• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    I think someone can say something bad about every gunshop in the area. My biggest complaint with Don's was the lack of professionalism. I am in my mid 30's and have owned/shot my share of guns and worked my share of gunshows. When you go into a gunshop and are called a liar to your face, I will not be shopping there again any time soon. And by the way, a used S&W 60-2 does not cost $600 anywhere but Don's.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I go ther alot just to fondle guns im thinking about buying. Their prices are literally 30% t0 40% higher than anywhere else in the city...including pops. There range time prices are very very unreasonable for the cold, dimmly lit, tight quarters that they provide. Ammo prices are so high i literally crack a smile like WTF when you see the price. $30 to $40 for a 50 box of target ammo...really dude?

Good example.... I bought my M&P off of budsgunshop for 479.00. Dons has it for 799.99 no upgrapes...same exact pistol. OMG!!! $320.99 mark up?!?!?!?!

Save your time if your actually thinking about buying something and go somewhere else.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    They sell mostly junk "saturday night specials"

Granted, it been a few years since I have been in Don's but they had good brand names guns just like Bradis or PSS. But they catered to a class of people that had the mentality more so than the finances of "saturday night specials". I think a quality 2-3" revolver will always have a place in my collection.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I bought an AR from Don's North 22 years ago. I was fresh out of the Marine Corps and Don gave me a great deal. I paid $841 out the door for a brand new AR15A2 HBar National Match. I don't think you can get those kinds of prices today.

We used to shoot at the North range a lot. Always felt that store was the best.

I've only been to the west store twice. Both times I witnessed an employee telling a customer how to fill out the 4473 if they wanted to by a gun. Once there were two guys, one wanted a gun, but admitted that he was a felon. The other guy said he would buy it, and filled out the 4473. He answered the straw purchase question wrong. The employee got a new form went through the it and told him "You must answer yes that you are bying this gun for yourself or I can't sell it to you. Do you understand?". I could not believe that they would steer people toward straw purchases. The whole time that thug #2 was filling out the paperwork thug #1 was playing with the gold-plated whatever kind of junk it was.

Drive about 25 minutes to Plainfield. You'll get a much better deal from much better people.

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Don't bother going there unless your pockets are deep even to use the range not to mention buying a firearm there. My son and I went there because we wanted to shoot an AR he had just bought. We thought yea bad neighborhood ( we are armed) High prices on firearms (we are not buying them there) Range 17.00 to shoot a rifle, ok we will go, so we went and we shot. 1. they put you on a timer, not one that just tracks your time, but one that turns the light off, so you are in the middle of shooting your weapon and wtf the light goes off. So you go out get someone to turn your light back on( the timers are not on time either)2. we shot 1hr. was 60.00 for two of us
    ( my son did buy 1.5hrs for a very small discount) which we still have not used in six months. 3. people in there are shady, customers and staff alike. I will not be going back, I suggest you find a conservation club in your area believe there is a tread on here somewhere under places to shoot. I live in INDY and go to PopGuns(hand guns and rifles 22lr), wilbur wright wildlife (hand 25yd,shotgun,rifles50yd) in Newcastle,IN, Crosley wildlife(hand 10yd,shotgun,rifle 25yd,50yd,100yd,200yd) in N Vernon,in.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    I bought an AR from Don's North 22 years ago. I was fresh out of the Marine Corps and Don gave me a great deal. I paid $841 out the door for a brand new AR15A2 HBar National Match. I don't think you can get those kinds of prices today.

We used to shoot at the North range a lot. Always felt that store was the best.

I've only been to the west store twice. Both times I witnessed an employee telling a customer how to fill out the 4473 if they wanted to by a gun. Once there were two guys, one wanted a gun, but admitted that he was a felon. The other guy said he would buy it, and filled out the 4473. He answered the straw purchase question wrong. The employee got a new form went through the it and told him "You must answer yes that you are bying this gun for yourself or I can't sell it to you. Do you understand?". I could not believe that they would steer people toward straw purchases. The whole time that thug #2 was filling out the paperwork thug #1 was playing with the gold-plated whatever kind of junk it was.

Drive about 25 minutes to Plainfield. You'll get a much better deal from much better people.
    What place in plainfield are you speaking of?

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'll go to Don's with the wife and look at guns and prices that way when I go to Bradis and see the same gun the wife thinks I'm getting a killer deal and let me buy it. Other than that I will not do business at Don's. Also only use Pop's to get ammo when its hard to find, or get a holster, or shoot on their range once in a blue moon. Most of the time I can wait for a nicer day to go out to Wilbur Wright.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I went in this shop taday and high prices is an understatement. I was just looking around and wow. Ibought a Keltec P32 2 months ago brand new for $246 +tax. Dons price $400. Iooked at a Taurus pt1911 $799 and this was the low end blued model. Were I bought the Keltec that same 1911 was $526 with the good sights. So prices alone would keep me from going back and it was a shady place.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Was in there end of last week for grins...at the prices.... Ol' Don was in there. 4 people working, no other customers. Not one of em, including Don came to assist me in any way.

On a side note, looks like Don has one foot in the grave and the second not far behind....

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have heard some bad things about Don's guns. Words like "crooked" and "shady" and "sketchy" come to mind.

My question is this: Can anyone give me any actual reason why these words come up when Don's guns is in the conversation?

I imagine anyone can come up with some "he said she said", but does anyone have anything real to say about it?

I've never been there, but they have an indoor range and I live in Brownsburg so its not all that far away.

Any info from those in the know would be appreciated.

You want a laundry list?

Just walk in there and observe for a few minutes that should do it.

It has been several yeas since I went into Don's after returning to Indiana. My buddy and I drive up and there are one or two cops cars out front with their lights on. As we walk in a cop is walking out, mad. My buddy ask's him is it safe to go in there? And the cop responds in an angry tone, "Is it ever safe to go in there?". We go in and find out someone got shot on the indoor range. Some fun! As I look around I notice first the prices are not outrageous, they are ridiculous. I was wondering who would pay such prices. As I look around I'm thinking gangbanger's? Hey I know you should not judge a book by its cover, I also know to be aware of my surroundings. I left never to return.

Don has a bad rep nationally. I don't have any facts that he has broken the law. But I have observed his operation in action and want nothing to do with it. I think Don's cast a dark and negative shadow upon all gun owners.

MrBogok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Indy
    I dont know about anyonew else, but Ive actually seen an employee put a LOADED weapon in his back pocket, walk around for awhile, go for a smoke, then found his holster . Forget that dumb stuff

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I did an online search on them a while back and found that at the time Don's had the highest precentage of gun's sold that were later used in a crime...... no joke.

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    Decided to make a drive up to Indy from Bloomington one day with a buddy to check out a variety of different things. One of the things on the list was Don's Guns. This was the last place we decided to go and it was definitly not what I expected. The prices on the guns, ammo, and accessories were insane. The only deals the were offering were on .380's. Maybe thats due to the somewhat diffuculty in finding ammunition. Anyway, after being shell shocked by the prices my buddy and I overheard a conversation between a customer and an employee. This is no lie. The customer was asking what kind of ammunition he should purchase. This question would be no problem if he didn't add, "Best ammo for shooting at the police." Are you serious? Instead of the employee disregarding the question he began to inform the man. By this time my friend and I had enough of the store and left. By the prices in the store I could tell that Ol' Don was only trying to steal your $:twocents:$. I mean who sales a Hi-point pistol for over $300? The employess were all very questionable. I have been to quite a few gun shops and sporting stores, but this place was by far the worst. I have no plans to ever visit the shop again. I'm also really tired of seeing commercials for this shop were Don states that he doesn't want to make any money, he just loves to sale guns. Terrible store. Find someplace else to go if your in Indy. A lot of the other members on this website are very knowledgeable about the gun shops in that area and I found that the positives posted here are more often than not, correct.:ingo:

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Man, is Don's really that bad? I might have to go see it personally. Guess I better go during daylight hours though.

Top Bottom