• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I too have been looking into the AR 15 platform and I have succeeded in getting myself utterly confused. I could very esily spend a whole bunch of money before really understanding if I even like the things. I'm now planning on buying a Bushmaster as a starting point and going fro there. Does that seem like a reasonable plan of attack>
    Thanks

buy a colt le6920 from an internet dealer and have it shipped to a local FFL.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Don't rule out M&A Parts (mapartsinc.com) for a complete (i.e., everything but the lower receiver) kit. They're not nearly as backlogged as Del-Ton — and, a plus for us, M&A is based out of Illinois, which makes for fast delivery. (I ordered my kit online on Election Night, after the media had called the election, but before the acceptance speech. My kit arrived 36 hours later. :rockwoot:

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Don't rule out M&A Parts (mapartsinc.com) for a complete (i.e., everything but the lower receiver) kit. They're not nearly as backlogged as Del-Ton — and, a plus for us, M&A is based out of Illinois, which makes for fast delivery. (I ordered my kit online on Election Night, after the media had called the election, but before the acceptance speech. My kit arrived 36 hours later. :rockwoot:

Thanks for the tip on that company! They have good prices and use good parts. :yesway:

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am a little surprised nobody has mentioned STAG (CMT). Same as the M&P15 but less expensive. I would recommend it for a first time AR.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    The AR world is a bit odd, there are several big forums that all think certain guns, mods, parts are a must. They are all idiots. You said you want a starter gun, well does that mean that you want a gun to learn the platform on and then get something else nicer a little later? If so I would recomend buying the most beat up used DPMS or Olympic you can get your hands on, and then don't ever clean it. You will learn how to work on that stick.

Or were you thinking about grabbing something that will be a really nice base to upgrade later. Well then snag yourself a Stag, Bushy or a RRA cause those LPKs are nice and the lower will be the onlything left from that first gun.

Or were you thinking of something to get you into it, that is good quality, nothing fancy, but cool enough to see if it gets in your blood and maybe you will drop some dimes or slap something together later? If that is the case then get what ever.

M4 CHART

Now I'm an AR15 owner, now what? - Weapon Evolution: Emerging AR15 & Small Arms Technologies

Now keep this in mind, don't get hung up on what a gun does or doesn't have. It depends on what you are going to use it for, how many rounds you plan on putting down range, and what you think looks cool (because that is what buying stuff is all about). "the chart" is based on "off the shelf" guns. You can get stuff changed up if you want, and then there are places like Delton, MA, BCM, that do kits how you want them. Remember AR's are the Honda Civics of the gun world; They are cheap to get into, expensive to make bad ***, fairly reliable, and a lot of * own them.

One last word of advice, people on the internet are either stupid or are just making it up. DO NOT EVER listen to any of them. The worst are people who post on blogs, but almost as bad are the guys who have nothing better to do than read forums. I mean look at me, I am an inflamitory gas bag. I wouldn't trust myself to shave my own neck if I didn't have to.

Last edited by a moderator:

js_silveradoss

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Ya can't go wrong with the Colt LE6920!:rockwoot: I just got 1 a month ago and love it! :ar15:Yea, its a little higher than the price you were looking for but, They are very reasonable now 1200 to 1400 range.
    misc2040.jpg

TODD1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    CGROVE SSIDE
    They say you get what you pay for. I bought a Smith & Wesson M & P 15 and have not had one issue with it other than not being able to shoot it enough. It is very accurate and is a 5.56mm or .223
    I gave a tad more than $1000
    no regrets
    :twocents:

Top Bottom