Emptying your chamber--how do YOU do it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I've never been fast enough to catch it right out of the air... I always let it fall to my feet and then kick it up (like a hacky sack) and THEN catch it.

it takes a little bit of practice. ive been trying to get it to where i can rack the round and catch it behind my back.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Wow. I've never received such a harsh response on these forums before from such an innocent topic.

You actually carry a gun in public...
    Yes I do. Do you?

...and have to ask this question...
    Nope. Don't have to ask anything. The way I do it works fine and is very safe, but not so elegant. When I am unloading I usually happen to be on my bed or in my car and so I keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, keep my hand away from the ejection port, and let the chambered round fall safely to the bed or car seat. I'd rather not have my hand over the ejection port because I like only racking my slide one way and that way should be safe no matter what the situation. I brought this question up because I thought there was a good chance that everyone does it a little different (which I am finding out is true) and it would be a good discussion due to the safety issues that would arise.

...from strangers...
    I (until your response) have found the people on these boards to be very enlightening, respectful, and helpful. I wouldn't call them "strangers." I certainly wouldn't seek the advice I seek on these boards from strangers.

...who don't even have clue what weapon you are talking about?...
    This was to be a discussion on unloading pistols in general. Do you unload different pistols different ways? I'm pretty sure any pistol should be treated the same way. Do you have an example of a pistol that you would unload completely differently than all others?

You can :rolleyes: all day at me if you like, but that does absolutely nothing to further this discussion. Nor is it helpful to anyone. I suppose the only thing it does is express your immaturity and lack of respect for others. If that's what you're trying to express, well, okay, but I would personally advise against telling others you are immature as it'll likely put a damper on your reputation.

...Another CTAG I suppose.
    Not sure what CTAG stands for. As far as the condescending tone, maybe you should look through the rest of this thread and see that, in fact, almost every response talking about their unload method is actually different and it appears there isn't a "right" way to do it. Congratulations, though, in your attempt to turn a thread on the topic of safe unloading procedure into a "hahaha stupid n00b! thread" You feel powerful now?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pics or vid of this or im going to have a haaaaaard time believeing. Hand used as a primer strike...c'mon maaaan.

It not only happens, it used to be common enough that anyone who shot USPSA matches regularly either saw or hear it happen at some point.

When the .40 was newish in USPSA competition (it's now "the" caliber for Limited Division), it was not uncommon for people to rack the slide of their guns vigorously to eject the live round, but with their hand covering the ejection port. Sometimes this would create a condition where the live round was unable to escape and in the process, the primer can in contact with the ejector itself.

We even have a name for it. It's called ".40 hand." It's possible with any gun and caliber. It's more like with certain gun/caliber combinations (1911 and similar like STI in .40, for instance) because of the geometies involved.

I was present when it happened to a guy in my squad a few years ago. I did not see it, but I heard it and saw the minor injuries incurred. I've been present at a matches where it happened to someone a few other times.

Regardless of your technique for unloading the chamber, it is a good idea to not cover the ejection port with your hand. One reason is to avoid potential injury. The other is because you want the round to eject.

Here is what I advocate:

1. Keep muzzle in safest possible direction and trigger finger outside of the trigger guard
    2. Drop magazine and stow it somewhere
    3. Grasp the slide in a manner of your choice, remembering to not cover the ejection port or to allow your hand to pass in front of the muzzle
    4. Pull the slide to the rear, allowing the round in the chamber to eject. If there is someone there to catch it, let them catch it. If not, let it fall.
    5. Rack the slide 2-3 more times; check visually and digitally to verify and empty chamber
    6. Holster or bag the gun
    7. Retrieve live round if necessary

A deviation from this is when you're in a competition with rules that explicity state how the "unload and show clear" process should be performed. In USPSA, you are instructed to unload and show clear. That means:

0. Keep muzzle pointed in safe direction; finger outside of the trigger guard
    1. Drop the magazine and leave it on the ground or catch it and stow it
    2. Pull slide to rear allowing round to eject; RO will sometimes catch it for you, otherwise let it fall
    3. Hold slide to rear so that both you and the RO can visually verify that the gun is clear

The you'll be instructed "If clear, hammer down; holster"

4. Keep muzzle pointed (aimed) at backstop
    5. Dry fire gun at backstop
    6. Holster unloaded gun
    7. Retrieve live round if necessary

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Pics or vid of this or im going to have a haaaaaard time believeing. Hand used as a primer strike...c'mon maaaan.

