• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    A whole lot younger and a heck of a lot dumber ago.....I bought a beat up Mossberg 500, 18 1/2 barrel, Pistol grip. Thought it was the coolest thing. I went to the old railroad gulley where we used to shoot.
    Held it up to shoot it one handed and pulled the trigger. Lets say I lauched the gun right into the swamp. Could not find it for hours.

I don't get it, I can shoot 3" slugs on handed from a pistol gripped 870 no problem, can even hit targets at 50 yards like that. It ain't that difficult! Be doing it that way since I was 13!
    Dumbest thing I ever done, sell or trade any guns!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    If we are including BB guns, I shot a fly at close range on the garage. The problem was I was so close to garage the BB bounced back and hit me in the eye. All I could think was (from A Christmas Story) " Oh my God, I shot my eye out!"

rcjack86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Indianapolis/Lafayette
    In homage to the "Dumbest things you have said" thread, I give you the:

Dumbest thing you have DONE with a gun, thread.

I will start. Today, I had to answer the call of nature. Hate public bathrooms, but I had no choice, know what I mean?

So I stand up, hike up my pants. just about as they get near my waist..

Well, let's just say the Bersa does NOT fire when dropped a couple feet onto tile :ugh:

Dropping mine is also the dumbest thing I have done. On concrete. Left some pretty nice scratches on the polymer frame.

Subystomper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Indianapolis SS
    Put mine in my night stand and forgot I put it there cause I usually put it in my safe but not that night. Looked everywhere for it but there for about 7 hours when I though about lookin in there and there it was.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Shortly after shacking up with my then girlfriend now wife, she convinced me a pistol was more of a liability in a high rise apartment building. So I sold it to the local gun shop taking a 50% loss. About two weeks later a bunch of guys chased us up the street at two am, and busted down the glass doors to my building. Fortunately the front guy passed out from blood loss just as the door shut them out of the elevator. When we went to court, his mother told me how angelic he was. I told her about how her angel and his friends stole the wheel chair that wheeled the leader to the hospital in from a paraplegic earlier in the night. We knew we needed to run when they were talking about not knowing how to use it just before turning their eyes on us talking about wanting to rape my lady. Angel... Fortunately my lady lets me have all the guns I want now. Lesson learned.

USMC1811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sad to say I was careless with a magazine. I was shooting a G27 and my Grandson was using my G26. We usually discuss safety rules before loading up and we did at process as usual. Only one person shoots at a time, so I was first up. I grabbed a magazine and loaded up and shot the first round and my G27 jammed. The casing did not reject too my amazement and since I have never had that happen before I jacked the slide manually and fired another round and another ejection failure, this time the slid was hard to cycle, but I managed and then I checked the casing and discovered it was a 9mm not a 40cal.
    When I got home, I went on line and found colored bases for Glocks so I bought and since I have one set of magazines for target shooting and one for carry, I changed out all the bases on the 9mm to a very light blue. And I have added one additional rule; check the magazine caliber and the base before shooting. I know it was a stupid mistake, but being human I am still learning.

Danemon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    After transitioning to my .38 from my Glock 23 in a failure drill, I gripped the .38 like the Glock and got my thumb too close to the cylinder while firing. Burnt the thumb a bit, but considered it Hard Knocks learning. Worst part was it was right on the cuticle. Annoyed the hell out of me for a couple of days. :D

Last edited:

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Sell it ...

Ok, if that counts, the dumbest thing I have done with a gun is sell my M1A SOCOM 16 rifle with EOtech red dot sight. Work for me in WA state was so scarce I sold it to keep up on bills. Two weeks later things picked up and we were fine. This was nearly 3 years ago and among the losses were also a wasr 10 and an RPK clone.

Lesson learned though, never again will I get rid of a gun for any reason!

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    dumbest thing ive done with a gun

This happened to me this morning. I just bought a yugo sks last week and was having problems with spent casings ejecting. My buddy brought his yugo over to use as a parts gun to figure out what was wrong with mine, which ended up being gas chamber valve. I ordered new valve which came in the mail yesterday. This morning i rushed out to garage to install new valve and fire the gun. Fired it and no ejection,so i cycled the bolt manually and fired again same thing tried it three more times and no difference. Dissapointed i went back in the garage over to the bench and lo and behold there layed the piston from the gas chamber tube.
    icon8.gif

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Way back about 1986 school was closed due to snow. My buddy and I took two of his dad's twelve gauges and headed out into the woods. We had no particular plans other than being outside. We walked for a while down a frozen creek that headed towards the Wabash. We began to debate just how thick the ice on the creek was...

When you are 17 years old and armed with twelve gauges there is really only one way to figure our how thick ice is. We both picked a point a few feet in front of us and fired. The ice shattered and we plunged waist deep into freezing water.

By the time we could run to his dad's house our pants were frozen. We had to stand around the wood burner like we were trying to shove our butts on the stove just to thaw our frozen jeans enough to get out of them. At the time it was funny. Looking back with the benefit of experience it was just dumb.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I got a story of me being stupid with a gun. It could've been horrendously disastrous. I didn't really want to admit to doing this, but I figure maybe someone could prevent their child from doing the same thing I did by reading it.

Several years ago when I was still young and dumb (and not into guns like I am now) my dad had just taken me out shooting his stevens 12ga. He made sure I knew gun safety and everything, what happened was no fault of his, only mine. We got back and he let me disassemble and clean it. I was fascinated with it and he apparently trusted me to hold onto the shotgun in my bedroom. I had brought back some empty shells. I folded the paper ends up so that I could cycle them through the gun. Not a safe thing to do but whatever, that's not what I'm ashamed of.

Not thinking and not remembering what my dad had told me, I loaded the shotgun with the empty shells, pumped it, and aimed it at my little sister point blank (she was watching me play with the gun) and pulled the trigger.

She told dad, and when he got to me he gave me a hard slap right across the face. It's the only time he's ever laid hands on me. Afterwords he explained how a live shell could've gone un-noticed with the empty ones, and what could've happened.

Of course I was mad at the time, but looking back on it I would've done more than slap myself for what I did.

I don't have kids yet, but when I do, and when I introduce them to guns, I won't be so eager to trust them until they can earn it.

I feel sick whenever that memory is brought up, my hands are all sweaty after typing all that...

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    I had just gotten my LTCH and carried to work with me for the first time. I had to leave it in my vehicle in the lot and I didnt have a problem at all remembering to bring it in. I always close my bedroom door and my daughter's so I can sit around at 3 am and not wake anyone up. Well my safe is in my bedroom in my closet, so I figured well I'll sit it on the chair by the closet and when Im ready for bed I'll put it away. I went to bed about 5 am that morning, my wife woke me up at 9 am standing in my bedroom doorway with my gun. "Are you *****ng serious?" and my wife doesnt cuss. I couldnt close my eyes again after that, I was sick as sh*t for hours afterwards. The only silver lining I could find in that ****storm cloud was that my daughter hadnt been to the living room yet. She had just woken up and got my wife and went to the restroom and on my wife's way to the can she happened to notice it sitting on the arm of the chair, unchambered, in the Uncle Mike's nylon sock holster. I put my gun away as soon as it comes out of the Supertuck now. I felt/feel like a complete ass for it and Im actually a little sick reliving it.:n00b: :noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::(

Top Bottom