• Status
    Not open for further replies.

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is going to sound totally counter to my usual posts, but....the private business is not negating rights, Constitutionally protected or otherwise (is there even an "otherwise"?) As was recently pointed out to me, no one is handcuffing you and dragging you into the store. Scutter and Spasmo drove 260 miles round trip to go there-by choice! and therein lies the problem: After all that driving, they were treated badly because of someone's ignorance. You have a right to protect the life God gave you. You have, IMHO and apparently, those of our Founders, a responsibility to protect yourself and those dear to you. If to do that you must shop elsewhere, then so be it. It sounds like this was a case of flunkie-fication, however, and not store policy. I may be willing to reverse my statement upthread in re: shopping there.

Agreed, they could choose elsewhere to shop, but I still think my point is valid. If they drove 260 miles and were turned a way because they were a gay couple or wearing islamic t-shirts and were turned away, their "rights" would have been violated, or so all the special interest groups would cry and the ACLU would being having a press conference today suing that specific store and maybe corporate. And it would be the same situation, they drove there by choice, and no one forced them to, but yet their rights will always be protected over gun owners.

I think we are on the same page though as far as looking at the situation, just that I get tired of how it is ok to discriminate against certain types of people while others are considered "protected", and in this case, I am thinking someone who chooses to exercise their right to carry. You won't see the ACLU getting involved with this, but I guarantee you if it was the example I painted above , yep, it would be all over the news.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Agreed, they could choose elsewhere to shop, but I still think my point is valid. If they drove 260 miles and were turned a way because they were a gay couple or wearing islamic t-shirts and were turned away, their "rights" would have been violated, or so all the special interest groups would cry and the ACLU would being having a press conference today suing that specific store and maybe corporate. And it would be the same situation, they drove there by choice, and no one forced them to, but yet their rights will always be protected over gun owners.

I think we are on the same page though as far as looking at the situation, just that I get tired of how it is ok to discriminate against certain types of people while others are considered "protected", and in this case, I am thinking someone who chooses to exercise their right to carry. You won't see the ACLU getting involved with this, but I guarantee you if it was the example I painted above , yep, it would be all over the news.

It would be claimed that their rights had been violated, yes. It would even possibly be charged that their rights had been violated. Your same stated issue, though, could as easily be taken over to a bar or for that matter, a church, that was frequented by ______(fill in your favorite ethnic group here) and it would still be valid, but the bottom line is that no one is forced to go anywhere. Scutter has it right in addressing this by calling for a boycott, provided that corporate does not address the situation appropriately.

Perhaps we need to get a Black, gay couple wearing Islamic t-shirts to go open-carry at Cabela's? :D

Blessings,
    Bill

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They have to be in wheel chairs too, and mentally challenged in some way. Why pull any punches? :)

Because the mentally challenged probably cannot obtain a LTCH...

And I really don't have anything to add, I just wanted to get at least one post in this thread.

-J-

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    And . . . your exposed gun is your shame. You MUST HIDE YOUR SHAME! HIDE IT!
    I was going to post something like this in response to all those who say, "there's no good reason to OC" and things like that. It's like they're ashamed to be seen with a gun for fear of someone asking about it, or looking frightened, judging them, or some hypothetical soccer mom calling them a gun clinger or throwing ketchup on their fur coat.

On Saturday, I had just received a new S&W hat from a friend, so I thought it'd be a good day to model it while I OC'd my 327PC around the yard and driveway while cleaning out the cars. My wife said, "let's take the kids on a walk" so we walked through the neighborhood. We stopped to talk to several neighbors, the first of which being a reserve officer of the SJCP and his wife. Next was a nice lady who let our kids pet the dog she was walking. We then passed 4-5 more neighbors who were doing yardwork, etc. outside their house, smiled and waved, and said hello. half a dozen kids were out, ages 8-14 or so. next we stopped and talked to another couple who were outside. We had never met them before, but we talked to them for about 15 minutes, and during that time, people stopped their cars 3 different times to say hello. On the way back, we stopped to let the kids pet another dog, who was there being walked by her owner, and we talked to the owner and another old lady there.

