• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I have heard some bad things about Don's guns. Words like "crooked" and "shady" and "sketchy" come to mind.

My question is this: Can anyone give me any actual reason why these words come up when Don's guns is in the conversation?

I imagine anyone can come up with some "he said she said", but does anyone have anything real to say about it?

I've never been there, but they have an indoor range and I live in Brownsburg so its not all that far away.

Any info from those in the know would be appreciated.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    I can't speak from incident, but with the neighborhood it's in, the people who frequent and the general vibe you get, I would avoid it. I definetly prefer Bradis on Kentucky ave

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Ridiculous prices,dishonest salespeople,lack of integrity,............I could go on but really just more bad news-been there once-never again:noway:

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    I can not say much about it or him, but I do know that he supported someone running for sheriff in johnson county 8 years ago and the person he supported was actually a crooked untrustworthy person, I am glad he didnt win.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    just walk in there and take a look at the prices of things like a used charter snubby for 400+ hahahahaha. Thats enough right there. I will say that they had speed-loaders for J-frames $1 cheaper than you will find them in most places.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to enjoy the store and indoor range Don had at here on the southside long ago. Though I was really young and dont remember prices I do remember it being nicer then Dons west. To bad currently his prices are insanely high.

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I imagine anyone can come up with some "he said she said", but does anyone have anything real to say about it?

Straight from my 2 eyes:

-employee smelling strongly of marijuana, bloodshot eyes with loaded gun walk into store and jump behind counter

-employee point a revolver at his own face from his hip while explaining gun safety, 2-3 minutes straight

-employee power yelling at customer, threatening him, to the point I thought a gun would be drawn (unsnapped holster), over customers GF taking a picture

-many other non-remembered happenings.

Avoid don's.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Do a search for Don's Guns around here, and you'll find several threads.

But the gist of it is:
    1) Insanely high prices.
    2) Unsafe range practices.
    3) Horrible customer service (unless you're willing to actually fall for the Insanely High Prices).

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    They had one of his TV spots on web soup tonight, the one were he like to rent guns, they actually took it as you can rent a gun from him and take it out of the shop, to funny on how some sheaple think!!

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I used to deliver to Don's 3-4 times a week and used to go there to shoot as far back as when he had the location on N. Keystone across from Butler Toyota. Prices have always been ridiculously high and employees questionable. The people around the west side store are no different the people on the near southside, just skin tone. If you have to shoot indoors then go there but don't buy anything. I don't ever have to shoot that bad though.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    don has always been good to me and my family (dad had a restaurant close to his old north store). I don't ever buy guns from him, but i can definately say he is a good guy.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've been in there a small handful of times more or less just looking around killing time. Aside from the asinine prices, I felt snubbed by most of the employees. I asked a few questions about some peices I was considering buying in the near future, each time I asked a question, I got referred to how much better this other (much more expensive) gun was. After I admitted that I wasn't interested in the higher priced peice, I pretty much got snubbed from that point on. Thats happened more than once. I've also personally overheard what I call "shady" business deals going on with the customer next to me on two different occasions. I have no plans of ever purchasing anything from Don's. Too many other stores that I feel deserve (and have earned) my business by treating me right. And that's not to say I'm a cheap-skate, I just want the service I expect.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Whenever I want to shoot indoors during bad weather, I go out to Pop Guns on the east side of town. I always get great service from employees who are friendly and knowledgable. My ONLY problem with the place is that I live in Brownsburg so its a nice little drive. But thats not actually a problem with Pop's itself.

I've never been to Don's. I guess I may swing by some time if I'm in the area and give the place a little look see.

It wasnt (isnt) my intention to create a hate thread about anyone or anyone's store, I was just trying to get a general idea why I would always hear negative things about that place.

Maybe I'll make a love thread for Pop's to make up for this one :yesway:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I've only had good experiences there.

I've never been, not over on that part of Indy much. But you'll find a lot of people here have not been happy with that place. You'll have a small amount of people who have had good experiences though! Which is why I said not much better than Dons!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Here is the most impostant reason

Try comparing the prices. Its a absolute joke. Its not uncommon for them to be double on firearms.
    Do you need any other reason? They target the... umm well lets see. SLOW, gang types that just want a cool, flashy looking gun. People that get in there and get caught up in the hype, shooting the guns and say, wow gotta have it. Its only 450.00. They buy it and have no idea they could have bought it at Braddis for half. They sell mostly junk "saturday night specials":ar15:

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Try comparing the prices. Its a absolute joke. Its not uncommon for them to be double on firearms.
    Do you need any other reason? They target the... umm well lets see. SLOW, gang types that just want a cool, flashy looking gun. People that get in there and get caught up in the hype, shooting the guns and say, wow gotta have it. Its only 450.00. They buy it and have no idea they could have bought it at Braddis for half. They sell mostly junk "saturday night specials":ar15:

This could be why I dont have anything bad to say about the place - I only ever buy range time from them. I've looked around at the selection a few times while waiting for a lane, but I guess I never paid a lot of attention to the prices...just looking at the guns, really.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Went with my brother-in-law a few years back, and he bought a used .22lr AK knock-off. Saw it at another store less than a week later about 150.00 less, and it was new...

"rented" it to test it in their indoor range. Yes, unsafe range practices, and high rental prices.

We never returned.

Top Bottom