• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    I had a friend who was, shall we say, cerebrally challenged. He wanted to learn to shoot a pistol. This was about 20 years ago, and we lived in Greenwood, so I took him to Don's Guns. I had a S&W Model 19, .357. I showed him how to aim, breath, and gently squeeze the trigger, in the single action mode. Now, I want you to realize that the pistol was verrrry light on the trigger when the hammer was cocked.

He aims the revolver down range, cocks the hammer, and starts to squeeze. At this point he turns to me, the barrel about two feet from my chest, and says "But what if...." Fighting to remain calm, I quietly told him to lay the gun down. He just looked at me puzzled, hammer cocked, finger on the trigger, aimed dead at my chest from two feet away. Once again I quietly told him to lay the gun down, and step back. Once he did this I had him up against the wall, yelling at him to never point a gun at me again. The lesson was over.

I have taught several people to shoot since then, but I always start and finish the lesson or demonstration with the admonishment not to point a gun at something your not ready to destroy. What should be common sense, can be extremely uncommon. Not telling a noob to not point a gun at you is very dumb. It gets expensive if you have to buy a new pair of shorts after every lesson.:D

Wow, what a story. I do the same thing about providing instructions beforehand as well. I also stand behind the shooter, offset a little. It helps with observations and the ability to deflect them back down range by pushing on one of their shoulders (preventing them from turning).

decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    I was using my dad's Colt Woodsman, hair trigger, and a trigger shoe on it too making the trigger a little wider than the guard. I stuck it in a holster that didn't fit with the safety off and it went off. Went through a wrinkle in my pants leg and into the ground right beside my foot. I was a lot younger and dumber then. And I knew better, I was raised around them and taught how to use them.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    I was using my dad's Colt Woodsman, hair trigger, and a trigger shoe on it too making the trigger a little wider than the guard. I stuck it in a holster that didn't fit with the safety off and it went off. Went through a wrinkle in my pants leg and into the ground right beside my foot. I was a lot younger and dumber then. And I knew better, I was raised around them and taught how to use them.
    Wow.. also a lot luckier too, I assume?

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    When I used too work on an ambulance I responded to a guy that had been drinking. He left his gun in his car while he was drinking (good idea #1), when he was done drinking he decided he had too much to drink and shouldnt drive (good idea #2). He then went out to his car to get his .357 and when he holstered it, it discharged. Round entered his thigh just below barrel and traveled though his knee and exited out his ankle blowing it to shreds.

Story #2:

Guy went out target shooting with a 22lr with some friends. Got home and reached into back seat to get rifle. Pulled said rifle out.......barrel first. Bumped stock on door frame and since he had left a round in the chamber it discharged. Round struck him right between the eyes, like dead center. He was dead before he hit the dirt.

I know, these are downer stories, but please use them to re-enforce the safety we all know we should use.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    When I used too work on an ambulance I responded to a guy that had been drinking. He left his gun in his car while he was drinking (good idea #1), when he was done drinking he decided he had too much to drink and shouldnt drive (good idea #2). He then went out to his car to get his .357 and when he holstered it, it discharged. Round entered his thigh just below barrel and traveled though his knee and exited out his ankle blowing it to shreds.

Story #2:

Guy went out target shooting with a 22lr with some friends. Got home and reached into back seat to get rifle. Pulled said rifle out.......barrel first. Bumped stock on door frame and since he had left a round in the chamber it discharged. Round struck him right between the eyes, like dead center. He was dead before he hit the dirt.

I know, these are downer stories, but please use them to re-enforce the safety we all know we should use.

yes,downers for sure. but we all need to be reminded every now and again that these things do happen. its amazing how firearms can bring us so much joy yet they have the capability to ruin our lives in a heart beat. respect em and all will fine:yesway:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    yes,downers for sure. but we all need to be reminded every now and again that these things do happen. its amazing how firearms can bring us so much joy yet they have the capability to ruin our lives in a heart beat. respect em and all will fine:yesway:

Oh, after being on a medic truck for 6yrs and being almost 12yrs, there are LOTS more where those came from. Not trying to kill the thread though, just pointing out a couple for safety reasons.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Ha!
    I had just bought my first 1911, and had no idea how to strip it.
    my buddy says: you just push down on this button on the end and turn this little bushing...then let go of the button...the plug hit me square between the eyes!

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Back when I was around 10 year old, I shot and killed a Robin.

Not only was it dumb, it was stupid and a bad thing to do. I'll remember that day for the rest of my life.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I shot myself in the knee with a .22 rifle... Let's just say don't try to contort yourself to shoot from a confined area. Luckily I just got flesh and no bone. Screwed up thing though was my knee never had any problems, but the insane load of antibiotics they gave me screwed my guts up so bad I have problems to this day and that was about 10 years ago. Shoulda just stayed home, but figured, damn, I just shot myself, maybe I should go to the hospital.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I shot myself in the knee with a .22 rifle... Let's just say don't try to contort yourself to shoot from a confined area. Luckily I just got flesh and no bone. Screwed up thing though was my knee never had any problems, but the insane load of antibiotics they gave me screwed my guts up so bad I have problems to this day and that was about 10 years ago. Shoulda just stayed home, but figured, damn, I just shot myself, maybe I should go to the hospital.

