• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    .19 and still functioning is an alcoholic.

If I was .19 I would be laying on the floor and the world would be spinning.

He spent 2 hours getting his car serviced and dropped his kids off at soccer.

If he didn't have a drink in 3 hours before work and 2 hours after the crash....well my Internet quarterback money is on he was drinking all morning.

Last edited:

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    It completely depends on the person, but it's definitely not a small amount...Especially since we are talking about an officer on the job and not Joe Shmoe hanging out at his house playing drinking games with his buddies.

On average it's about .02 per drink and every hour you lose .02, so if he just started he would have had to have had about 10 shots or 10-12 ounces beers in an hour.

If he had been drinking for 4 hours, he would have had to have about 14 drinks to register that high and so on...

That guy was a serious drunk.

Im curious.

Tonight on Fox59, I heard that he was not tested at the scene, but hours later, through blood; Which he was then tested to be over the limit.

Prior to the test, no officer reported knowing of any signs of him being drunk.

Is it possible he drunk after the wreck?

Based on what Bazooka Joe posted, he would have had to drink a lot. If he drank that much after the wreck, I think someone would have seen him drinking or smelled it on him.

Fox59 just said he goes to court in 1 hour.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I'm going to throw something out here for some to think about. This does not remove any of my opinions as what he did was wrong and he will be punished for that so please don't think I am standing up for him.

everyone is thinking he was drinking on duty.....honestley I doubt he was. If I had to hazard a guess I would venture to say he was drinking the night before and got really trashed and then went to work the next day and the alcohol was still in his system.

Again......that scenario does not make anything right.......the facts are still the facts.

Drinking the night before and still had a BAC of .19 !!!!!????

I would have to work pretty hard to acheive a .19, let alone a .19 after I've had time to sleep it off!

I would hazard to guess that if he could do that, get up for work, and still function with a .19 then it wasn't his first time. How did this guy slip through the cracks?

If a CDL driver got into an accident where someone was killed then the first thing they are gonna do is give a breathalyzer AND **** in a cup.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm going to throw something out here for some to think about. This does not remove any of my opinions as what he did was wrong and he will be punished for that so please don't think I am standing up for him.

everyone is thinking he was drinking on duty.....honestley I doubt he was. If I had to hazard a guess I would venture to say he was drinking the night before and got really trashed and then went to work the next day and the alcohol was still in his system.

Again......that scenario does not make anything right.......the facts are still the facts.

After what Fletch said earlier(.7 and still coherent), NOTHING is out of the realm of possibility...

With that being said, .19 after "sleeping it off"(and being up for several hours before work to boot) is INSANE.

For your scenario to be true, I would NOT want to see what that guys liver looks like. He must be polishing off a liter or more of liquor _every_day_ to have a tolerance like that.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    In my opinion this guy is not going to get treated like a non-Leo, they are going to keep is as "hush hush" as possible, because honestly it does look very bad for the department and the other officers that don't drink or drive drunk on duty, not that drinking and driving off duty is exceptable either. hopefully he will get punished like a non Leo would, but if My accusations are right he probably won't. I also think that it is going to be harder to keep It quiet with Leo's being in the spotlight a bit more, but they will still try to. I don't think the system is corrupt.....
    Looks like you are wrong. The Indianapolis Star is all over this story.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Any alcohol in his system while on duty is too much. He plowed right over 3 people while sitting at a light. No excuse what so ever. He should have been tested right there on the spot like you or me or anyone else. Its not like they ran into him.
    Again prayers sent to the victims and their families.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    How drunk would you have to get to sleep it off and still blow a .19? What time did the wreck occur?

This is a generalization, but an average male will metabolize/excrete approximately .01 to .015 points of alcohol per hour AFTER their BAC has peaked assuming no further alcohol consumption.

Assuming that no drinking after the wreckat approximately 11:00 am, the .19 at 1:00 would seem to indicate that an "average person" would have been roughly .21-.22 or so at the time of the wreck.

Assuming 8 hours of non-drinking before the wreck, the "average person" would have been in the .29-.35 range at his peak.

This is of course all purely theoretical and speculative as there is no such thing as the "average person" and absorption/metabolization rates vary based upon a large number of factors and we have no idea of the pre-wreck drinking timeline.

Joe

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have to wonder why he still hasn't been arrested and processed. Most of us would have have already had to go through with it. And maybe we would have even been able to make bail.

Not knowing the details, it would seem that someone kept a cool head. Apparently they issued a warrant, notified him and allow him to surrender rather than sending a SWAT team to initiate a confrontation with a trained and experienced police officer in his own home. It doesn't seem that he is much of a flight risk.