It is not the hand striking the primer causing the discharge; it is the ejector.

rhino's right about .40 hand, but back in the old days when dinosaurs stalked the earf and there were no polymer pistols we saw it a lot from 9mms, especially the old Smiths 59 series. The primer would strike the ejector and it would get real exciting.

Clint Smith has told me that he has seen this transpire on a 1911 five times, but just think how much of his life is around guns. I remember at LFI Mas Ayoob stated that this form of AD occured on Smiths but not so much on the Browing designed pistols.

zeb, just keep in mind that everytime you handle a gun, bad stuff can happen to you--the gun is a snake and it will bite you. If you keep this in mind and show the weapon respect, you won't have a problem.:)

Forget fancy, seek safe.:D

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    zeb, just keep in mind that everytime you handle a gun, bad stuff can happen to you--the gun is a snake and it will bite you. If you keep this in mind and show the weapon respect, you won't have a problem.:)

Forget fancy, seek safe.:D

Aye, that is what I've been seeking/doing, the safest possible way. I gotta say it still feels a little silly though when every time I empty the chamber I toss a round to the ground, but I know that it's the safest way so that's why I do it that way.

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    looks like you're getting a lot of hate from a simple question .
    on my glock 26 i turn it up side down and slide it back and the round falls in to my hand .
    looks weird but i've never had a round get stuck on the slide yet.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    So, any time I want to unload my pistol, I take out the magazine and then I get stuck. I'd like to be able to get the round out of the chamber with some sort of finesse, but what usually happens is I end up having to pick the round up off the ground.

How do YOU eject the round in the chamber?

EDIT: Perhaps I should rephrase this to say, no, I'm not an idiot, I don't eject my magazine and then stare at the gun like I'm baffled. I eject the magazine and then eject the chambered round to the ground/bed/seat and then rack the slide a couple more times to make sure it is clear. Just trying to get other peoples' opinions on ejecting that chambered round.

Thanks for bringing this up! I only know how my husband does it, so it's nice to see all of these different answers. And yes, I am new to carrying (month and a half), but I also know how to eject the round from the chamber, and it's nice to get more input. Thanks!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I drop the mag point in safe direction and rack the slide pick up live round i am careful as to where the chambered round falls though

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    interesting topic though as i have never really given much thought as to if there could be a better way. thats just how ive always done it

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Might be a bit more than you want to do but I made myself a clearing barrel. Took a five gallon plastic bucket and filled it with sand to about three inches of full. Then took the lid and cut a square notch in the lid. This lets me place my semi-auto on the lip resting on the outside of the trigger guard. Drop the mag and place it on my bench. Then rack the slide. Sometimes the round lands on the lid. Sometimes it does go to the floor but only from a height of two feet. Not convenient if you're not home but that's really the only place I load and unload so I just did it.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Depends on the gun. I am a lefty by force due to a previous injury that removed some of the dexterity in my right hand, specifically my thumb. I can't grip the slide as strongly as I can with my left.

With most of my guns, my routine is:

1. I remove the handgun from its holster with my left hand.

2. I eject the magazine with my left hand.

3. Pointing the gun in a safe direction, I change grips and grasp the gun with my right hand.

4. I then retract the slide quickly and sharply with my left hand, ejecting the unfired round out of the chamber.

5. The expelled round hits me between the eyes.

6. The expelled round falls to the floor.

7. I bend over to pick up the unfired round.

8. My cat sniffs my backside as I bend over to pick up the unfired round.

9. That's it.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Whatever is safe, simple, and easiest for you will work fine.
    I personally wouldn't recommend any stupid gun tricks.
    Cool Hollywood crap and reality are two different things.

Top Bottom