• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Since I'm not trying to change anybody else's mind, and they sure aren't about to change mine... I'll just say, thinking that a worst case scenario is indeed a POSSIBILITY (note that I did not say "probability") is NOT "BS" and is NOT "insane"... and I will leave you to your own end.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Years ago when I first started carrying I had a soft neoprene IWB holster. I went out to eat and was seated at a booth. I guess from the moving around the gun rode up. So when we were to leave I went to stand and the gun fell to the floor. Thankfully it was not crowded. And thankfully it didn't discharge.

Needless to say the holster went and I got a nicer one. Never had the problem again.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Since I'm not trying to change anybody else's mind, and they sure aren't about to change mine... I'll just say, thinking that a worst case scenario is indeed a POSSIBILITY (note that I did not say "probability") is NOT "BS" and is NOT "insane"... and I will leave you to your own end.

It's 100% imaginary. The worst case scenario is something on the gun breaks, in which case it is still incapable of firing by design. It's like saying that, worse case scenario, if I fill my car with the wrong grade oil, it will turn into a rocket ship and propel me into the sun. It's not going to happen. The worst case scenario is the worst thing that could possibly happen under the circumstances, not the worst thing you can possibly imagine.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Don't have any handgun drops (that I can remember) to tell about, but I do have three stories, in reverse order of when they happened.

A couple years ago we were at an awards banquet. One of our friends was getting up to leave when we heard a "thunk." He sheepishly retrieved his Glock from the floor where it had fallen out of his generic shoulder holster.

About 10 years ago, we were doing a single-ship helicopter gunnery exercise down at Camp Atterbury using an M60-D out of a Blackhawk. We had just finished a firing pass over the open range and were flying over some trees when the Crew Chief said, "Oops" When he went to stow the weapon in its clamp, the barrel release tripped and the barrel fell off into the woods. About eight of us searched for two hours for that barrel and couldn't find it. The PC came back the next day and searched for eight hours until he found it.

The last incident happened to me 'way back in the Dark Ages when I was on Active Duty and had the Arms Room Officer as my "extra duty". It's also the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this topic: I have dropped a weapon; it was an M2 .50 cal, and I dropped it on my foot - twice - getting it off a truck.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ...... As such, i have no problem dropping a loaded Glock in front of a classroom of students on a regular basis to illustrate the point..............

DUMB

And, as I posted earlier in this thread, a friend of mine was nervous about carrying with a round chambered, so I chambered a round in my G19, and threw it down my basement stairs onto concrete. Guess what? It was fine. .........

DUMBER

Don't need luck, I have confidence in my tools ..........

DUMBERER

...I have confidence in my students.

EPIC LEVEL OF STUPIDITY

:facepalm:

Last edited:

volsfandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Swayzee
    i nodded off one morning while in deer stand and woke up to the feeling of my 870 falling off my lap 20 feet to the ground. barrel stuck about 10 inches in the soft ground underneath me. luckily had cleaning kit in truck.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    It's 100% imaginary. The worst case scenario is something on the gun breaks, in which case it is still incapable of firing by design. It's like saying that, worse case scenario, if I fill my car with the wrong grade oil, it will turn into a rocket ship and propel me into the sun. It's not going to happen. The worst case scenario is the worst thing that could possibly happen under the circumstances, not the worst thing you can possibly imagine.

Dammit. I already repped you. That's absolutely brilliant, and correct.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    DUMB

DUMBER

DUMBERER

EPIC LEVEL OF STUPIDITY

:facepalm:

I'm having difficulty disputing the logic of this post.

Really now? I'm having trouble with the "logic." Nothing is ever going to happen, so how then, is it dumb?

If there was a remote chance that it could be dangerous, I wouldn't do it. The bottom line is, that it will not go off from being dropped. It is designed to do this.

I would be willing to drop my G19 off of a skyscraper with one in the pipe. Too bad there's nowhere I can go to the top of a skyscraper with a G19...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Really now? I'm having trouble with the "logic." Nothing is ever going to happen, so how then, is it dumb?

Risk is not a game....

Risk1.jpg

Ok, it is a game but that is not what I am referring to.

You are not immortal, you don't have extra lives Mario.
    You are not bullet proof, you do not have a magic force field around you.

"Nothing is ever going to happen." = "Hey hold my beer and y'all watch this!"

If your point is "It's a magic Glock, it will never happen."
    What happens when one of your students tries that trick while not carrying a magic Glock?
    That won't happen right?
    Emergency rooms around the world are full of people that didn't think anything would happen.
    Odd of winning the lottery are pretty astronomical right? Somebody seems to win it about every week anyhow.

You are teaching unsafe behavior. Teach a dog to run back and forth across the street for a treat, don't be shocked when that dog gets flattened by a passing dump truck.

You and the "instructor" are setting people up to fail. Just stop it.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    totally
    i pulled my loaded/chambered HK usp out of my bookbag and totally fumbled it
    smacked the ground real hard, bounced and pointed straight at me
    scared the crap out of me...but no bang bang
    now i trust the gun even more ;)

edit: oh yeah....page 12 ownage!

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    What happens when one of your students tries that trick while not carrying a magic Glock?
    That won't happen right?

I'm struggling to wrap my head around this. So, after educating them on how modern guns have drop safeties and will not go off when dropped, it is the example of doing so that will cause them to go home and try it with some antique revolver...after they've just learned what drop safeties are and how they work?

What if I didn't show the example and just told them that modern handguns are drop safe. Isn't there a possibility they would go home and try it to make sure I wasn't BSing them?

I guess the best bet is lying to them. Telling them that guns magically discharge when they hit the ground, just like they have seen in TV and film. Maybe i should program them with an innate fear of falling guns. That would certainly do more to keep them from dropping a gun intentionally, but i don't think it would help drive home my point that you shouldn't try to catch them when dropped accidentally.

So, internet experts, what do you think? How should i teach this?

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Happened to me once at the worst of times. My G19 came out of its speed holster unintendedly during a USPSA match. No ND and no damage except my pride. I spent the remainder of the match as a spectator.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I don't understand what benefit is conveyed to students by dropping loaded guns. The concept can be taught adequately without doing so, no matter how remote the risk. All the demonstration does is potentially breed complacency and carelessness.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I don't understand what benefit is conveyed to students by dropping loaded guns. The concept can be taught adequately without doing so, no matter how remote the risk. All the demonstration does is potentially breed complacency and carelessness.

This guy gets it. /\

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Guns get dropped all the time. Manufacturers know this and design safety into the gun. Very few modern guns will fire accidently from being dropped. Yeah its as scarry thing but after all they aren't built to live in a gun safe.

Top Bottom