It's even worse when I OC in Target, Meijer, Best Buy, Chipotle, or wherever. Hundreds of people see me OCing, and not one of them cares.

aforementioned 327:
    170245_thumb.jpg

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.8%
    80   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No, they ask why I have a gun, AFTER asking if I'm a LEO.

You're fighting a losing battle with your argumentative posts. I don't wander the earth at all, especially like the guy in Kung Fu. Nor am I Wyatt Earp.

Are you 9 years old?

To educate you; I'll use this example. You took the safety course, right?

2 thugs come charging at you at full speed. But you had your back turned and notice them as they are about 10-15 yards away. You see them and adrenaline kicks in instantly. You have a split second to react.

Now, flip your shirt up, click your thumbbreak and unholster your weapon. Sorry sir, you're already dead.

Hmmmm. Or you are standing there with your shiny 9mm in plain view. The thugs DON'T come rushing at you, because they see the gun. They wait until your back is turned, then whack you over the head with a brick. They then casually remove your firearm, and then decide to pump half a clip in your back for giggles. The End.

I'd refute the rest of your post, but I couldn't stay awake long enough to read the rest of it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Scutter01,

You deserved better on all levels. Now they deserve your scorn and our lack of business.

Last edited:

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.8%
    80   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In what state could you get a carry permit at 17?Ever?Most states are 21 with a few being 18.If there is a 17 I have never heard of it.

In Indiana in the mid eighties, you could get your concealed carry permit at 17 or 18. I may have been 18 at the time, honestly I don't remember exactly, but I know I wasn't 21.... I got it as soon as i could, that's all I remember. :)

Not even sure if they called it LTCH then, I always thought is was CCP. I wasn't old enough to buy my pistol though, so my father bought me one as a gift. I don't know if that is still the case today though, they may have raised the age. Dunno.

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.8%
    80   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So now you are going to insult me because of what I carry?? So I shouldn't be allowed to be proud of my handgun if YOU don't like it? I shouldn't be able to buy a handgun until it is in my budget to pay $700 for something nicer? No, you are right, I shouldn't worry about protecting my family if all I can afford is a Bersa, how DARE I think otherwise.

You're protecting your family with a Bersa? From what, raccoons? :)

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Hmmmm. Or you are standing there with your shiny 9mm in plain view. The thugs DON'T come rushing at you, because they see the gun. They wait until your back is turned, then whack you over the head with a brick. They then casually remove your firearm, and then decide to pump half a clip in your back for giggles. The End.

I'd refute the rest of your post, but I couldn't stay awake long enough to read the rest of it.

Please provide a link to show one confirmed instance of where this has happened. You can provide hypotheticals all day, but it doesn't make them any more realistic.

Being averse to OC is fine, you are welcome to your opinion. If you want to provide scenarios, however, be prepared to substantiate your claim with facts.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    :+1:
    Thank your for your viewpoint on this.

I have been to the many OC events at Cabela's and I have successfully informed a Cabela's employee on what THEIR store policy is. I am a young guy and I can not be mistaken for a police officer. I will post the thread for you in a minute.

My decision to open carry has nothing to do with scaring the general public. Or even soccer moms.

As far as bad tactics I disagree. I'd rather have open access to my weapon. I don't need to sweep anything back, untuck anything, or even fumble with a shirt. There are 0 things that prevent me from unhostering and using my weapon. I do believe that there is a reason that most police open carry.

I choose to protect myself by EDUCATING soccer moms at walmart. They generally ask questions about the legality of carrying a handgun. They want to protect their children as well. They are also perfectly fine with me holding the door for them while they push the stroller out. Or the group of older ladies at the NWI OC event at Northwoods that I held the door for. All could see my pistol and smiled as they walked out the door. All 12 or so of them. This is not too much attention. This is too little. I would love to have a NATIONAL reality TV show that shows me grocery shopping, buying gas, spending time with friends, eating and going about my daily business and NO ONE GETS SHOT. This will show what 99% of guns do on a daily basis, well that and sit in safes.

The media portrays guns as the big evil thing that people should be afraid of. I show them, on a one by one basis, that they have no need to fear. I do not need to conceal my firearm. I am doing nothing wrong. A criminal that is going to rob you will not waltz into a store, gun holstered and eventually rob the place. He will conceal his weapon. (I am not saying that CC'ers are criminals.)