I notice that some posters on this forum have a double standard when it comes to law officers accused of doing wrong. What is it? Just a general contempt for authority?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    This is a generalization, but an average male will metabolize/excrete approximately .01 to .015 points of alcohol per hour AFTER their BAC has peaked assuming no further alcohol consumption.

Assuming that no drinking after the wreckat approximately 11:00 am, the .19 at 1:00 would seem to indicate that an "average person" would have been roughly .21-.22 or so at the time of the wreck.

Assuming 8 hours of non-drinking before the wreck, the "average person" would have been in the .29-.35 range at his peak.

This is of course all purely theoretical and speculative as there is no such thing as the "average person" and absorption/metabolization rates vary based upon a large number of factors and we have no idea of the pre-wreck drinking timeline.

Joe

also maybe they already worked all that out when they released the numbers? so maybe they calculated he was at .19 during the accident?

either way its rediculous. any idea if he's out of court or what happened today?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    We have functioning alcoholics here at work. Everyone knows they're drunks, and they even drink at work, but they've been doing it so long that it's just tolerated, and they haven't royally screwed up anything yet. At least no more so than the sober guys.

You'd be amazed at what people will let slide, alcohol wise, as long as the person "does a good job."

It's very obvious too. Having consumed enough booze to know what a drunk smells like, I can smell the hooch oozing out of one guy from 5 feet away while he chomps on his gum.

There is no way the other officers didn't know about this guys problem. Unless he just has that little contact with other officers.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Not knowing the details, it would seem that someone kept a cool head. Apparently they issued a warrant, notified him and allow him to surrender rather than sending a SWAT team to initiate a confrontation with a trained and experienced police officer in his own home. It doesn't seem that he is much of a flight risk.

I notice that some posters on this forum have a double standard when it comes to law officers accused of doing wrong. What is it? Just a general contempt for authority?

I can only speak for myself, but isn't it at least worth considering that someone entrusted with so much power be held to a higher standard?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

Huh?... Not a flight risk. HE IS A MURDERER, plain and simple. It's called VEHICULAR HOMICIDE. The INNOCENT GUY on the motorcycle was murdered. IMO, I would think someone who has commited a MURDER (and is still on the streets) might be a flight risk...

And, for your SWAT reference, don't forget about the thread I posted about the SWAT team raiding the home and killing the family dog...just to find a joint. I guess the police figured the guy smoking doobies IN HIS HOME was more dangerous than a MURDERER on the streets.

I think you've got it backwards.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It is a tragedy that this had to happen.

I wonder if the drunk was a happy drunk, or a funny drunk, or just your run-of-the-mill drunk. I'm told there is a difference.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

thats funny. i respect authority when they respect the authority they are entrusted with, and therefore me. calling out people in authority for abusing their power is just holding them accountible. just like they would me, if i ran a stop sign. We self police ourselves daily by allowing them to have the authority. saying people have contempt for authority is like saying "if I have nothing to hide i will let you search my car". I will first tell you politely NO. then if you persist i will tell you to go eff off, i dont care what authority you think you have, its not enough.

the moment we allow anyone in this country to have unchecked authority, is when we will lose the rest of our freedoms that havent already been stolen. people in "authoruty" who abuse it love the people who kiss ass and "go along" with anything and everything they say because that gives them ultimate authority. I dont need anyone in a badge, camo, a suit, etc, to give me permission to live my life a free man. I earned it by being born here.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Huh?... Not a flight risk. HE IS A MURDERER, plain and simple. It's called VEHICULAR HOMICIDE. The INNOCENT GUY on the motorcycle was murdered. IMO, I would think someone who has commited a MURDER (and is still on the streets) might be a flight risk...

And, for your SWAT reference, don't forget about the thread I posted about the SWAT team raiding the home and killing the family dog...just to find a joint. I guess the police figured the guy smoking doobies IN HIS HOME was more dangerous than a MURDERER on the streets.

I think you've got it backwards.

I'm not an attorney. I'm not defending this man for what he has been accused. Whether or not someone is a flight risk is one factor a judge considers when deciding whether or not bond will be granted and if so, how much. Another factor is if he or she is a danger to the community. Apparently the legal system decided that this man wasn't a significant flight risk, nor a danger to the community.

I can't respond to your reference about the drug bust. I'm not familiar with the case to which you are referring, but it doesn't seem pertinent to this particular instance.

As far as the double standard issue, apparently I have it right.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom