• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I think he was referring to me...but like most of his posts he's just being an ******* without really posting any useful information. I am well aware of the differences between a generator and an alternator. My family has 3 or 4 generators as it as and thats why i am currently trying to figure out some uses for the multiple alternators we have laying around. Last time i checked this is a SHTF section and in a real SHTF scenario generators are going to be too loud to run and gasoline is going to run out eventually. So i am sorry for trying to come up with some creative ideas. Ill keep my questions to myself from now on. But thank you shibumiseeker for helping me out and posting some useful information for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think he was referring to me...but like most of his posts he's just being an ******* without really posting any useful information. I am well aware of the differences between a generator and an alternator. My family has 3 or 4 generators as it as and thats why i am currently trying to figure out some uses for the multiple alternators we have laying around. Last time i checked this is a SHTF section and in a real SHTF scenario generators are going to be too loud to run and gasoline is going to run out eventually. So i am sorry for trying to come up with some creative ideas. Ill keep my questions to myself from now on. But thank you shibumiseeker for helping me out and posting some useful information for me.

Tough up bucko...Most on here just want to help. Some get frustrated easily but have good info when they give it. A devils advocate approach sometimes sparks up the thought process. I know you are searching for alternatives to using a genny. Wish I had something to offer.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Actually I was not referring to you, but the group as a whole that are wanting to turn Alternators into power providers as a whole...
    So either grow thicker skin and quit being a Nancy-Boy about life, or just be quite while the grown-ups speak...

By the way you obviously and apparently have no clue WTF you are talking about. Both Alternators and Generators can be found in an Automotive application, granted Generators are a lot older technology. Here let me help educate yourself...

I have no problem with you wanting to do creative crap, matter of fact I like to encourage thought. Since you are of the spoon fed variety poster, at least right now anyway. In laymen terms, most Modern Alternators not only require a Minimum RPM (1500, but some are 2500) for them to produce Electricity, but also an exciter charge. A Generator just needs to be spun.

Alternator and Generator Theory

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good point on the exciter. Gramps gas driven alt. was externally regulated and he had adjusted the points in it to full on all the time charging. He had a harness that was attached most always unless he used it to start his tractor or combine.

CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Do you know about what it would cost for maintenance of wind turbines?

Also can anybody recommend a good resource to learn how to wire these alternative energy sources? Thanks.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    By the way you obviously and apparently have no clue WTF you are talking about. Both Alternators and Generators can be found in an Automotive application, granted Generators are a lot older technology. Here let me help educate yourself...

I have no problem with you wanting to do creative crap, matter of fact I like to encourage thought.

Alternator and Generator Theory

I have two vehicles and neither one of them has a generator??:dunno: They do both have alternators. That charge my 12v batteries, but I don't believe that they generate any power. I think they just maintain it. I have a generator that I use for power. 120/240v ac. This actually produces power. Real power. I don't think it is a matter of doing creative crap, I believe it is a matter of trying to get ideas of all kinds to help people on this board obtain their desired results. We can debate Generators vs. Alternators if you really want to. I don't believe it would be in your best interest, but you are a vehicle man...so maybe it is. Maybe you should get off of your high horse and speak the truth and not give some link that is from another vehicle guy who obviously knows nothing about AC/DC theroy and how electricity works and is made. Just saying:twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have two vehicles and neither one of them has a generator??:dunno: They do both have alternators. That charge my 12v batteries, but I don't believe that they generate any power. I think they just maintain it. I have a generator that I use for power. 120/240v ac. This actually produces power. Real power. I don't think it is a matter of doing creative crap, I believe it is a matter of trying to get ideas of all kinds to help people on this board obtain their desired results. We can debate Generators vs. Alternators if you really want to. I don't believe it would be in your best interest, but you are a vehicle man...so maybe it is. Maybe you should get off of your high horse and speak the truth and not give some link that is from another vehicle guy who obviously knows nothing about AC/DC theroy and how electricity works and is made. Just saying:twocents:

We can talk about this as much as you would like. We can debate Alternators and Generators as much or as little as you want as well. Hell, we can even talk about AC/DC Theory to your hearts content. I might even be able to talk at below or above your level as well, granted I am no longer an Electrician nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently either...

Would you prefer I use the term Dynamo or maybe Dynamo Generator, instead of Generator. Wait though, Generator is an accepted name for the Vehicular Charging Systems prior to the 1970's...

So how about I'll step off of my High Horse if you step off of yours as well...

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    OK, wife and I have been looking into wind generators for some time. We live on the flat "plains" of southern Boone County. We see an average of 15mph winds throughout the year (NOAA).

Anyone have experience with them?

The newest issue of Home Power Magazine has a story on turbines. I just got it in the mail so it may not be out at the stores yet.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This is a online system on the east side of the airport

Johnson Melloh

Huh. If I am reading their stuff correctly, their PV array (4.86kW) has generated about 7 megawatts to date while their wind array similarly sized (3 1.5kW turbines) has generated 1.8MW.

And they are on an *excellent* wind location. Which is in-line with my experience with other systems. PV arrays tend to be pretty close to their ratings now that the industry has standardized, while wind systems are usually overestimated since there is no standardization across the small scale industry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is a online system on the east side of the airport

Johnson Melloh

I used to work for J/M Mech. that system is massive and they are still having some issues with it. If you have a strong heart give them a call for some basic system pricing. If you have a weak heart.............do not call

Solar and wind is off the hook stupid expensive

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    XDdreams said:
    Have you looking into solar generators at all ?
    Yup they are pretty worthless.

Those things are nothing more than a mini-system that includes a PV collector, a battery and an inverter packed into a typically non-expandable package. Got something small you want to power for a short time and they are ok, but nobody is going to be able to power a house long term with anything like that. Oh it will power a computer or radios or similar devices, maybe even a microwave. But it won't keep them running. Most of those things will generate 1500 to 1800 watts at peak power, for only a modest time.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I had a place out of Bloomington come out and give me estimates for both a grid tied with battery bank and off grid solar systems.
    Stupid expensive is being nice. :): Almost 100 grand for a 2Kw array with a 72hr back up.

I could build one for less than half, but that takes time and I would need to do a lot more studying. As electricals go, I'm above many in knowledge, but far below what I think i would need to design and install a system on my own.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I had a place out of Bloomington come out and give me estimates for both a grid tied with battery bank and off grid solar systems.
    Stupid expensive is being nice. :): Almost 100 grand for a 2Kw array with a 72hr back up.

I could build one for less than half, but that takes time and I would need to do a lot more studying. As electricals go, I'm above many in knowledge, but far below what I think i would need to design and install a system on my own.

That $100k is an order of magnitude too high. A 2kW array itself will run about $3.5k installed, another $3k for the inverter system and controls and $3-4k for battery if you are going standalone. MAYBE $2k for a professional installation.

Top Bottom