What the heck? Are you a contortionist for Cirque Du Soleil in your spare time? I cannot even picture how you did that!

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Is this group therapy? "Hi, I'm Doug and I've done stoooopid things with guns." :D

Like others, I've done the "launch the plug" trick with a 1911. Fortunately I've never lost a part (I think). I also once went into a panic when I thought I had lost a pistol, only to find it hiding deep inside my range bag.

I also once thought I had lost my M16 during officer's basic training at Fort Lewis. I set it down by a tree while taking a drink of water. One of the tac officers came by and talked to me for a while. When we were done I picked up my pack and walked off. It was about 10 minutes later that it occurred to me that my load seemed lighter somehow...I've never moved faster in my life. I can't believe how lucky I was to not only find the rifle, but find it before someone noticed I was looking for it!

The worst one I recall, though, happened later at that same training. I was the RO for the LAW range (for you younger types, that's the Light Anti-tank Weapon, sort of a disposable bazooka). I was pretty pysched about it because we all got to fire live rounds, not just the practice rounds with paint in the head. I was in the tower calling instructions when one of the female cadet's weapon did not fire. I started walking her through the immediate action drill when she didn't hear one of my instructions. She turned, swinging the weapon with her, to look at me and say "What?"

Keep in mind the LAW is a bazooka, and it was now pointing right down the line. People to the right were going to get the high explosive round, people to the left were going to get the lethal backblast from the rocket. Most of the line started diving for cover as I shouted at her to keep it pointed downrange, and she started to turn back. She got about 75 degrees to the line when the round, apparently a hangfire, finally went off. She was pointing slightly down so the round hit the dirt and exploded about 60 yards in front of the line. The miracle is that no one was killed - it could have been really ugly.

Needless to say, we didn't let her fire anything bigger than her sidearm from that day forward....and even then we stayed well clear of her.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    What the heck? Are you a contortionist for Cirque Du Soleil in your spare time? I cannot even picture how you did that!

Sitting, leaning back, resting barrel on my knee. No problem the first time I did it with the old Remington with the long barrel and iron sites, but tried it a different time with an HR handi rifle with a scope. Wasn't paying attention that with the shorter barrel of the HR when when I rested it on my knee, the muzzle pointed right into it. And with the scope, I was looking right over it. Funny how that shot sounded a little muffled. Wasn't so funny when I saw the two black holes in my jeans.

This is the dumbest thing done with a gun thread... so I'm not too embarrassed, I suppose.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    mid 80s, 11th cav in germany. i had a brain dead captain try to give instructons on the law rocket to german sister unit. as 35 men listened to him describing how to squeeze firing button, not to pull, he pulled..... 35yards later round exploded in hail of dirt and debris. sister unit figured we were all idiots and left.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    A long time ago a buddy of mine offered to let me drive his new mustang. Of course I could not turn him down. He had just recently bought a .380 off one of his friends. I was driving, his wife riding shotgun, and him in the back seat. We are sitting in the drive through at McD's and he is "playing" with this gun. I need to mention he only had one bullet for this gun. He was putting it in the mag, racking it, ejecting the round, and then pulling the trigger....... I'll take a big mac, large fry....BANG! He shot himself in the knee. I never got my big mac. Still remember that like it was yesterday and still very happy that it went through his knee and not my back.

Last edited:

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    i was letting the hammer down on my 1911 and it discharged.shot all the way through the ceiling and put a nice size hole right above my wife's piano.only way she found out was there was some drywall dust i didnt get cleaned up.boy she was :xmad:

I almost killed my toilet in the same fashion.:rockwoot:

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I was building an AK and doing some adjustments to the magazine well (it was about 10 deg in the garage so i was in the dining room :dunno:) when i had the bright idea i'd throw a mag in and cycle some rds through it. BANG! Mag wasn't seated, fell out, round flipped around and the bolt slammed the primer into one of the rails (wolf HP). I was very lucky most of the shrapnel stayed inside but enough came out to sting my arm pretty good and scare the crap out of my wife. Needless to say i had reloaded some dummy rds before i went to bed that night. by the way, the bullet left the case and was laying on the floor. I never found anything that looked like it had hit, and the case had the side blown out of it.

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Couple years ago i had round stuck in the chamber of a .25 and couldnt get it out...the ejector was not grasping it...a screw driver or tek driver wouldnt get the round out. So i just kept racking the slide thinking the ejector would catch it and viola...boom...round goes off and goes through my dresser...couldnt belive i did that...

that situation was pre me knowing things about guns like that...

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    did the take a **** undo belt and have hk .40 drop to the floor thru pantleg, till i got inside the pants holster that doesnt happen anymore thank god, but when i was 13 ish had friend over and wanted to show him my dads gun and was just not reponsible with it waving it aroung and pointing it all over at him and me and only by the grace of god was not the moral of an after school special

Top Bottom