• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Notice on a lot of the used 45's the mark where people have scratched the frame trying to put the slide release in. How bout you, ever done this? I'll be honest, I did it on the first one I ever owned.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Notice on a lot of the used 45's the mark where people have scratched the frame trying to put the slide release in. How bout you, ever done this? I'll be honest, I did it on the first one I ever owned.

I had some work done on my COLT OFFICERS 45, by a gunsmith & it came back with dummy scratches:xmad:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    "idiot mark"....is the correct term for it......it's done from not knowin' the correct way to field strip one.....9 times out of 10 they try to pull the slide stop without removin' the recoil spring plug first...

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Many, if not all, of the military 1911's have this mark. I was told that military personnel were taught to press the slide stop firmly into the frame as they rotated it up into position.

Doug

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I am proud to say that I haven't done it on any of my 1911's
    However I have only bought two 1911's new and the ones i got used came pre scratched. :(
    I have read stories about buys who have had 1911 for decades and still managed to idiot scratch one.
    So, I am not out of the woods yet.

I am going to try scotch brite pads and oil on my most recent acquisition.
    I will post up a thread about it when I get a chance to do it.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Mines scratched but it came that way. Not sure if it was from being used in the Argentinian military or the person that owned before me but it isn't something I worry about.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've owned dozens of 1911s over the years and I'd say about half of them were Idiot Marked. Proudly I can say I've only done it once and that was with a very difficult slide stop to replace. BTW, I take my 1911s apart without removing the recoil spring first and have never had an issue doing it that way. A WWII vet taught me to do it that way and he never had issues either. :twocents:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here's a trick
    File a notch here

slidestop.jpg

Then press in like so.
    slidestopinstall.jpg

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No idiot scratches on mine...I had a good mentor.
    There for awhile, one of the 1911 manufacturers had a stock photo on their website that sported a scratch. I'll see if I can find it. It was one of those things that make ya go "hmm".

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    "idiot mark"....is the correct term for it......it's done from not knowin' the correct way to field strip one.....9 times out of 10 they try to pull the slide stop without removin' the recoil spring plug first...

Every 1911 I've ever owned has an idiot mark, but I never did it stripping the gun. I always did it during reassembly... I just must be a bigger idiot than most.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    There is also another way to prevent the "idiot mark". When reassembling and installing the thumb safety do not compress the spring/plunger behind the safety and push the safety back against the frame yet. Just push the thumb safety back against the spring/plunger. Install the slide then insert the slide stop. This was there is no pressure on the slide stop by the plunger/spring. Then go behind the thumb safety and compress the plunger/spring and push the safety back against the frame. No chance of the dreaded scratch...

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    For the brief period of time I owned a 1911 (and yes, to this day I regret getting rid of it), I put a little piece of Scotch tape on the frame where the dreaded mark could occur. Seemed to work but I only field stripped the gun once. :)

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Every 1911 I've ever owned has an idiot mark, but I never did it stripping the gun. I always did it during reassembly... I just must be a bigger idiot than most.

WE must be bigger idiots than most. :): I idiot marked my first pistol, my Colt 1991A1, when I was trying to get it put back together.

If someone here one day posts a magical method that helps to fix the idiot mark on a stainless 1911 I'll probably give it a try. But if not, oh well. It's my Colt and it's not going anywhere.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I don't think I ever did that when I had either of mine. If I recall, I used to have some oil on my finger tip that I would place on the slide stop and as I would line up the barrel link with the pin, I would hold the slide stop in place while pressing down firmly and it would go in without scratching anything.

Top Bottom