I would love to have you to one of our OC events. They are great here in the North West because it is a different dynamic here. We get THANKED at Northwoods for choosing their establishment for our event. The young guys get picked out by the employees at Cabela's to try to use thier agenda on individuals and end up walking away red faced because they don't know their own policies. :cool:

Link: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e/17440-open_carry_at_cabelas_in_hammond.html

WOW!!!!! I am truly impressed!!!!!!!

I had the chance to meet this YOUNG man over the weekend at the NWI group shoot, and make no mistake he is young. The words that have been typed here so just how much wiser and more concerned about others gunowners are then your average citizen.

Turn I was already glad to have met you now after the above statement I am proud to call you a friend I am amazed by the maturity in that statement, I will admit I often question the intent of the younger guys who OC. You sir have just converted me from CC to OC.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    So what hide your gun. Your permit is for conceiled carry. Don't let some ******* come between you and saving money shopping there. Cover your gun, problem solved.

Jason you are relatively new so I will give you a break... Indiana does NOT issue a Concealed Carry Permit they issue a License To Carry a Handgun or LTCH.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

I had the chance to meet this YOUNG man over the weekend at the NWI group shoot, and make no mistake he is young. The words that have been typed here so just how much wiser and more concerned about others gunowners are then your average citizen.

Turn I was already glad to have met you now after the above statement I am proud to call you a friend I am amazed by the maturity in that statement, I will admit I often question the intent of the younger guys who OC. You sir have just converted me from CC to OC.
    :welcome:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

A lot of credibility is lost as soon as you say "clip".

Anyway, to answer your scenario; my wife would shoot him while OC'ing also. He'd better have two bricks.

And I can't think of anything more comical off the top of my head than a criminal armed with a gun running at me with a brick :laugh:

Why not just shoot me vs. the brick, THEN shooting me?

Like jsgolfman said, provide some links here. Your scenarios are Hollywood. Here in the real world, my OC'ing would make you think twice; it's just that simple.

You might still commit your crime, but you'd be dumber than **** if you did after seeing someone OC. But my guess is (and the main reason I OC) is that you won't give it another thought; because you want an easy target and I'm not it.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

I have never SEEN a handgun that takes clips. Please post a pic. I have OC'd in Gary and nothing has happened. Again, please provide at least a story that this happened.

In Indiana in the mid eighties, you could get your concealed carry permit at 17 or 18. I may have been 18 at the time, honestly I don't remember exactly, but I know I wasn't 21.... I got it as soon as i could, that's all I remember. :)

Not even sure if they called it LTCH then, I always thought is was CCP. I wasn't old enough to buy my pistol though, so my father bought me one as a gift. I don't know if that is still the case today though, they may have raised the age. Dunno.

You only need to be 18. You have to be 21 to buy a pistol from an FFL. You can buy a pistol at 18 from an individual. As far as I know Indiana has NEVER had a CCP, always a LTCH.

And you are with an HK? From what? Ze Brits?

Thank you sir. And I am surprised a big biker dude can be articulate:rockwoot: Just kidding, you are a pretty good shot though. But I expected that from a big biker dude:D. I think you are one of two that read my post. Thanks.

And thanks to everyone and this thread teaching me how to multi quote.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac

Wow after reading all the post I was just going to ignore your uneducated flaming post and live my life, but after this I have to say you are a complete Jackass!!!

You have gone from thinking OCer are "KOOKS" to Judging another member by his/her choice of handgun.

Have you ever been shot??? Do you have ant real life experience??

I was 18 when some banger on the southside of Chitcago wanted my Harley more then I did I guess. I am a big guy but I was unarmed because the Commie state of Illinois does not allow carry of any kind. I was sitting at the light when 2 of them got out of their car one held a small pistol at me while the other told me to get off the bike. I am pretty sure it was a 22 or 25 from the looks of the barrel but I really didn't want to find out.
    Any gun is better then no gun!!!!

A man who is trying to protect his family should not be critized by his choice of weapon, and by you doing just that you have reaffirmed my opinion of you!!

MODS***** Please do not delete or edit this post if I have to take a suspension for this I will.. To judge another man for his choice of weapon used to protect his family officially makes this poster a Jackass. Not every member here can afford a Glock or XD and should'nt have to be called out on his choice of firearm.****

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom