• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Everyone has their own criteria in the risk/reward game. I personally, would think along the same lines as JG. Since I see no reward, I have a very hard time justifying the risk. Since it appears that is a reflection on my ability to engage an actual threat, I guess I will have to accept that.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Anyways, I'll let you get back to your publicly viewed, world wide web, private conversation with Ev...Esrice.

:patriot:
    LOL!! OK, that made me laugh - literally "out loud". :D

Here's a video JY made in response to the downrange photographer a few years ago, if you haven't seen it.

You know, I thought I'd seen that, but I must have only landed on an edited version because I don't remember anything being said without that map as a backdrop.
    I'll own up to him making some decent points with regard to car failures being destructive and unintended. However, I found the comments about driver skill level to be more in line with my thoughts about shooter skill level. How well can you really know someone's skill, method, or psyche in a few days? That being said, like I commented, he did have thoughtful points.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Same here.

Being the guy down range presents a huge "learning factor" as well. It incites the ACTUAL psychological and chemical responses (fight or flight) in your body, driven by your pre-existing fear of the danger and the fact that you understand it to be a REAL threat to your safety.

People often feel that this reaction is closely simulated by FOF, competitions, etc. IME, they are DISTINCTLY different reactions within your body. There's much more to it than simply adrenaline and increased heart rate. To which, I'm not a doctor or otherwise qualified to explain in great detail. I just know what I've felt through experience and completely believe that understanding how it actually feels is an incredibly beneficial factor for one seeking to prepare for a real life situation. If one doesn't know what it's like to have their life in danger, but only what it feels like to be dumping adrenaline and an increased heart rate, then they are not as well informed of their PERSONAL, physical response as they COULD be and SHOULD be IMO.

Marines undergo their first experience of shooting close by and past one another relatively early on in their infantry training. I'd bet early on enough in their weapons training that the majority of citizens and those here would NOT feel comfortable putting themselves on such a field of practice. Take from that what you will, but sometimes the best trust is earned by getting thrown into a situation without it.

I can certainly understand people's hesitation of allowing any random person shoot past them, especially if one has ANY experience on a public range. That however, is not reason to ignore the experience of the chemicals unexpectedly from someone you DO trust IMO. It's that "shock" of those different reactions which can make one hesitate or freeze in fear when they haven't felt the reaction before. That hesitation can cost you. :twocents:

I agree with the general direction of your comment, but there's still a HUGE difference between "I might be hit on accident" and "that guy is actively, seriously, no-**** trying to kill me".

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I agree with the general direction of your comment, but there's still a HUGE difference between "I might be hit on accident" and "that guy is actively, seriously, no-**** trying to kill me".
    Oh, indeed. I was merely pointing out that without ACTUALLY being in danger, nothing I've experienced has come close to replicating the response as having live rounds pass by me unexpectedly. Yes the heart rate spikes, and the adrenaline goes, but there's more to it in those instants which I can't really explain.

In fact the two times I had been jumped in my teens didn't even induce the same response within me. Even though it was a threat, my body apparently recognized it as not necessarily being life threatening at the time.:dunno: But it was certainly different.

I just believe in being AS prepared as possible and that should include at least SOME understanding of how your body PERSONALLY will respond when a threat presents itself in order to avoid that "shock."

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I disagree.

I agree with your disagreement in the sense that there is value in the exercise. I just find the risk/reward ratio off when it comes to first-time students. If I trusted the shooter I'd be more inclined to perform the exercise as the photographer.

For first-time students? I'd put their target next to their new truck.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I missed all these before...I think I was posting a reply at the same time you commented:

Roger that, so how many negligent discharges have you had?
    Not sure how to answer that. I've had scope crosshairs of an unfamiliar-to-me firearm on target while moving my finger from the side of the frame to the trigger and when barely brushing it BAM! Two OUNCE (gauged) trigger. Meant to be a bench rest match rifle...I wasn't ready for that, but I wasn't breaking a rule, in that my sights WERE on the target and I WAS intending to fire...just not that split second. So if that counts, then "One". If that does not count, then "None".

How many times have you send a round over the berm or 3 feet to the left or right of the target while you were focused on the target?
    Me? Not at all. However, I've been with someone test-firing a long gun that had taken a spill off a bench onto concrete and it did.

What are you doing to train to combat "Murphy"?
    What *should* I be? Is that even possible? Murphy is very Murphyish.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For me, I would rather do it as a FoF class with simunitions (sp?) first.

And then do a live fire shoot in an advanced class.

The whole idea of it makes me nervous, but I see the benefit of that particular scenario/technique.

I would have to work myself up to it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm heading to the range to tomorrow and could use some nice pics. Can I get a volunteer to help me out? I'll be shooting a 1911 and an AK74. I only need you to stay down range for about 10 minutes and I'll buy you lunch afterwards. I'll also provide the camera equipment.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm heading to the range to tomorrow and could use some nice pics. Can I get a volunteer to help me out? I'll be shooting a 1911 and an AK74. I only need you to stay down range for about 10 minutes and I'll buy you lunch afterwards. I'll also provide the camera equipment.

I can provide you with a long list of "volunteers". :):

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    "You" only need to stay down range for 10 minutes? :):

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

What would lunch be?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Top Bottom