• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    My dad's series 70 Gold Cup, when I was 15. He just looked at and said "Well now you know what not to do." I always wondered how he didn't kill me for it, but now that I am a father I understand a little better.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I never really knew exactly what the idiot scratch was until I just googled it now.

I wasn't ever taught how to take down or assemble my 1911's, nor did I read the manual.

However upon inspection, none of mine have the scratch. Must be doing something right. Not even really sure how to cause that scratch.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Only once.

I have many 1911 pistols but only two have the idiot mark. I take full responsibility for the first one Stainless Springfield Loaded (ouch), the second was a teaching moment for my son so it was not a big deal.

BIGE7.62

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I was letting my son put my springfield back together and some how he put the oop's mark on the slide .
    So I told him to watch the right way to do it and put an IDIOT mark on the frame

Now my 1911 has a BIG crescent shaped IDIOT mark that I'm kinda proud of. :)

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I was letting my son put my springfield back together and some how he put the oop's mark on the slide .
    So I told him to watch the right way to do it and put an IDIOT mark on the frame

Now my 1911 has a BIG crescent shaped IDIOT mark that I'm kinda proud of. :)
    LOL
    I agree, the idiot mark belongs on the frame.
    Reps for teaching your son the 'right' way.
    And for being honest.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Here's a trick
    File a notch here

slidestop.jpg

Then press in like so.
    slidestopinstall.jpg
    Ditto.. Simple to do and solves the problem.. Most people don't want to take a file to their 1911 and the more the pistol costs the more they hesitate. The exact fix I saw one of Nighthawk's builders put on a pistol. The question is why don't they do it to every pistol?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    OK, you guys fired me up.
    I went home and got out my Springfield Loaded.
    It had a light scratch on the left side of the slide and an idiot mark on the frame.

First I tried the scotch Brite pads.
    The scratch on the slide was very light and the scotch brite pads took it right out after a bit of buffing with copious amounts of oil.
    Awesome.

The I went to the idiot mark.
    I took the slide off, the grips off, the grip bushing out, and removed the mag release to have a clear surface to work with.
    the idiot mark was deeper than the scratch on the slide and the Scotch Brite pads could not take it out.
    So I went to the sand paper.
    I had some 320, 600, 800, and 2000 grit sandpaper.
    I started with the 800 grit because I was trying to be careful and go slow.
    The 800 grit made it better but it could still be seen.
    I ended up taking the scratch out with the 320 grit, then buffing that with the 800
    grit and finishing the polish with the Scotch brite pads.
    It did take quite a bit of sanding and a lot of oil.
    The oil would get gray from the metal that was being removed then I would wipe it off and put some clean oil on.
    I probably took the longest to actually get the scratch out.
    After that is just took a couple of minutes with the 800 grit and the Scotch Brite pads to get the finish to match the existing.

No more scratch. :rockwoot:

Now I just have to figure out how to get scratches off of the matte finish.
    Now THAT's a problem.

nk1124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bloomington
    I probably took the longest to actually get the scratch out.
    After that is just took a couple of minutes with the 800 grit and the Scotch Brite pads to get the finish to match the existing.

Could have saved yourself a lot of time by using a dremel tool :D

Of the two 1911 patterend pistols I have owned one had one, the other does not... hopefully it stays that way

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I just bought a Lightweight Commander in .38 Super. It has it...It is also on a Taurus stainless 1911 I traded into last summer. It is not on my 1951 1911 target gun, nor my Star P.D.....John

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I almost feel like this is inevitable with a 1911. Moreover, given the original military purpose, I doubt Browning really gave it a whole lot of thought. It wasn't really meant to be terribly pretty (whether is or not) and I can say from a fair amount of experience using a military issued weapon in a variety of ways I wasn't meant to (bashing locks, pry bar, impromptu door jam, etc), that military types don't much care about a little scratch here and there.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Now I just have to figure out how to get scratches off of the matte finish.
    Now THAT's a problem.

Wire detail brush (resembles a toothbrush.) DON'T BRUSH with it! Use it to tap with, like a hammer bristles down. It's a slow process but it works to cover the shiny spots.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I almost feel like this is inevitable with a 1911. Moreover, given the original military purpose, I doubt Browning really gave it a whole lot of thought. It wasn't really meant to be terribly pretty (whether is or not) and I can say from a fair amount of experience using a military issued weapon in a variety of ways I wasn't meant to (bashing locks, pry bar, impromptu door jam, etc), that military types don't much care about a little scratch here and there.

This military type doesn't have an "idiot scratch" on any of his 1911's. Also, this military type cares a great deal about scratching up a $1000 gun simply due to negligence, or careless re-assembly. I don't believe this thread started out in reference to combat use of a handgun. My father taught me at a young age that there is a tool for most every purpose, and bashing locks, use as a pry bar, use as a door jamb, are not proper uses of a handgun, Sure accidents happen, but I treat my "tools" and guns as if I truly might need them someday, and I want them to be in the best condition possible.

Just my opinion, worth less than two cents....I mean no disrespect

Thanks for serving...... :patriot:

Top Bottom