• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I believe this is common practice, but asking is good. My buddy went to a shop years ago and when he dry fired the gun the guy behind the counter freaked out. He said he just set the gun down on the counter said I am sorry and backed out the door. I was not present for this and was just told about it after the fact… We don't frequent or even go to this shop anyways as I always felt the owners were very sketchy to begin with but some deals could be found from time to time. Plus when you just love guns you can't help but go in a place that sells them you know? But knowing what I know about the place I found it totally believable.

So yes always ask. While one employee may be good with it the next employee may not. However I think dry fire is a pretty normal practice before a purchase like all have stated here and would not be surprised to see it.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    From Sig Sauer website FAQ:

Is it safe to dry-fire my pistol?

It is safe to dry-fire our center fire pistols. You would want to use a snap cap or plug if extensive dry-firing is done. Always count your dry-firing in your live fire count to be sure all springs and pins are in top condition. DO NOT intentionally dry-fire any rim fire pistol such as the Mosquito, .22LR conversions or Classic Pistols.

https://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/Faq.aspx

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yep it is common, as common as test driving a car. Would you buy a new firearm from a vendor that wouldn't take it out of the showcase for you to handle? Next to the weight, balance and sight picture, the trigger "feel" is one of the most important characteristics of a firearm. If I were not allowed to dry fire any centerfire gun in a shop (after verifying it was safe), I sure wouldn't buy it. As long as it is pointed in a safe direction it should not be any issue.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Is this common, acceptable practice? I have never seen this before. I am surprised the clerk didn't seem to have a problem with it. I don't dry fire my own guns, and they are MY GUNS, let alone a brand new gun for sale... Plus the safety concern of the whole situation.

Thoughts/comments???

I always ask before I dry fire a gun, usually with a simple, "Ok to dry fire?". If they say no, I don't do it. Depends on make and model, some guns it's just not a good idea to dry fire.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    we didn't at first. that's how my wife wound up with a pf9 she hated the trigger on. now we ask first and then try it out. After a proper safety check and then pointing it at the ground

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I ask and then go for it. Why would I buy a gun without checking the trigger, unless the shop is afraid the pin may be damaged? I would also check to see if the mag freely drops and if the slide is smooth.

If you don't dry fire, what do you do over the winter to maintain your proficiency?
    ^^ this. I won't buy a gun that I haven't dry fired.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I always ask the salesmen first. If he says no I hand the gun back to him no sale. I have been denied 3 times. The feel and pull of the trigger is A must for me!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Often, when shopping with the hubby, the salesperson will tell us to go ahead and dry-fire before we even ask. I definitely will if I'm serious about the gun. Always point at the floor.

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    Pulling the trigfer is only way you know if you like it...I have never had a gun fail because of dry firing it..

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    As I was walking out of the range a few days ago...a clerk saw the box that my new Baby Eagle II was in and said "whatcha got there?". when I told him a new polymer semi-compact baby eagle II in .40, he said "whoa...lemme see it". when I took it out of the box, safety checked it, and placed it on the counter (slide locked open) he said "may I?". I said sure. He proceeded to point the gun in a safe direction and dry fire in DA and SA mulitple times. didn't bother me a bit. If I wanted to do the same thing to a gun they were selling...the roles would be reversed and it would happen the exact same way that I just described.
    ok I really fought the urge to make this post but I can't help it, its like that itch you get when you hear someone call a mag a clip or an LTCH a permit. Its only called a baby eagle for marketing purposes and is not a product of Magnum Research like the desert eagle, its name given to it by its true manufacture IWI "Jericho 941" (the suffix 941 literally meaning 9mm/41.AE since it was originally designed to interchange between the two calibers and even came with both barrels and 2 mags of each.) sorry hearing it called a baby eagle is a pet peeve of mine, especially since its all marketing given the DE and Jericho have nothing in common besides a similar slide. Ok....back on topic, the Jericho is completely safe to dry fire and is even stated so In the manual. Not to mention the ultra smooth trigger :D....ok rant off.......

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    The only exceptions are rimfires and some S&W revolvers, especially with an extended firing pin.

I know it's a bad idea on my old USP as well, as the firing pin wasn't designed very strong on that year of the firearm.

I would be careful about your baby eagle as well, Tyler. If you look it up, people have busted their firing pin by dry firing.
    don't worry, have dry fired all 3 if mine thousands of times with no issue. They were designed to handle use and abuse. Your biggest concern is to keep the trigger mechanisms lubed when dry firing, they will wear out after a long time of extended use and abuse. Not to mention the manufacture IWI ( contrary to popular belief magnum research does not manufacture the pistol, it only imports it.) has clearly stated in the manual it is safe to dry fire.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    ok I really fought the urge to make this post but I can't help it, its like that itch you get when you hear someone call a mag a clip or an LTCH a permit. Its only called a baby eagle for marketing purposes and is not a product of Magnum Research like the desert eagle, its name given to it by its true manufacture IWI "Jericho 941" (the suffix 941 literally meaning 9mm/41.AE since it was originally designed to interchange between the two calibers and even came with both barrels and 2 mags of each.) sorry hearing it called a baby eagle is a pet peeve of mine, especially since its all marketing given the DE and Jericho have nothing in common besides a similar slide. Ok....back on topic, the Jericho is completely safe to dry fire and is even stated so In the manual. Not to mention the ultra smooth trigger :D....ok rant off.......

Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle II, .40SW, Polymer, Semi-compact, 12 round - Style # BE9413RSL, MRI Shop / Firearms

[video=youtube;oXgIGgWowk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXgIGgWowk4[/video]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    When going out to purchase a car. Do you sit in the showroom, start the car, and floor the gas pedal?

I never dry fire a weapon!
    I object profusely after IDPA or other matches. After careful inspection of weapon. I can not just DEcock my weapon.
    I have to dry fire it.
    When I purchase a weapon. I always ask for a snap-cap. I also will not let someone dry fire one that I am selling. I always carry a snap-cap.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    When going out to purchase a car. Do you sit in the showroom, start the car, and floor the gas pedal?

I object profusely after IDPA or other matches. After careful inspection of weapon. I can not just DEcock my weapon.
    I have to dry fire it.
    When I purchase a weapon. I always ask for a snap-cap. I also will not let someone dry fire one that I am selling. I always carry a snap-cap.

What's the reasoning behind your hatred of dry-firing?

Street Howitzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2013
    South Bend
    use common sense people Dry firing is fine if you've double checked for an empty chamber. If I'm fondling a trigger at a gun store, I've got the gun pointed at the ground between my feet or off to the side slightly.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

I have to dry fire it.
    I'm truly baffled by a competition shooter with this mentality. Dry fire practice is a HUGE part of training to be competative.

In your defense, you did specify IDPA, so I assume you're used to unnecessary restrictions keeping you from achieving your full potential. :laugh:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)

I have to dry fire it.

Starting the engine would be like loading, flooring it would be like actually shooting. What is being discussed here is sitting in the drivers seat making vroom vroom noises and turning the wheel. Would you buy a car without turning the steering wheel? Most won't buy without a test drive, and most people on this forum that I've seen would let another person shoot their firearm to test it out, similar to test driving a car. In fact most recommend this procedure, but not everyone is on INGO, not everyone cares to actually test shoot, and not everyone has the time and/or resources to do anything but dry-fire in store to verify the trigger complements them.

For most firearms this process is completely harmless to and a quick check with the employee should be sufficient to obtain approval. Now I'm not going to begin to start the argument about the competence of sed employees, but my conscience would be clear at that point.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom