• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nosybobby52

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    bought a ww2 german mauser 8mm bolt action at gun show, kicked so damn hard it was just no fun to shoot after 4 rounds.bit off more than i could chew.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    bought a ww2 german mauser 8mm bolt action at gun show, kicked so damn hard it was just no fun to shoot after 4 rounds.bit off more than i could chew.

Get a Limbsaver slip-on pad, small size, slip it on upside down, and you will have a much better time. My 87 yo grandfather and I had a great time shooting his that way.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    BB gun fights as a kid without glasses. I has a Crossman. They had Daisys. I was "limited" to two pumps. I cheated.

Nailed a friend between the eyes from 50 yards. We quit right after that and never "played" again.

My grampa used to do this when he was little. They used to play cowboys and Indians with bb guns and he said no one wanted to be an Indian because you didn't get a gun. So I just imagine everyone shooting the one or two kids that didn't have one.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    One day I took my Benelli M1 out of the vault, put it in a box, wrapped it up, and sold it. Now that was dumb! Been kicking myself for that one ever since.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I did that once except used a small propane tank (the size used for camping lanterns). Made a real pretty fireball though.

Did u have the circle of fire as well?

I thought the Mythbusters tried that (with much bigger tanks of course) and it didn't work :dunno: (unfortunately, I'm at work and the block access to youtube for me to look LOL)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Did u have the circle of fire as well?

Nope, no ring of fire, just an ordinary campfire. The one I shot was the type they used to use for lanterns, stoves, hand-held torches, etc. (much smaller than the kind you use for your grill). Was roughly 3 inches diameter and 12 inches tall. It was almost empty to where the lantern wouldn't light any more, but still a small amount left in the tank. Set the tank behind the campfire, walked off about 50 yards and shot it with a .22 rifle. Don't know about mythbusters, all I know is that it lit the sky up real bright for a few seconds! ;)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Nope, no ring of fire, just an ordinary campfire. The one I shot was the type they used to use for lanterns, stoves, hand-held torches, etc. (much smaller than the kind you use for your grill). Was roughly 3 inches diameter and 12 inches tall. It was almost empty to where the lantern wouldn't light any more, but still a small amount left in the tank. Set the tank behind the campfire, walked off about 50 yards and shot it with a .22 rifle. Don't know about mythbusters, all I know is that it lit the sky up real bright for a few seconds! ;)

OK, it was the campfire that 'lit' the gas :D

I thought the Mythbusters tried shooting a container of gasoline, propane, and other stuff (including the gas tank of a car) to dispell some movie misconceptions that the bullet would ignite the flammable substance. You had the campfire as the source of flame after making the container leak :yesway:

Would have been awesome to see for sure :ingo:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Can't say I ever had an accidental discharge but have done a couple things I won't ever do again. First was in about 1958 - yeah I still remember it well - My cousin and I were finished hunting squirrel, returning to the cabin when we spotted a large Hornets nest hanging from a tree limb. It was only a few hundred yards from the house so thought we should try to get it down. We decided to back off 3 or 4 hundred feet and shoot it down with our 22LR's. I had a pretty good scope on mine so I shot first, Immediately after firing, and rocking the nest my cousin yelled - I turned to see why, when it felt like someone socked me in the stomach. A Horned had apparently spotted me firing and made a beeline at me hitting me right in the Belt buckle. Needless to say that was the end of than exercise - a couple of inches lower and I would have still been laying on the ground moaning. The second thing I regret is firing a Russian Tokorev rifle while laying prone on the Wildcat Valley range at the 200 yard mark. The gun didn't bed into my shoulder well and when that 7.62 X 54 R bullet went down range, I thought I had broken my collarbone. End of HP shooting for me that day.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    About a decade ago, I loaned a (soon to be) ex-boyfriend my Winchester 30-30 so he could go hunting with his buddies for the weekend. Dumb ass got drunk, then disorderly, then the cops confiscated the rifle. Then he tries to tell me he "lost" it...
    There's a reason some people are EX

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    A long time ago, my father-in-law and myself we trying to shoot an old .45 cal muzzleloader with pyrodex. It was working, but not consistently. (we are now both aware that Pyrodex works much better in inlines) We decided to add 10 grains of black powder under the nipple to try to ensure the gun fired. It worked perfectly the 1st time. The second shot we increased to 25 grains. My FIL ended up with a blown off nipple cap, bent hammer, and a gun powder covered face.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I was carrying an AMT Back-up inside the waistband w/o a holster and standing in line at the license branch. Somehow the Back-up slipped right on down my pant leg and clattered to the floor. There must have been 40 people in the room and no one seemed to notice as I quickly retrieved it and put it in my pocket.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I handled my first shotgun and one time accidentally pulled the trigger and thanked God it was unloaded that day.

Before then, I had drop a round directly into the chamber of my carry gun and was told it was a stupid thing to do...not before having the habit of doing that several times.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My 1st time training with a pistol. Coach had me working from a holster for the first time.
    All was going well until Something just didn't feel quite right after that last shot, and 'hey, my thumb kinda hurts'. I'd held my thumb on the back of the slide.
    Reholster, and next shot, CLICK. Turns out my thumb had held the slide shut so the last round didn't eject. What I did next is what bothers me most, because I had practiced the old tap rack and bang a bit beforehand. But when faced with the malfunction, everything went out the window and I left the mag in, and slowly pulled the slide back to see what was wrong... then stood there like a deer in the headlights realizing what happened and not at all sure what to do about the casing floating around and a live round wanting to feed. lol, I felt like such a numbskull.
    The good news is, Coach and I both learned that holding the slide shut on a 9mm with your thumb is not all that painful. I continued to shoot another hour or so without issue. By the end of the session, it was completely fine.
    That and I'm learning to better deal with malfunctions.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom