's like saying "The purpose of a roll bar is to keep your head from smooshing during a rollover accident" and then intentionally flipping a vehicle during a driving lesson just to prove it.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    My most embarrassing time dropping a gun was back in 2007 when I was taking in an armload of guns into a Chicago gun buyback location. One of the crappy old rusty guns got dropped and skittered across the sidewalk in some not-so-wonderful neighborhoods in Chicago.

I chuckled to myself that I just dropped a handgun out in public in one of the most anti-gun cities in the nation - with cops close by - and I wasn't in fear of arrest. And I wasn't worried about the finish on the gun either!

Yes, I've dropped other guns a time or two. It happens if you handle them enough and we caution students in our classes that if they ever lose control of their gun for whatever reason to just step back and do not try to catch it. Let it hit the ground. It won't hurt it.

John

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Murphy's Law - If something CAN go wrong, it will. Crap breaks, parts fail, yada yada yada.

Suppose that the next time you fling your gun to the ground to "teach a lesson", the unthinkable happens and it DOES discharge...and hits your student! What then??

And what about the people who wear body armor and purposely get shot to prove the safety of their product?

He's using a Glock. It's not going to fire unless the trigger is depressed.

I commend him for being smart enough to understand the safety features on his weapon. Most people don't.

It is literally insane to think that the gun will go off if dropped. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. If he drops it a thousand times, it will fall safely a thousand times.

I do this same test in my house. It isn't a safety issue.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012

First off, the students aren't infront of the muzzle and the gun is dropped horizontally on to the ground, so none of the universal safe gun handling rules are broken.

Your answer is, quite frankly, BS. If you have any idea how such a failure could happen, please tell me so i can get in contact with Glock. Simply saying "it could happen" belies the fact that it actually can not.

Shwaisey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I saw a guy drop a Taurus 6 inch out of a cheap shoulder holster when he leaned over.
    it landed with the barrel pointing straight up.

Good thing he wasn't carring with the hammer cocked back

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    As they should.
    They're machines. Machines are made of parts. Parts break.

Well, I disagree in the situation I was talking about. There is no reason to not carry a round under the hammer of a modern revolver and absolutely no reason to not carry one in the pipe on a modern SA. They don't need to be treated in the same way as a my old single action .44 or a revolver with the pin on the hammer.

Top Bottom