• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    After reading the thread about CC at work, I'm wondering if anybody has had discussions/confrontations or other problems with their employer since Indiana passed the law last year that "allows" us to keep our guns in our cars while at work.

Mine has a stingent policy about guns on their property. But since the law went into effect I haven't seen any memo where they've adjusted their position in order to comply.

What's everybody else hearing? Thanks.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I dont understand why your employer would be made aware of you having a weapon regardless of IN law!

Thats like telling the cops you have a gun, it isn't going to turn out well.

There is no reason to leave the weapon in plain sight as that is a good way to get it stolen.

Dont ask\dont tell

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I wouldn't ask your employer about their policy and the new laws unless your lookin for trouble. Besides that, the less people that know you carry the better. IMO

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    If you go about your business and kept it lock in vech. Then there is no reason for them to see that you have a gun in your vech.. kept things on the down low.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I haven't seen any memo where they've adjusted their position in order to comply.

And you probably won't. Their position hasn't adjusted one bit. Their enforcement is the only thing affected. IIRC it didn't address actual employer policy, only that they can't fire you for that particular violation. Which means 3 things: nothing has changed as far as company policy; they'll just use another reason to fire you; and opsec is just as important as ever.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! Don't get me wrong. I agree, I'm not sayin nothin to them. And I understand the law. As a little more background, I have had a discussion with a business owner that was apoplectic about the state forcing him to allow his employees to "bring their guns to work". So thats why I'm wondering if you've heard anything from your employer or heard of any incidents of people getting in trouble over it.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm perfectly ok with that mindset. Sometimes you can't openly support it because of corporate policy or whatnot, but at the very least you can try to not specifically LOOK for people violating it.

My work, its all forbidden unfortunately. Leary of keeping it in my car, because cars in our garage have had windows smashed in the past.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    The thing I love about my job is how we all carry and there is always a show and tell going on after someone gets a new weapon. Just today a guy was carrying his new SIG .380 Nice weapon didnt get much info on it as he showed it while I was passing by. Oh and I am NOT a LEO, I am a network engineer for the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

INGunGuy

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Don't ask, don't tell. If something happens and you "need" it there , I'm sure no one will care then.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Where I work, the decision was to keep it as quiet as possible, both because they believed that some people wouldn't even hear about the change in the law and because they just didn't want to deal with the inevitable questions.

As someone else pointed out, in Indiana, that law doesn't really matter much -- they'll just fire you for another reason. If the people who hold your job in their hands are anti-gun, you better maintain OPSEC.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Don't ask, don't tell. If something happens and you "need" it there , I'm sure no one will care then.

Used to be if you did something that wasn't according to policy, but you did it for the right reasons, all would be forgiven. Not that way anymore. All that PC and 0 tolerance BS has squelched many forms of risk taking here. And it's not as fun as it used to be!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Could anyone give me a location of this law? I would like to read it word for word, as Im curious about a couple things on it. Thanks!

-MColford

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    IC 34-28-7
    Chapter 7. Possession of Firearms and Ammunition in Locked Vehicles

IC 34-28-7-1
    Application
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies only to possession of a firearm or ammunition by an individual who may possess the firearm or ammunition legally. This chapter does not apply to the possession of a firearm, ammunition, or other device for which an individual must possess a valid federal firearms license issued under 18 U.S.C. 923 to possess the firearm, ammunition, or other device.
    As added by P.L.90-2010, SEC.7.

<A name=IC34-28-7-2>IC 34-28-7-2
    Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    (2) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;
    (D) a group home;
    (E) an emergency shelter care group home; or
    (F) a child care center;
    in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC 2-12-78, 465 IAC 2-13-77, or 470 IAC 3-4.7-19;
    (3) on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-41-1-21);
    (4) in violation of federal law;
    (5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));
    (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter;
    (7) at a person's residence; (8) on the property of a person that is:
    (A) subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards issued April 9, 2007; and
    (B) licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission under Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations;
    (9) on property owned by:
    (A) a public utility (as defined in IC 8-1-2-1) that generates and transmits electric power; or
    (B) a department of public utilities created under IC 8-1-11.1; or
    (10) in the employee's personal vehicle if the employee, including a contract employee, is a direct support professional who:
    (A) works directly with individuals with developmental disabilities to assist the individuals to become integrated into the individuals' community or least restrictive environment; and
    (B) uses the employee's personal vehicle while transporting an individual with developmental disabilities.
    As added by P.L.90-2010, SEC.7.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The owner of the company I work for is kind of an old hippy type dude, so I wouldn't expect him to be very supportive of us carrying. That being said, I carry every day all day there, and the only way they would know I did is if I had to defend myself, and if they wanna fire me over that, I'm good with it.

Top Bottom