• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I don't know why, but I've been dropping guns and knives lately. Like Jetgal said, don't try to catch either.

last time it happened with a Wustoff knife while I was prepping tomatoes for canning. I guess I got complacent and knocked it off the cutting board - hit the floor point down and stuck for a half second.

I keep saying it's a matter of time before my luck runs out.

My brother dropped this and tried to catch it, after a nasty cut he learned not to try to catch knives.

images

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Saturday evening! Showing a friend how easy glocks are to take apart, my fingers slipped and the slide went straight to the concrete. The spring and the barrel removed themselves upon impact. Completely field stripped in less than a second!!! (very embarrassing). Didn't leave a mark on the Glock, just my pride!

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My G26 went down a flight of steps once. Luckily, at home, and (of course,) no discharge.

Sooner or later, it IS going to happen. We're all human, and therefore fallible. Our greasy mitts drop things all too often. Just a matter of reducing the chance that it will happen, and hoping that it happens in the safest manner possible.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Yes, it was. A Jennings (which is crap...but still "modern", having disconnects which were determined to have failed).

If you're carrying a Jennings, you have other problems. I think this might be the first reported case of one actually firing (actually, they are known to fire when dropped and occasionally go full auto) http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls 2.htm

I should say modern, quality firearm.

Last edited:

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Why do people think that a gun will go off if dropped?

Some guns will, and lots of folks aren't real knowledgeable about the differences so they treat all guns like they will.

I carry my .44 without one under the hammer because its an pre-transfer bar revolver and it may very well go off if its dropped and lands wrong.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    As they should.
    They're machines. Machines are made of parts. Parts break.

And even if all the various interlocking safeties in a gun like a glock simultaneously failed, there still wouldn't be enough energy in the striker to touch off a round. So, no, you don't have to treat all guns as if they aren't drop safe...just the ones that aren't drop safe, which you shouldn't be carrying anyway.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    And even if all the various interlocking safeties in a gun like a glock simultaneously failed, there still wouldn't be enough energy in the striker to touch off a round. So, no, you don't have to treat all guns as if they aren't drop safe...just the ones that aren't drop safe, which you shouldn't be carrying anyway.

Meh. Safety mindset is safety mindset, period.
    Why let yourself be lax?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yep, was "sitting on the throne" in a public restroom, stood up, pulled up my pants and my Bersa 380 flopped out of my cheapie IWB holster flat onto the tile floor... :n00b:

No discharged, no damage to the tile, or the gun.. Learned a valuable lesson though.. buy a GOOD holster..

Two words: Hammock method. :D

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Meh. Safety mindset is safety mindset, period.
    Why let yourself be lax?

No safety rules are violated, no problem. This is just an archaic taboo for people who own archaic weapons. Guns get dropped, it happens. That's why the good ones are designed to make firing impossible under such circumstances. As such, i have no problem dropping a loaded Glock in front of a classroom of students on a regular basis to illustrate the point. It's probably the least dangerous thing you can do with a modern, drop-safe handgun at a firing range.

Know your gun.

I firmly believe that every case of a drop-safe gun "going off" when dropped has nothing to do with parts breakage and everything to do with the person who pulled the trigger lying about it.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    No safety rules are violated, no problem. This is just an archaic taboo for people who own archaic weapons. Guns get dropped, it happens. That's why the good ones are designed to make firing impossible under such circumstances. As such, i have no problem dropping a loaded Glock in front of a classroom of students on a regular basis to illustrate the point. It's probably the least dangerous thing you can do with a modern, drop-safe handgun at a firing range.

Know your gun.

I firmly believe that every case of a drop-safe gun "going off" when dropped has nothing to do with parts breakage and everything to do with the person who pulled the trigger lying about it.

And, as I posted earlier in this thread, a friend of mine was nervous about carrying with a round chambered, so I chambered a round in my G19, and threw it down my basement stairs onto concrete. Guess what? It was fine. There are so many safety features on these guns. My Kel Tec PF9, too. The majority of modern handguns are drop safe.

I will not carry a handgun with external safeties, and will never carry any firearm unchambered.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Purposely throwing loaded guns around to prove some point? Doing so in a "training" environment where new shooters come to learn responsible gun handling? This, IMHO, is epic fail. Any instructor's first order of business is to keep everyone safe. No matter how knowledgeable you are about modern firearms this is irresponsible. So when one of your students goes home and shows a friend by throwing their not quite as modern handgun around and caps one of them I suppose you will blame the gun?

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Purposely throwing loaded guns around to prove some point? Doing so in a "training" environment where new shooters come to learn responsible gun handling? This, IMHO, is epic fail. Any instructor's first order of business is to keep everyone safe. No matter how knowledgeable you are about modern firearms this is irresponsible. So when one of your students goes home and shows a friend by throwing their not quite as modern handgun around and caps one of them I suppose you will blame the gun?

Given that it is done as part of an education on the importance of having drop safe handguns and not trying to catch a falling gun, I don't see the problem. Guns hit the deck in fights, and in training for them. We're not teaching first-steps pistol and students are on a dynamic, hot range for generally over 10 hours. Having that confidence in your weapon is paramount.

You can talk about it, or you can be about it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom