• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mugable

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I was under the impression that it was an etiquette no-no. I only dry fired a gun once and it was at the insistence of one of the shop clerks so I could get a feel for the trigger.
    Other than that I make a conscious effort to not dry fire any firearm that isn't mine whether it's a friend's gun or I'm at a shop.

dcat91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Paradise
    I could never purchase a firearm without dry firing, the way a trigger feels to ME is the most important thing I consider besides the way it feels in my hand. If its a revolver I always ask for snap caps, or if I'm out looking for a specific gun ie a model 10 or something ill bring my own.

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    The only firearm I've bought and didn't dry fit was a old nagant revolver. That's because the fitting pin is so long and creeps down to a very narrow point. The guy did let me hold the hammer back as I used the trigger to get a feel for it though. You have to know how the trigger feels before buying it though. I think this is a very common practice for most any other firearm. I always ask beforehand though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I won't buy a gun if I can't dry fire it first. If I'm in a shop and I don't already know it's okay, I will ask before I do it. On the rare occasion permission was denied, the sale was lost immediately. I started a topic about my experience at the local Dunham's store. I was going with the intent of buying a .308 bolt action they advertised, not just look it over. When they would not allow me to dry fire, they lost the sale.

mattinindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    I was in a local shop yesterday and noticed a young man/kid looking at .22 rimfire pistol. Store clerk had to keep telling him to stop dry firing b/c it can damage the firing pin. Finally he took the pistol from him and put it back in the case. Kid looked amazed and confused. I tried to explain to him what was going on but just stormed out. Felt like giving him a bop on the head.

Moorephine

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Bloomington
    Everything I've ever seen and read shows that dry firing a centerfire gun doesn't cause any damage. Also, I wouldn't pay money for a gun that I hadn't tried the trigger on

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Most modern center-fire handguns can be dry-fired occassionally without snap caps and it will not harm the pistol.
    The firing pin of some older center-fire pistols could be damaged by dry-firing without snap caps.
    I do not dry-fire rimfire pistols.

It is good form to ask first.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I usually dry fire it a couple of times and then shove it in my pants. You need to know how that pistol is going to feel in the Thunderwear. Depending on the type of pistol you may also consider flipping and twirling it like gunfighters from Old West movies.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Um, that's what they are for....

IMO, the only reason to use Snap Caps in modern centerfire pistols is for simulating a malfunction during live fire training. Storing the pistol loaded with snap caps so that it is "ready for practice" is counterintuitive to rule #1.

Dry fire practice should only occur AFTER the gun has been cleared and you have both visual an tactile confirmation of an EMPTY chamber.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    IMO, the only reason to use Snap Caps in modern centerfire pistols is for simulating a malfunction during live fire training. Storing the pistol loaded with snap caps so that it is "ready for practice" is counterintuitive to rule #1.

Dry fire practice should only occur AFTER the gun has been cleared and you have both visual an tactile confirmation of an EMPTY chamber.

Agreed!

Almost all modern centerfire guns can be dry fired as much as you want without damaging the gun. And no, snap caps are not necessary for dry firing those guns.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Snap caps for FTW! I store my 1911's with snap caps, cuz sometimes I like to practice.

That's similar to my situation.

I often sleepwalk and have been found to play with guns while sleeping. So I've always loaded the first two rounds of my bedside pistol with snap caps. If I'm asleep, I probably won't rack the slide twice and fire. So, if I need it for defense, I just have to remember to rack off those two rounds.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    A neon green and orange shirt with the warning " I always test fire guns with snap caps before I buy" should have to be worn by all such believing customers. ;)

Top Bottom