• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    My 6 year old german shepherd is my family, I could never eat him, and if I turned him loose he'd just come back. I believe some dogs just have the instinct, maybe others don't. He obeys my commands, is friendly with other people/animals, but on a couple of occasions when with my ex he turned absolutely inside out protecting her from danger.

I don't expect him to protect me, I'm here to protect him. But if the time came, I think he would do whatever possible to get between me or my son and any bad that may come. I treat him as my own, and in return he brings me companionship, early warning, and amusement. He's earned his keep, and will be kept around 'til the bitter end.

On topic, he's 90lbs and eats a 44lb bag of 'Ol Roy a month ($16/bag). Aside from the dissaproving look from the vet at the very mention of such a lowly dog food, she says he's very healthy. So I stick with the cheap stuff.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My dog is golden retreiver and he's a big baby. We feed him the large yellow bags of pedigree. Staying a month or two ahead in dog food is a part of my preps, because for no more than what dog food costs why wouldn't I? I'd rather have one less mouth dipping into the family food supply if even for a brief period of time before he eventually has to. My dog is not a commando, and he's a 70 pound baby to people he knows. To other people especially when it's dark out he's an alarm system for us.

Like was mentioned in another post, I'm pretty sure I had some dog while over in Iraq myself, and if my kids were starving and we had no other option I'd use our dog to feed the kids. It'd be a gut wrenching taste to not only pull the trigger but to prep the meat, but if SHTF I've got no issues eating whatever I have to eat.

As far as packs of wild dogs go I would consider them to be a target of opportunity and taken out on sight. That's a security risk and I don't see why I'd let that walk on by.

Do any of you guys use those dog saddle bags with your dogs in the outdoors? From what I've seen I think they're supposed to work pretty good, and at least the dog could help carry some of it's own food or an extra box of 22lr ammo.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    flea meds

I’m glad so many people care about their pets. For those who are looking for a cheap source of flea meds to use & stock up with try Thriftyvet.com, they take Paypal. I have ordered from them and they are about half the price the vet charges.

Here’s a little trick the vet doesn’t always share. You can buy the largest dose & split it between your pets if you use a syringe (without needles, TSC sells them) to measure the dose. My dogs are all under 44#’s so I buy the year’s supply of the 89-132# 4.02 ml dog dose packets. I pour the contents of one or two dose packs into a glass bottle with an eyedropper top. I then use a syringe to measure 1.34ml which is the dose for dogs 23-45#’s. By buying the largest dog dose I can treat 3 of my dogs for less than $9 a month and that includes shipping. Or I can treat 8 stray or rescue cats and a kitten since the cat dose is .5 ml and the XL dog dose is 4.02 ml.
    You can use Frontline Plus for dogs for cats too however they do have a new product out that can be fatal to cats if you use the dog meds. Read labels before buying if you have both cats & dogs. Never use any flea meds on cats that have the word Advantix in the name or ingredients.

Frontline Plus conversion for Dogs
    Dogs 89-132 #’s 4.02 ml
    Dogs 45-88 #’s 2.68 ml
    Dogs 23-44 #’s 1.34 ml
    Dogs up to 22 #’s .67 ml
    Cats .5 ml

You can do the same with Advantage you just need to look up the dose on the correct weight box.

Thrifty Vet - Dog Products

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Maybe I am just a prick, but I just don't understand the Hype of Pets being part of the Family...
    Not sure, but I think Charlie Manson said something similar to his family once.

My dog never read the ingredients list on anything I gave her. All she knows is H U N G R Y spells D E A D. If you have to eat your dog or use your cat as a handmuff, you are in deep Sh** anyway. Store more rice and winter gloves.

If you die in the house, your animals will eat your face off and not even think twice about it.

Pets are like children, you can make more of them, the adults must survive. Until then, you love them both and they get all the dirty jobs.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    If you have to eat your dog or use your cat as a handmuff, you are in deep Sh** anyway. Store more rice and winter gloves.
    Wasn't it Call of the Wild where the jerk killed his dog to stay warm? Dumb sh*t died anyway, served him right.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Top Bottom