• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    And you probably won't. Their position hasn't adjusted one bit. Their enforcement is the only thing affected. IIRC it didn't address actual employer policy, only that they can't fire you for that particular violation. Which means 3 things: nothing has changed as far as company policy; they'll just use another reason to fire you; and opsec is just as important as ever.

Which is why these silly laws that insert the government in between the employer employee relationship are useless at best, and harmful to the employee at worst.

kodiak68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I work for a company that was to keep it to yourself, however after the law passed they actually incorporated the new law into our employee handbook.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My employer has not changed their policies since this law was added to the books. They are currently in violation (may not ... adopt... a policy).

I haven't heard of this law being "tested" yet. I don't plan on being the first!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Simply DO NOT TELL THEM, when you keep it in your vehicle YOU are RESPONSIBLE for the firearm, even if it gets stolen.

I'd suggest getting a PROPER handgun lock box and place it in your vehicle.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Simply DO NOT TELL THEM, when you keep it in your vehicle YOU are RESPONSIBLE for the firearm, even if it gets stolen.

Hmmm.. It was my understanding that if the gun was forcibly taken from a locked vehicle, you had done your due diligence in securing it. I guess I should try to look that one up. Does anybody else know which interpretation is right?

Thank,s

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Hmmm.. It was my understanding that if the gun was forcibly taken from a locked vehicle, you had done your due diligence in securing it. I guess I should try to look that one up. Does anybody else know which interpretation is right?

Thank,s

While legal repercussions may or may not be the case, YOU will have to deal with knowing there is a gun on the streets if you didn't properly lock it up.

I would personally recommend carrying and leaving it in your vehicle, just SECURE it properly.

Just having it in your vehicle locked doesn't deem the firearm secure, putting it in a LOCKED container ( preferably TSA-approved ) is doing your part by making it harder for a BG to obtain a firearm from a simple smash and grab.

Just my humble opinion - I should have clarified that I have no legal basis here.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

Thank,s

What "due diligence" in securing it is required or necessary other than to make you feel better? :dunno:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    What "due diligence" in securing it is required or necessary other than to make you feel better? :dunno:

I don't think it's required to have it locked in another container but the vehicle must be locked for sure.

Albeit, why not do more to protect your investment and keep a firearm out of an idiots hands?

has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.

Enrolled Act, House Bill 1065

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    LOCKED container ( preferably TSA-approved )
    TSA-Approved? You do realize those TSA containers can be opened by ANY TSA employee that has the master key (or any master key floating around)? We have all seen the quality of TSA employees lately....

Just lock it up. A lock box is a good idea, but not required under any law I am aware of. If you took reasonable precautions, you cannot be held liable for misuse of anything stolen from you.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    IC 34-28-7

<A name=IC34-28-7-2>IC 34-28-7-2
    Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;

Sorry if this is a dumb question but i just want to make sure i am understanding correctly. If you are a teacher and have a LTCH you still can not have a firearm in your car at work correct?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but i just want to make sure i am understanding correctly. If you are a teacher and have a LTCH you still can not have a firearm in your car at work correct?

I think that "not withstanding...." part gets you since there are laws concerning guns and schools.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I think that "not withstanding...." part gets you since there are laws concerning guns and schools.

Notwithstanding = in spite of, without regard to or prevention by.

So, the law basically says, never mind about any other laws that may say something different, except subsection b of this one.

Subsection b states:

(b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I stand corrected. Guess I should have looked up the definition and I forgot about section b. Did you notice it said "no person shall adopt .....". I wonder if that applies to a company or some other "non-person":-)

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Did you notice it said "no person shall adopt .....". I wonder if that applies to a company or some other "non-person":-)

Reading these things always makes my head hurt. I want to add subsection C which does or does not prohibit a person from prohibiting a person who is or is not the employee of the prohibitor from stabbing whoever wrote subsection b in the eye.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    While legal repercussions may or may not be the case, YOU will have to deal with knowing there is a gun on the streets if you didn't properly lock it up.

Honestly, I wouldn't bat an eye or lose sleep over it. I'm no longer responsible for the firearm once it's illegally confiscated from my possession. I refuse to bear the burden of what is done with it if someone were to use it without my permission. Not. My. Problem.

I keep my stuff locked up because I don't want the heartache of losing something I really like and/or having to shell out the dough to replace it. I could give a rat's ass about anything else.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

IC 34-30-20-1
    Owner immunity for misuse of a firearm by a person who acquires the firearm by criminal act
    Sec. 1. A person is immune from civil liability based on an act or omission related to the use of a firearm or ammunition for a firearm by another person if the other person directly or indirectly obtained the firearm or ammunition for a firearm through the commission of the following:
    (1) Burglary (IC 35-43-2-1).
    (2) Robbery (IC 35-42-5-1).
    (3) Theft (IC 35-43-4-2).
    (4) Receiving stolen property (IC 35-43-4-2).
    (5) Criminal conversion (IC 35-43-4-3).

Honestly, I wouldn't bat an eye or lose sleep over it. I'm no longer responsible for the firearm once it's illegally confiscated from my possession. I refuse to bear the burden of what is done with it if someone were to use it without my permission. Not. My. Problem.

I keep my stuff locked up because I don't want the heartache of losing something I really like and/or having to shell out the dough to replace it. I could give a rat's ass about anything else.

Pretty much the same here.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    My employer doesn't have a handbook. They have a Code of Conduct that we are expected to sign off on every year. The only part that pertains to firearms simply states that "weapons" are not permitted on company property, including the parking lot and that the penalty is punishment "up to and including termination." Of course they don't define weapon so it could be anything they want to claim as a weapon. That being said, it's understood I don't carry it while I work, I leave it in my truck and I've never had any problem. I've never had any problem with my knife either and that DOES go in with me.

Top Bottom