• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm sorry, but I think you've created a false dichotomy here. Your assumption is that a choice not to carry in order to participate in an activity/event where carrying might become an issue disqualifies one for "TRUE BELIEVER" status.

Furthermore, I think you mischaracterize the factors that many may consider when making a choice to go out without it. Just because one chooses to go out without his EDC doesn't mean he considers carrying unnecessary. It's simply a matter of cost-benefit analysis.

And to illustrate the ridiculous notion that you can define "TRUE BELIEVER," I submit this alternative definition: You aren't a TRUE BELIEVER if you aren't carrying your EDC 100% of the time, regardless of location, regardless of event, regardless of the law. Because a TRUE BELIEVER wouldn't let some silly man-made law get in the way of exercising his God-given right.

I hate to be argumentative, but this kind of stuff bothers me. Sure, it's one thing to be curious about how often other people carry, what factors influence their decisions not to, etc. But this has gone a step farther and assigned value to those choices based on one individual's opinion. If you carry this way, you're good to go. If you carry that way, you're not part of the club. (Why does this dichotomy seem so familiar?) Can we not just be happy that someone chooses to carry? Who cares how he does it, when he does, or where he does it? Do we have to put a threshold of acceptability on it?

It isn't a religion for me. The only thing I "believe" is that I carry when I want to. There is nothing about me carrying that has anything to do with anyone else's feelings on it. When I don't like the law, I vote in a way that I hope will ultimately change it. Until then, I work within it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carry consistently and constantly when I'm out of the house, and usually when I'm in my house. The only exception is when it would be illegal to do so or when I'm in water (despite all the videos of Glocks firing under water I still prefer not to submerge mine).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, just to play devil's advocate here.. :cool:

Not getting kicked out of college is more important than your life?

Of course not, but you're not exactly looking at even odds here. Riding a motorcycle isn't more important to me than my life, and people get killed riding motorcycles, but I still ride. The chance of me getting killed on my bike is low enough that I'm willing to accept the risk, and I would hazard a guess that more people die on motorcycles than campus shootings in Indiana each year...

He's done his own mental calculus, decided the risk of wasting his tuition money and not finishing his degree vs the risk of getting killed because he was unarmed and decided to not carry.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    98.765% of the time. Work place prohibits carrying but, it's just outside in the vehicle. I carried during vacation as well. 6 southern states in all. South Carolina was the only exception. If I'm wearing pants... I'm armed.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    About the only time I haven't carried in the last twenty years is to the Court House to vote early and I'm not even sure the local county government has restricted carry there. I have heard some have not. !

This is not accurate. DO NOT CARRY in any Gov't building that holds a courthouse. That is one of the key points of the new law. Local gov't buildings are perfectly legal to carry in, unless they have a room inside that's used as a courtroom. Then it's a felony, just like a school.

Also, I am reasonably sure that any gov't building that has jail cells are illegal as well.

There are some minor exceptions to how you can carry in some places; Brownsburg's new ordinance states that you can carry at public meetings, such as the town council meetings, but you must CC while there.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    This is not accurate. DO NOT CARRY in any Gov't building that holds a courthouse. That is one of the key points of the new law. Local gov't buildings are perfectly legal to carry in, unless they have a room inside that's used as a courtroom. Then it's a felony, just like a school...

:dunno:

Please cite the code to support this as well as the associated penalty.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    There are some minor exceptions to how you can carry in some places; Brownsburg's new ordinance states that you can carry at public meetings, such as the town council meetings, but you must CC while there.

If that is their town ordinance, they are in violation of state law... local political subdivisions may not over-rule state law.... since the state of Indiana is silent on method of carry, Brownsburg cannot enforce a method of carry, at least that is my understanding of the law.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    :dunno:

Please cite the code to support this as well as the associated penalty.

If that is their town ordinance, they are in violation of state law... local political subdivisions may not over-rule state law.... since the state of Indiana is silent on method of carry, Brownsburg cannot enforce a method of carry, at least that is my understanding of the law.

Actually, I am correct on both counts, but I have not found the associated penalty yet:

IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Not prohibited by chapter
    Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:
    (1) A law enforcement agency of a political subdivision from enacting and enforcing regulations pertaining to firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories issued to or used by law enforcement officers in the course of their official duties.
    (2) Subject to IC 34-28-7-2, an employer from regulating or prohibiting the employees of the employer from carrying firearms and ammunition in the course of the employee's official duties.
    (3) A court or administrative law judge from hearing and
    resolving any case or controversy or issuing any opinion or order on a matter within the jurisdiction of the court or judge.
    (4) The enactment or enforcement of generally applicable zoning or business ordinances that apply to firearms businesses to the same degree as other similar businesses. However, a provision of an ordinance that is designed or enforced to effectively restrict or prohibit the sale, purchase, transfer, manufacture, or display of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories that is otherwise lawful under the laws of this state is void. A unit (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23) may not use the unit's planning and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within a prescribed distance of any other type of commercial property or of school property or other educational property.
    (5) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in any building that contains the courtroom of a circuit, superior, city, town, or small claims court. However, if a portion of the building is occupied by a residential tenant or private business, any provision restricting or prohibiting the possession of a firearm does not apply to the portion of the building that is occupied by the residential tenant or private business, or to common areas of the building used by a residential tenant or private business.
    (6) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the intentional display of a firearm at a public meeting.
    (7) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a public hospital corporation that contains a secure correctional health unit that is staffed by a law enforcement officer twenty-four (24) hours a day.
    (8) The imposition of any restriction or condition placed on a person participating in:
    (A) a community corrections program (
    IC 11-12-1);
    (B) a forensic diversion program (<a name="IC11-12-3.7">IC 11-12-3.7); or
    (C) a pretrial diversion program (<a name="IC33-39-1">IC 33-39-1).
    (9) The enforcement or prosecution of the offense of criminal recklessness (<a name="IC35-42-2-2">IC 35-42-2-2) involving the use of a firearm.
    (10) For an event occurring on property leased from a political subdivision or municipal corporation by the promoter or organizer of the event:
    (A) the establishment, by the promoter or organizer, at the promoter's or organizer's own discretion, of rules of conduct or admission upon which attendance at or participation in the event is conditioned; or
    (B) the implementation or enforcement of the rules of conduct or admission described in clause (A) by a political subdivision or municipal corporation in connection with the event.
    (11) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting

or restricting the possession of a firearm in a hospital established and operated under IC 16-22-2 or IC 16-23.
    (12) A unit from using the unit's planning and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school by a person having a business that did not sell firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school before April 1, 1994.
    (13) A unit (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23) from enacting or enforcing a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a building owned or administered by the unit if:
    (A) metal detection devices are located at each public entrance to the building;
    (B) each public entrance to the building is staffed by at least one (1) law enforcement officer:
    (i) who has been adequately trained to conduct inspections of persons entering the building by use of metal detection devices and proper physical pat down searches; and
    (ii) when the building is open to the public; and
    (C) each:
    (i) individual who enters the building through the public entrance when the building is open to the public; and
    (ii) bag, package, and other container carried by the individual;
    is inspected by a law enforcement officer described in clause (B).
    However, except as provided in subdivision (5) concerning a building that contains a courtroom, a unit may not prohibit or restrict the possession of a handgun under this subdivision in a building owned or administered by the unit if the person who possesses the handgun has been issued a valid license to carry the handgun under IC 35-47-2.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.6-2012, SEC.232.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    What I don't understand is that last sentance:
    However, except as provided in subdivision (5) concerning a building that
    contains a courtroom, a unit may not prohibit or restrict the possession of a
    handgun under this subdivision in a building owned or administered by the unit
    if the person who possesses the handgun has been issued a valid license to carry
    the handgun under IC 35-47-2.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4. Amended by
    P.L.6-2012, SEC.232.

That sentence and 'subdivision (5)' seem to conflict with each other?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I only carry about 30% of the time. I'm currently a college student, and while its completely legal for me to carry on campus, I will be immediately expelled if they catch me with it (including in my car). And even if I'm just going to the store, I would normally carry, but if I'm planning on going back to campus I can't. In a year from now when I graduate, I'll start carrying much more often.

Leave it your car and keep quiet about it. My campus has a no weapons policy and I used to leave mine locked up in the car. I'm not sacrificing my safety for anyone ( except where illegal to carry, by that's a given )

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Actually, I am correct on both counts, but I have not found the associated penalty yet:

IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Not prohibited by chapter
    Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:
    (5) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in any building that contains the courtroom of a circuit, superior, city, town, or small claims court.

Sorry, but nothing in what you cited makes it illegal to carry in a building with a courthouse, let alone defining it as a felony as found in the school property prohibition.

They provided an exception which allows for a unit to prohibit or restrict carry in courthouses, but not all units have opted to enact such local ordinances.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I carry everywhere I can legally carry and in every state that recognizes my UT & In license. I mostly CC but will OC on occasion.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm a 1%er in that I carry a piece all but MAYBE less than 1% a year....I carry everywhere, which may or may not include places I don't think I'll get caught which you may interpret to be "not legal"...for instance, I may or may not have carried at the last Colts game i went to here in Indy. Although I am a lucky one in regards to the school thing. My kids school allows me to carry in the school and at any function they have.

This

911c45c8b8b78a05dfbb8c76b1415f52.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My practice is simple. I don't break the law.

This.

I don't carry at work either. I'm not even supposed to have it in my car, but I'm not breaking any laws having it there...The day they ask to search my car is the day I quit anyway.

If I'm in my comfy clothes and just need to make a quick run into a store, I'll just lock it in my car. I'm not changing clothes to carry if I need a gallon of milk.

Big J

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Evansville
    I can not carry at work. I usually carry everywhere else the law will allow though. There is the quick trip to the convient store in and out I am to lazy to open the safe. I am probably about 95% when not at work.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I carry everywhere I legally can. I can't carry to work, but if I'm on travel for work to a location where I can carry it goes with me.

Carry around the house a lot, but sometimes when doing outside work etc it gets a bit uncomfortable so I give up a bit of security for convenience, but only around home.

Top Bottom