Emptying your chamber--how do YOU do it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I hold my weapon with the ejection port facing down. I manipulate the slide with my left hand, cuping the ejection port to catch the round. I lock the slide back with my right thumb. Then I use the procedure I learned while in the service, to make sure it's safe and clear. I push the weapon out, I see light through the barrel. That lets me know the chamber is empty. I then bring the weapon to my chest, to make sure the mag has been droped. I do that 2-3 times.

Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Release the magizine. Rack slide 3-4 times. Pick the round up off the floor.

This is easiest and simplist way to avoid a NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE.

If you dont want to pick the round up off the floor hold it over a counter or a bed in your home. If you are not unloading at home then that brings up a totally different question.....Why are you unloading in a potentially unknown / unfriendly environment?

All of this crap about holding your pinky in the mag well, cupping your hand, hold it ganster style, etc. is all crap.

Pick the darn thing up off the ground. Negligent discharges are not funny and they are definitely not accidental. Jacking around and trying to make $hit fancy gets people shot.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

If you dont want to pick the round up off the floor hold it over a counter or a bed in your home. If you are not unloading at home then that brings up a totally different question.....Why are you unloading in a potentially unknown / unfriendly environment?

All of this crap about holding your pinky in the mag well, cupping your hand, hold it ganster style, etc. is all crap.

Pick the darn thing up off the ground. Negligent discharges are not funny and they are definitely not accidental. Jacking around and trying to make fancy gets people shot.

:rolleyes:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

Pick the darn thing up off the ground. Negligent discharges are not funny and they are definitely not accidental. Jacking around and trying to make fancy gets people shot.

I thought negligent discharges happen when you pull the trigger when you shouldn't. :dunno:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Alright, I got tired of reading the responses. But to the OP

You have to take Jack Ryan with a grain of salt. He tends to be very short and to the point, and he isn't afraid to say what is on his mind. I used to have a great distaste for his posts, so much so that he was once on my ignore list. But once you get used to his style, he just seems like a grumpy old man that is having a bad day. And you just learn to jump over those posts when they happen.

Regarding unloading, this is my process:
    1) Point in a safe direction
    2) Remove magazine and stow somewhere
    3) With gun in right hand, turn your shoulders parallel to the gun's slide.
    4) Now with your thumb and forefinger pinch the slide just to the rear of the ejection port.
    5) Lightly cup your palm and remaining 3 fingers over the ejection port. Do NOT obstruct the port, keep them an inch or so away, just to make a small cup to catch the round.
    6) Rotate the gun 90-120 degrees away from your body (clockwise from a view behind the gun).
    7) Now, slowly, move the slide backwards, and you'll feel the round just fall right into your waiting hand. As cautioned earlier, jerking the slide back may cause a discharge, but a slow, smooth movement should not.

Notes: This is a slightly awkward position, so always remember to keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.

Another way you could do this is:
    1) After removing magazine... Grip the firearm upside down in whatever hand is more comfortable.
    2) With index finger and thumb of other hand, pinch slide just forward of ejection port so that the palm of your hand is positioned under the ejection port.
    3) Slowly slide the grip forward until the round falls into your hand.

Same notes and cautions as above.

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    i'm sorry but i have to disagree with glock21 on ejecting the shell if you let the slide go after jerking the slide back the shell could get lodged in the ejection port and possibly discharge. i always pull the slide back hard make sure the shell ejects onto a soft surface (grass , bed, carpet etc.) then let the slide go back into position still holding onto it with my left hand allowing it to go back into position somewhat softly

Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Drop the mag. Rack slide to eject round from chamber. Rack slide 2-3 more times. Lock slide back and make sure there are no rounds in the chamber. LOOK AND FEEL for a round.

ALWAYS feel for a round. At night you may not be able to see one stuck in the chanber.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    i'm sorry but i have to disagree with glock21 on ejecting the shell if you let the slide go after jerking the slide back the shell could get lodged in the ejection port and possibly discharge. i always pull the slide back hard make sure the shell ejects onto a soft surface (grass , bed, carpet etc.) then let the slide go back into position still holding onto it with my left hand allowing it to go back into position somewhat softly

Do you let it go forward softly when attempting to chamber a round?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think that is a moot point. The act of chambering a round, and dropping the slide on an empty chamber are entirely different. Often, many people advocate NOT dropping the slide on an empty chamber because without the action of chambering a round to slow and cushion the slide impact, parts can be prematurely worn or damaged.

IMHO

OVERTHEHILLGUY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NEAR GREENWOOD, INDI
    Simple answer , 1. remove magazine. 2. point the firearm in a safe direction. 3. grasp slide by its serrations. 4. sharply pull slide to the rear. 5. Let the cartridge fall were it may. 5. bend down , pick-up said cartridge. 6.Look into firearm check chamber. 7. result, empty safe firearm and best of all no one hurt. BUT REMEMBER ....ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED. OVERTHEHILLGUY

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

At very least, it is bad advice for those of us who carry a 1911. All kind of bad things can happen with the habit of letting the slide go on an empty chamber on a 1911. I cringe at the thought. It's never a good idea to beat up the extractor.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Simple answer , 1. remove magazine. 2. point the firearm in a safe direction. 3. grasp slide by its serrations. 4. sharply pull slide to the rear. 5. Let the cartridge fall were it may. 5. bend down , pick-up said cartridge. 6.Look into firearm check chamber. 7. result, empty safe firearm and best of all no one hurt. BUT REMEMBER ....ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED. OVERTHEHILLGUY

:twocents:

I would say that one should switch #s 5 and 6 so that the chamber is verified to be empty before you take any additional steps.

We really need 100 posts to discuss this? Maybe we should have a contest to see who can come up with the most controversial "new" question!

Buckaroo :popcorn:

Top Bottom